2016 EL opinions

Just wanted to hear how you guys are liking them recently?

Topez ive been through a lot of them, havent smoked one in a year but its one of the best LEs ever in my opinion

Capuletos i absolutely hated when it came out, have smoked two of them in the last couple of weeks and its come to be a very decent cigar

Dantes are still quite available, never payed too much attention to it, curious to hear how you guys feel about it

I agree, the Topes is one of the best ELs I've had. I've had several and they were all 94-95 points--a huge feat for an EL. Certainly a top 10--maybe a top 5.

The Capuletos were below average for me and the Dantes I've actually never had, but the balance of feedback I've seen is generally not great. 

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I agree, the Topes is one of the best ELs I've had. I've had several and they were all 94-95 points--a huge feat for an EL. Certainly a top 10--maybe a top 5.

The Capuletos were below average for me and the Dantes I've actually never had, but the balance of feedback I've seen is generally not great. 

Certainly in recent memory the topez is up there...ive really loved to soberanos too though.

Agree with you, capuletos is very nice but not worth a premium for me, i think a lot of people werent fans of the size of the dantes

As is the same with most I believe the Topes was by far the best of the releases mentioned.  While not a fan of the size on any of them, flavors were good through each.  I was surprised at how much I liked the Dantes and thought it was worth the pricing as it wasn't super premium.  The Capuletos I picked up on a whim because of the PSP pictures - thanks El Prez! Honestly - its a very consistent cigar.... but it is a higher price, but higher quantity.  It will be interesting to see where these are in 5-7 years.

Of all of the above to come in a 25ct box - I would have been happier with a 25ct box of either the Dantes or certainly a 24ct of the Topes over the R&J Capuleto. 

30 minutes ago, HavanaSunday said:

Of all of the above to come in a 25ct box - I would have been happier with a 25ct box of either the Dantes or certainly a 24ct of the Topes over the R&J Capuleto. 

i hear that thought process however there is something about 10s and 12s in the trinidad case that makes them more approachable...you end up actually buying multiple boxes.

for instance i would have bought this years montecristo supremos in a 10 box, however a 25 box for 500 euro is a lot to sink in one go.

19 minutes ago, dan benhamou said:

interesting the replies...no one has tried the Dantes, is this because of the size? negative reviews?

Tried the Dantes multiple times - yuck.

Capuletos were meh for me.

Loved the Topes but sold most of them when they hit crazy prices.

I thought both the Capuletos and Dante's were good when I had them young (typical marca flavours), haven't had one recently yet to assess their aging. 

Prices of Dante's seem to be around US20-ish, which is a fair price in my opinion. I would describe it as a slightly poorer cousin to the 80 anniversary stick.

Finally got my hands on the topes recently and tried it, fantastic smoke like everyone else mentioned. 

I got a sampler from Prez that had 2 of each. 

I have had several of the Dantes and I like them. I have a couple boxes including one that has some incredible dark wrappers with oily sheen. Those are going to sit a few more years before breaking into them. 

I had one of the Capuletos  and it was good. Chocolate and cherry bomb. I still have one more. 

I haven’t either of the Topes I have because the way the price was going I thought I might be able to retire on them. Thinking I will try one soon. 

if anyone has a 5er of the Capuletos they want to sell go ahead a reach out. 

I've tried 2 sticks of Dantes. First 1 was fantastic and made go out and procure a box. 2nd one I tried from the said procured box was average. Will try them again in a few months to see if have improved. I have only tried a single Topes and would say after that trial I'm not interested in trying to obtain anymore and most definitely not at the price.

I tried the Dantes and it was in the bottom quartile of Cubans I’ve ever had, excluding ones that sucked due to construction or burn issues. Love all Monte when they are firing properly. Unfortunately that’s not often enough. I only had the non LE Topes so I cannot comment on the actual 16 and I haven’t smoked my only capuleto I’ve got. Hearing great things about them coming into their own finally.