Green leaf in foot?

Hello all. Had a box of Bolivar Coronas Juniors come in, MSU 2018. Going through the box found a handful with white mold spots that I just wiped off. Also noted a few cigars with some leaf in the feet that appears greenish. I have seen this a few times before and went into some other boxes and found similar feet. Is this mold or simply a leaf that wasn’t fully fermented? All the other cigars from my humi that had a similar look were also bolivar.. I’m guessing not mold just leaf color. Thanks! 

A03A23A0-7FDB-4474-9A9A-59221DF4A32C.jpeg

3F20C273-436A-4260-BBA7-FC2A633511EE.jpeg

99EBD7E1-1769-4D1F-ABB2-ED3D86D5B103.jpeg

I posed the same question here before. The answer I got was that it happens when leaves don’t complete the fermentation process. Not sure the whole truth but that’s the only explanation I’ve gotten so far. Haven’t had enough to say if it impacts flavor.  

FAB2C4A2-2ED3-4809-8688-430F8E2D9F2A.jpeg

Thank you for the replies. I was under the assumption that this was the case rather than mold, but I just wanted to be sure since I had quite a bit of "plum" ;) on the wrappers. At this point I would love to know if anyone has ever noticed a difference in flavor or has done some sort of taste comparison. I think this is something I will be doing and reporting back with in the future... 

I've always thought it was just leaf that didn't ferment properly, and could absolutely have a negative impact on flavor 

In my experience sticks like these tend to taste bitter and harsh.
  • Like 1

As mentioned, I plan to do a comparison hopefully in the next few weeks. I'll dive into some 2013 boxes to find one with a fair amount of green and one without. I will smoke them blind and report back. 

On 3/5/2020 at 5:55 AM, garbandz said:

Candela......fully fermented,still green.

quick drying can cause tobacco leaf to retain the green color.

This.  

The issue likely occurred during color curing.  If the leaves dry too quickly after harvest, some chlorophyll is preserved.  I doubt that a few green spots will have any impact on the flavor of the cigar, but please let us know what you find!