Gifted a NewAir CC-300H! Need some help!

MasterYotti

Hello fellow FOH’ers!

I am fortunate enough to have a wonderful wife who surprised me with a NewAir CC-300H for my birthday and since I am new to FOH and have never had a humidor larger than 100 count, I have several questions that I would greatly appreciate some help answering! After plenty of hours researching and trying to figure out how to best execute setting up the CC-300H, I was hoping that I could leverage the knowledge and experience of this awesome group to best help me get started on the right foot!

Before I list the questions, here are my plans for the unit so far: I have decided to season it with 3 - 320g 84RH Boveda packs for two weeks. I am planning on keeping the unit with 65RH Boveda packs, and keep it at a temperature of 65F, so a steady 65RH/65F (I know easier said than done). I wanted to separate the unit into sections based on short term, aging/long term, Cuban, and Non-Cuban. I will be adding 2 Boveda Butlers, one on the top and one in the bottom, so that I can hopefully get an accurate reading throughout (may be overkill, but I think the extra cost is worth the peace of mind). Lastly, I would love to utilize the glass door by keeping full factory boxes of cigars, this way I can look at them in their natural habitat!

1. Is it a bad idea to keep Non-Cuban and Cuban cigars in the same humidor? Would they be best at 65RH and a temperature of 65F? Or lower? 65RH/67F? Other suggestions? I didn’t know if they should be kept separate or if one combination works best for both? Fingers crossed! I know this can be a matter of personal taste and opinion, but I thought it would be great to see what others say in regards to this topic. My main goals are to absolutely avoid mold and beetles, while maintaining a steady RH and temperature so the cigars are at their most enjoyable.
  2. When it comes to Boveda packs, for this unit, how many should I be using for proper humidity control? I know that, with it being airtight and not all solid Spanish Cedar, I may be able to get away with less, but wanted to know what others thought. Also, what would be the best placement method? All at the top or bottom or spread evenly?
  3. When storing full boxes of cigars in their factory box inside of the humidor, is there need to worry about the humidity within the boxes? I didn’t know if I needed to prop them open or put a Boveda pack inside box etc.? Love the aesthetic and uniqueness of each box, so I am hoping I can keep them stored perfectly inside the humidor.
  4. With this setup, I plan on staggering the stacking of the cigar singles as well as boxes (to provide the best airflow). My question is, would it be worth it to rotate the cigars? Singles only? Boxes? Also, other than the above, what methods do members use to ensure solid airflow throughout their units? I know the CC-300H has a built-in fan to rotate the air, but didn’t know what others experienced.
  5. What is the correct method of introducing the Cuban cigars ordered from FOH 24:24 into my humidor? I wasn't sure if I should/need to freeze them to avoid losing any stock to beetles or if it is unnecessary since the temperature would be controlled as stated above? I would love to hear opinions!
  6. Is it necessary to quarantine box orders from FOH before introducing them to the humidor? I know that with larger humidors, adding a box freshly opened from shipping can cause RH shocks to the whole system and I wanted to know if other members tend to put them in an individual storage (with the same RH as the larger humidor) to acclimate them before putting them in the final humidor?
  7. Lastly, when storing cigars (both Cuban and Non) at the above stated RH and temperature, would it be worth dry-boxing the cigars before smoking? If so, what RH should I be looking for and how long should they rest in the dry-box? If not, what are some tips for knowing when the cigars are perfect for smoking so that I am not loosing any precious flavor etc.?
  8. Bonus Question: When ordering a box of PSP/HQ (mix) is there anyway to tell exactly what you received when it comes in? I know that the video showed Rob signing the PSP, and members have said that this process no longer exists, but I didn't know if there was any identifier. I am relatively new to the hobby, so the small (although significant) differences between PSP and HQ will most likely be imperceptible to my untrained eye/nose but thought it would be nice to know either way.

Thank you all of you who have spent the time to read my post, I look forward to becoming more involved in FOH and thought this may help other cigar lovers as well who are trying to set up their humidors! I am trying to follow the proper protocol so I can have as smooth of a first attempt at setting this up, as well as the best first experience with my new Cubans as possible! Again, thank you in advance for all that respond to this post, any advice is much appreciated! I am extremely excited for my first boxes to arrive and join the FOH club officially!

1-No you can keep them together. The RH is a personal choice of how you like your smokes. Most prefer lower RH like 62-65 for CC's. NC a little higher but lower wont hurt them

2-You cant have too many and they wont over humidify the cabinet. So error on more. 3-4 60g min I would think for this cabinet. But you can put 10 or more if you want. 

