The Wheezycab

BTWheezy

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lockdown S1 E13... 1. Moved the Wheezycab down to a lower working platform for easier access to next steps. It’s heavy AF... 2.  Final trimming on drawer fronts and doors. Used a router bit

Lockdown S1 E25 (April 18th) Sh*t’s gettin’ real... Today was one of those insanely satisfying days.  I’ve been working on all the discrete parts and (seemingly) isolated tasks for a long-a$

BTWheezy,

Nice to have you back.  When I didn't see any posts for a while, was worried for your health; thought the COVID-19 might have got you.  As another amateur woodworker I have really enjoyed watching the difficult project you have undertaken.  I'm doing the same - been building a ManCave for over 2 years and now have the time to finally move onto the cabinetry, columns and trim work.  Not looking forward to the crown molding as this will be a first for me!  Love your shop!

Amazing work!

I can't wait until we see it filled.

• Like 1

It’s said that during the “Space Race” back in the 60’s, there was a big difference between the US and USSR:  the US program efforts (and by extension our failures) were broadcast on live TV, while the Soviets chose to keep a closer control on the media, and therefore didn’t show those failures.  Well, you can call me Comrade Wheezy now.  Yesterday was a slow-go, because it seemed that I made mistake-after-mistake.  

The main goal was drawer construction, which eventually came in for a soft-ish landing. But there were more than a few “explosions on the launch pad”. The biggest issue for me is that I don’t use math to calculate measurements ahead of time, and this 15 degree angle on the Wheezycab was the culprit. Trial-and-error eventually got me there, but holy cow...what a day.

Some pics:

1.  Cutting and prepping main cabinet drawer sides.  Cut to width, then rabbets across the board.  LOTS of cutting.

2. Spanish cedar slats cut to width, Chaos Dept.

3. Spanish cedar slats cut to width, OCD Dept.

0D2AE93D-CB4F-498F-AC31-D4CF64ED3BF1.jpeg

F625A9EE-DEA2-4924-A8C7-CE899C83C4B4.jpeg

7290CAE8-E3E7-4862-9017-EA7FD50235CC.jpeg

C1A9DAE4-28B0-4E0D-94AC-25C164AAFF35.jpeg

• Like 4

Looks great! I do love a good build along complete w photos of techniques. (photos are fun as well - nice use of light).

I was wondering if this was going to be a completely tailed tool build. Nice to see the old hand tools pop up. The flush cut Japanese saw and a well loved quality pocket plane are among my favorites (although a few years ago I went down a deep rabbit hole refurbishing old hand planes - so as they say I have a few sets). 

Dare I ask where you ordered your Spanish cedar and what it cost per BF delivered?

2 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

Looks great! I do love a good build along complete w photos of techniques. (photos are fun as well - nice use of light).

I was wondering if this was going to be a completely tailed tool build. Nice to see the old hand tools pop up. The flush cut Japanese saw and a well loved quality pocket plane are among my favorites (although a few years ago I went down a deep rabbit hole refurbishing old hand planes - so as they say I have a few sets). 

Dare I ask where you ordered your Spanish cedar and what it cost per BF delivered?

Hey Rhinoww - thanks for the kind words.  I mostly use modern power tools, but love the old school hand tools when possible. I’ve read about guys and hand planes (in particular), and that dangerous rabbit hole...kinda like Cuban cigars.

I live in the Seattle area, where we have a fantastic specialty lumber store called Crosscut Hardwoods within a relatively short drive (45 min with normal traffic, 25 min with coronavirus traffic).  Crosscut has an amazing range of lumber and specialty plywood *in stock*, and if you need something they don’t have, most likely they can get it.  I think I’m paying $7/board foot for Spanish cedar...but that doesn’t include delivery.

- Wheezy

9 hours ago, BTWheezy said:

Hey Rhinoww - thanks for the kind words.  I mostly use modern power tools, but love the old school hand tools when possible. I’ve read about guys and hand planes (in particular), and that dangerous rabbit hole...kinda like Cuban cigars.

I live in the Seattle area, where we have a fantastic specialty lumber store called Crosscut Hardwoods within a relatively short drive (45 min with normal traffic, 25 min with coronavirus traffic).  Crosscut has an amazing range of lumber and specialty plywood *in stock*, and if you need something they don’t have, most likely they can get it.  I think I’m paying $7/board foot for Spanish cedar...but that doesn’t include delivery.

- Wheezy

I’m very fortunate to live a few miles away from the Popular Woodworking old offices/shop. Great access to the team there when they (and I) were diving deeply into woodworking and hand tools. I was also active for some time at a great woodworking forum that like here was nothing but supportive and educational. I have slowed down on woodworking due to work and having made a number of the bigger pieces I needed for my home but still really enjoy the shop time when I can get it. 
almost done making a very fast shaker style desk as I had an immediate need for another desk in the house due to kids etc being home for the foreseeable future. 
it’s been fun to watch your project move along and I very much appreciate the thought and skills needed for your various angles. 

looking forward to seeing the finished product. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ha_banos said:

That looks very smart. Great going. Certainly was a good day.

And it was Cube, not T.

Dayum.  Shame on you Wheezy.  Get back into quarantine. 

You've insulted an entire generation, and the entire world. 

There is no place for rap bigotry.  

• Haha 2

• JohnS pinned this topic