Video Review - Cohiba Esplendido - UAO JUL 19


Recommended Posts

I recently cracked one out of the same box code and it was splendid. I'm partial to Esplendidos and the sample I had hit every mark as I would expect it. I get a similar grin on my face as both Ken and Pres when smoking one. My thoughts are "life is good". Nice review

Link to post
Share on other sites

You gents have been teasing each other about who Jose gave that box too for years...this video is from 2011...go to minute 1:20. 

Also where is the application form to be the new Ken....I'd like to apply for the under 35 Canadian Ken 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, benfica_77 said:

You gents have been teasing each other about who Jose gave that box too for years...this video is from 2011...go to minute 1:20. 

Also where is the application form to be the new Ken....I'd like to apply for the under 35 Canadian Ken 

 

apply to be the new rob. the other position is filled. 

i do get a giggle out of that original box as it irritates whipcrack no end. 

it came about as Jose, who was my friend - rob had not even met him at that stage and in fact, did not know he existed till i told him - needed a cheapie laptop. i was travelling all over the place around europe for several weeks before cuba, but rob was catching us by going straight there from australia so i suggested he bring it as he should meet jose and certainly should try and get on his right side as he is a terrific bloke (as all who know him will attest) and very useful to a bloke in the cigar industry.

jose was very grateful and so got me a box of esplendidos and rob a box of mag 50s or something as a thanks. rob has always assumed that if he got there before i did, as we were at different places that arvo before we met up with jose, then he would have got the esplendidos. not so!! 

mind you, i reckon he had smoked about 8 of mine before we even left the Island. on the other hand, i was never offered a single stick of his.

what annoyed rob even more was that the box of esplendidos was a special one, having been awarded originally to Jose as Team Player of the Year or something by Habanos and had been specially selected as, as good a box as they could find at the time. and it really was good. 

well done, Jose!! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rguinn said:

Is that a Michter’s 10 Yr bourbon I see you swapped over to in the final 3rd? One of my all time favorites ?

we were going to but rob decided we'd had enough bourbon and it could wait for another review, if i remember correctly. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@El Presidente you forgot the possible introduction of 'Trans-Ken'.    Off course you'll have to turn the decks balcony into one-stop-shop for all and sundry when it comes to natures call.    The 'Mighty Quinn" Esky  might have to be requisitioned as a sanitary bin. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ken Gargett With regards to the recent successful pairings of Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair,  and the Mitchers Rye.   Are you finding that a certain degree of salinity is working well with cigars.    Personally for me anything peaty is a massive turn off, hence why I often think whisky is a poor pairing.   Yet whether it be any of the 'maritime' whisky's like Stiuireadair, Old Pulteney, or Rye (which I often find to bring a savoury salty quality),   Do you think this accentuates and the sweetness in a given cigar?

Personally I can get enough of Old Pulteney with cigars, particularly Trinidads. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In short (and accurate form). 

Ken asks Jose "What can I bring you from Australia"

Jose says " I could really use a laptop!"

Ken has no money

Ken calls Rob

Rob Buys laptop

Jose brings 2 boxes of cigars as contra for the laptop. 

I arrive 5 minutes late.

Ken claims the better box of Esplendidos for himself. 

 

Now does that sound like Ken?  Yep   :rolleyes:

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

In short (and accurate form). 

Ken asks Jose "What can I bring you from Australia"

Jose says " I could really use a laptop!"

Ken has no money

Ken calls Rob

Rob Buys laptop

Jose brings 2 boxes of cigars as contra for the laptop. 

I arrive 5 minutes late.

Ken claims the better box of Esplendidos for himself. 

 

Now does that sound like Ken?  Yep   :rolleyes:

 

nice to see that one of the brothers grimm is still with us and in form!! 

if i recall, i had been speaking to Jose and he needed a laptop. i am talking to rob. tells me that he has an old one that jose can have. he doesn't use it any more. all well and good. as i am spending several weeks in vineyards in europe pre cuba, much easier for rob to bring it over.

i find out many weeks later, after we are back in Oz and he is still bleating, that he could not find the old one or it was broken or ben had it or something went wrong. by this stage, i am away so rob grabs one at the local. which i will concede was good of him. 

contra is such an ugly word and i never looked at it that way. others may have lower standards. we helped out a brother in cuba who was in need and he very kindly gave us each a present, which he most certainly never needed to do. or was your kind act only based on what you might gain from it? your old priests would be spinning in their jail cells. 

i would also point out that, as you confess to not being there, how could you possibly know what happened. 

and if i may, i would also point out that this was your introduction to jose. has he really not been both a wonderful friend and an enormous assistance to your empire? surely that is at least worth the tiny difference you perceive in those cigars? to be honest, you should be showering me with boxes of esplendidos yourself, for such a great introduction. 

however, most telling here is your confession to the appalling sin of a lack of punctuality (you were late) and if indeed your fairy tale was true then may i just say, as someone who greatly values punctuality, karma!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ken Gargett said:

 

contra is such an ugly word and i never looked at it that way. others may have lower standards. we helped out a brother in cuba who was in need and he very kindly gave us each a present, which he most certainly never needed to do. or was your kind act only based on what you might gain from it? your old priests would be spinning in their jail cells. 

 

Your a scammer and you know it.  :cigar:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 99call said:

@Ken Gargett With regards to the recent successful pairings of Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair,  and the Mitchers Rye.   Are you finding that a certain degree of salinity is working well with cigars.    Personally for me anything peaty is a massive turn off, hence why I often think whisky is a poor pairing.   Yet whether it be any of the 'maritime' whisky's like Stiuireadair, Old Pulteney, or Rye (which I often find to bring a savoury salty quality),   Do you think this accentuates and the sweetness in a given cigar?

Personally I can get enough of Old Pulteney with cigars, particularly Trinidads. 

before answering that, can i ask do you mean you hate the peaty flavours with cigars or you just hate them? i know some do. 

i absolutely love that peaty smoky character. heaven. islay rules, for me. sure, others don't agree. but if we are at odds there, then i suspect we'll struggle to get on the same page elsewhere. 

i do find that character does lift the cigar but whether it is across the board for the cigar or focusing on the sweetness, i have not really considered. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

before answering that, can i ask do you mean you hate the peaty flavours with cigars or you just hate them? i know some do.

Peat monsters are not my favourite, but I do appreciate some, (if I'm in the mood)  but never with cigars.   

I find peated whisky to have  a strong association with winter and brooding, dank feeling .    To me, cigars are the polar opposite, summery, lively, and bright.   I also find the finish of peated whisky is very very long, and overpowers cigars.    Just my opinion though. 

Conversely,  for some reason these 'maritime' salty whiskies are light, and fruity and honied,  seemingly (to me at least) not butting heads, with successful cigar pairing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, rcarlson said:

Thoughts? 

Exactly as described in the review - well, I guess it should be with the same box code! LOL

My read is that they can certainly take some more time - although the one I had was marvelous!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.