La Flor de Cano Magicos Regional Edition Spain

They only came out today. 

I've got some en route. Will post up here when tried. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

I can’t remember the last good regional from Spain. Probably Legendarios. 

100%. Its been years since they've had a hit in my book as well. And its realllllly damn hard to have these regionals be consistent when theres 50K boxes being manufactured at 7+ different factories. I barely have faith for the same factory to produce consistent quality over a time frame of a few months.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

I can’t remember the last good regional from Spain. Probably Legendarios. 

Don't agree at all. I think the LGC Serie D No 5 is more than ok and the Saint Luis Rey Tesoros from 2016 is one of my favorite cigars ever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cubadust said:

Don't agree at all. I think the LGC Serie D No 5 is more than ok and the Saint Luis Rey Tesoros from 2016 is one of my favorite cigars ever.

Yes the Tesoros has turned out to be a very good cigar! Much better than the Marquez.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, GavLew79 said:

@cbenham73, they've been resting a couple of weeks now. First impressions...

IMG_20200318_194002.thumb.jpg.5e966048da825311d7d03304b099ebc1.jpg

First few puffs are very flavourful; coffee, chocolate and with a charred, resinous woody note on the back palate. This was started with a Czech beer partner. 

IMG_20200318_195403.thumb.jpg.570f0e0f391a6d1a3633f1f162aa4db8.jpg

These are very young and felt a bit spongy so I was expecting that green, acrid youthfulness. Thankfully, it was very mild, almost imperceptible if I smoked slowly. 

Burn was great. Draw was great. Very even. Wrapper stayed lit. 

Second third brings a mushroomy, gamey, earthy 'forest floor' character with savouriness but still wrapped up in a dark chocolate underbelly. 

IMG_20200318_203647.thumb.jpg.197dde76973a1611fdedf81476304290.jpg

I switched to red wine (a ripe Spanish Syrah/Grenache blend) and this actually rounded out the flavour muting the woodiness while bringing in a slight sweetness. 

The final third yielded, along with the chocolate and 'forest floor', a floral/perfumey character that lilted in and out. 

Plenty of mouth-filling, voluminous smoke throughout. Lots of flavours, complex, but a little 'all over the shop' in its delivery. Delicious, but a little unhinged. 

Conclusion: 6 months rest and try again. 

91/100 but hinting at 95+ potential down the line. Get some!

IMG_20200318_194021.jpg

Thanks, been waiting for a review on these!

• Thanks 1

Interesting that nearly all of the LFDC special releases seem to be anything but similar to the mild regular production reputation. I've not yet had any of them including the OG Grandiosos and Gran Cano but am looking forward to trying one at some point.

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, Skypilot said:

The review makes them sound like a worthwhile pick up. Does anyone have a comparison with these and the La Flor de Cano Robusto RE Netherlands 2018? The sizing is similar.

I’ve have not smoked any of these, but I’ve smoked 4+ boxes of the LFDC Robusto, and this review reads like a description of those, depending on wrapper color (dark wrappered ones). The light wrappered ones are more floral. 

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

I’ve have not smoked any of these, but I’ve smoked 4+ boxes of the LFDC Robusto, and this review reads like a description of those, depending on wrapper color (dark wrappered ones). The light wrappered ones are more floral. 

Thank you. I hope to try both in the near future. It’s interesting how much wrapper colors can vary and how much the color can Impact flavors. 

20 hours ago, Sandman said:

@Sandmanhow are the robusto

• 1 month later...

After smoking a few more Magicos I'm revising my score up a point. 94.

The first Magicos wasn't my first cigar of the day and it was also after a meal and into early evening. I just wasn't able to grasp the flavor of this cigar properly. As I smoke mainly stronger cigars I have to "de-tune" a bit for a lighter smoke and I definitely can't smoke it after a stronger cigar or later in the day, especially after a meal.

After smoking the Magicos as a first cigar of the day I really tasted how pleasant these flavors are. It's excellent--maybe the best lighter cigar I've had in a long time. I might actually upgrade it to under medium to be honest. 

This would be a great cigar in the regular production lineup. Just a fantastic morning/ early afternoon cigar. And construction and burn have been outstanding for all 3 I've had.

• Like 4

Thanks for the reviews, these just came into my local cigar lounge and the wrappers looked amazing so was going to try but then was tempted by the Monte supremos so had that instead.  I'll have a try next time as it does sound like a great starter smoke.

• 1 month later...

Just had one and I thought it was fantastic, especially given it's relatively affordable price tag as a regional release.  My palate is not great so it's usually binary for me, 1 or 0.  This is a 1 all day. Excited to see what it would evolve into in a few years. 

• 5 weeks later...

Just had one of these and I thought it was superb. Perfect draw. Started off with a very sweet, toasted tobacco. Transitioned into a very nice floral flavor and aroma, maintaining that sweetness. Then mild earth and coffee. I would say mild to just barely medium for me. On the very end of the stick some leather as well. That nice sweet tobacco flavor was prevalent throughout. A total joy to smoke. If I was pressed to rate this I’d give it a 93. I’d say definitely pick some up. 

5406CB77-1B08-4052-A826-A19F96366121.jpeg

• Like 4