The Wheezycab

BTWheezy

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lockdown S1 E13... 1. Moved the Wheezycab down to a lower working platform for easier access to next steps. It’s heavy AF... 2.  Final trimming on drawer fronts and doors. Used a router bit

Lockdown S1 E25 (April 18th) Sh*t’s gettin’ real... Today was one of those insanely satisfying days.  I’ve been working on all the discrete parts and (seemingly) isolated tasks for a long-a$

On 3/29/2020 at 10:33 AM, BTWheezy said:

@ha_banos - yep, it sure was Cube, not T.  So I guess it was a decent day on average!  My 90’s rap game isn’t super strong...alas.

On 3/29/2020 at 1:57 PM, rcarlson said:

Dayum.  Shame on you Wheezy.  Get back into quarantine. 

You've insulted an entire generation, and the entire world. 

There is no place for rap bigotry.  

Oh, my bad.  Thought we were talking about other Ices.  

image.jpeg.8f324be500932145f1a4e6a09fa1ba1c.jpeg

Keep posting.  I'm vicariously building a humidor here.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@rcarlson - my secret is safe with you. ??

@Destro - well, either I’ve struck a woodworking chord with you, or you’ve burned thru Netflix, Amazon Prime, AppleTV, and whatever other streaming platforms you have, and I’m last man standing. ?

• Haha 3

PFfftt...  Good lord.  Absolutely killer work.  Love everything about it.  Hope you're tracking your steps and pricing out your mats.

Step 3 finish project

Step 4 take gross * margin necessary to exceed dayjob

Step 5 toss in additional costs and labor

Step 6 calculate cost for model X

Step 7 toss it out to the world

• Like 1

@BTWheezy where did you land in terms of finishing protocol?  Curious which finish and if oil based?  Can’t quite tell if that was a wash coat of garnet shellac, a diluted oil finish or a few other things. 

will you be putting finish on the inside of the rails and stiles of the doors/drawers or leaving those bare?

Some tremendous progress here. A project that might have ordinarily taken many times as long gets done in what could be record time. One bright spot of the Rona. 

really well done. 

4 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

@BTWheezy where did you land in terms of finishing protocol?  Curious which finish and if oil based?  Can’t quite tell if that was a wash coat of garnet shellac, a diluted oil finish or a few other things. 

will you be putting finish on the inside of the rails and stiles of the doors/drawers or leaving those bare?

Some tremendous progress here. A project that might have ordinarily taken many times as long gets done in what could be record time. One bright spot of the Rona. 

really well done. 

@Rhinoww - I’m using a water-based finish from Minwax (satin finish).  I chose water-based because I find them far less noxious, and the brush clean up is just lots of water.  Everything I’ve read about the *performance* of modern water-based finishes is that they’re on par (better in some cases) with any traditional oil-based finishes.  Yes, there are aesthetic differences with oil-based polys, shellacs, etc. but for me...water-based is the best.

Interior pieces are naked.  Drawer fronts, and the insides of the doors are finished (of course).  And yeah, with the weather in Seattle getting nicer, I’d have been playing golf rather than shop time. I’ve got a personal goal to finish the cabinet before our state lockdown is lifted (currently slated for May 4th).

Thanks for the questions...happy to answer whatever.

- Wheezy

• Like 1

Great work my friend! Looks like you’re getting close to being able to load it up. 

Make sure you season it well beforehand. 

I took two weeks with my Aristocrat.  

• Thanks 1

Freaking awesome man!

Can't imagine the geometry to make that work.

Quite impressed! 

• Thanks 1

You should either let that one be the one of a kind gem that it is going to be or consider starting to taking orders.  You're going to get a lot of interest here.  Thanks for the post.  I appreciate craftsmen so much because I don't have the patience it takes to make something that cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chibearsv said:

You should either let that one be the one of a kind gem that it is going to be or consider starting to taking orders.  You're going to get a lot of interest here.  Thanks for the post.  I appreciate craftsmen so much because I don't have the patience it takes to make something that cool.

@Chibearsv - thanks for the kind words.  This will definitely be a one-off for personal use.  While I enjoy working in the shop, and my skills have improved over the years, I can’t compare to actual production cabinet shops.  Sure, their designs may be fairly generic, but they have proper work facilities, production-grade machines, etc. to produce enough volume to make a living.  In short, I’ll leave this space to the professionals like Avallo and Vigilant.  ?

- Wheezy

• Like 1

• JohnS pinned this topic