3-No full boxes are fine and even preferred to protect the smokes from damage

4-Use the drawer for singles and yes I move boxes around occaisionally. Mostly to retreive some and make room

5-Cubans sent for export like the ones from FOH have been frozen already. Some people do it still but I dont. Anything of unkown origin or from the island should be froze . 

6-No

7-Personal taste and some cigars need it. It sometimes helps with cigars that have too tight of a draw or burn unevenly. 

8-Red dot is PSP I believe...cant remember all of them. Black, blue and orange on boxes I have received. 

• Like 2

Glad you asked all these question when you received yours. I bought a 300 a year or two ago and I had trouble with the drawers and ditched them entirely. It was my combination of stupidity and using a Cigar Oasis, which is counteracts the temperature in the fridge. All my boxed cubans are stored in there now with a s-ton of Boveda packs. Don't have problems with humidity or temperature now. 

I know you didn't ask this question about 65 vs 62. Have you been enjoying your Cubans at 65? I wish I would have just started at 62 Boveda when I had my CC-300. Thought I'd throw that out since you were doing research. ?

14 minutes ago, PrairieSmoke said:

I know you didn't ask this question about 65 vs 62. Have you been enjoying your Cubans at 65? I wish I would have just started at 62 Boveda when I had my CC-300. Thought I'd throw that out since you were doing research. ?

No I haven't, besides the RH, what is the real difference between the two in terms of what they add to the cigars?

Just curious!

1 hour ago, jackupster said:

1-No you can keep them together. The RH is a personal choice of how you like your smokes. Most prefer lower RH like 62-65 for CC's. NC a little higher but lower wont hurt them

2-You cant have too many and they wont over humidify the cabinet. So error on more. 3-4 60g min I would think for this cabinet. But you can put 10 or more if you want. 

3-No full boxes are fine and even preferred to protect the smokes from damage

4-Use the drawer for singles and yes I move boxes around occaisionally. Mostly to retreive some and make room

5-Cubans sent for export like the ones from FOH have been frozen already. Some people do it still but I dont. Anything of unkown origin or from the island should be froze . 

6-No

7-Personal taste and some cigars need it. It sometimes helps with cigars that have too tight of a draw or burn unevenly. 

8-Red dot is PSP I believe...cant remember all of them. Black, blue and orange on boxes I have received. 

Thank you so much for your responses! Do you own a CC-300/H? 

47 minutes ago, heftytome said:

Glad you asked all these question when you received yours. I bought a 300 a year or two ago and I had trouble with the drawers and ditched them entirely. It was my combination of stupidity and using a Cigar Oasis, which is counteracts the temperature in the fridge. All my boxed cubans are stored in there now with a s-ton of Boveda packs. Don't have problems with humidity or temperature now. 

What trouble did you have with the drawers? And yeah, I feel like from what I have heard, Boveda is a great option for the NewAir units. Do you rotate the boxes at all?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MasterYotti said:

No I haven't, besides the RH, what is the real difference between the two in terms of what they add to the cigars?

I had regular problems with overly tight draw and burn issues at 65 higher RH. Even though it seems like a small change, making the transition to 62% was an amazing change in my ability to enjoy my CCs.

I wouldn't use the 84 pack to season your fridge.  Put a couple 72 packs in there and use an RH meter to monitor the fridge for a couple weeks without opening it.  Replace the packs if they dry out until the fridge holds at 70-72% steady for a few days.  After that you should be good to go with putting in your cigars and the Boveda 65s.  Keep monitoring it though, if the RH doesn't come down to 65 in a few days, let a couple of your 65 packs dry out a little outside of the fridge and then put them back in.  This will help bring the RH down.

31 minutes ago, PrairieSmoke said:

I agree with PrairieSmoke, I'm happier with my cigars at 62RH, they are smoke-able right out of the fridge for me.  But as others on this forum might tell you, your ambient temperature and humidity levels and smoking environment might mean that a different RH level is better suited to your needs.  

Too many questions to answer them all, so I will just add my 2 cents.  I have 11 of them jammed full.  It started with one.  I was so happy. Then I outgrew it and added another.  Each time telling myself that I couldn't possibly be buying more.  Now I'm at 11 and it takes up a whole wall of my room.

Things I've learned. 

1) Plug the drain hole

2) They work MUCH better unplugged.  So until the warmer months come, just leave them be.  The fan causes uneven humidity.   It gave me such a headache that I decided to get a room a/c and leave my units unplugged 365 days a year.  The units were not made to last long and the a/c feature will give out eventually anyhow.

3) Create even humidity by placing boveda packs on all your cigar boxes on all the levels.  I ditched the drawers and just have shelves.  7 shelves, 2 boveda packs on each row.  Keeps a solid humidity thru out.

4) Airflow is not that important.  I see people with pc fans in the back of the unit.  If you have boveda packs everywhere, there is no need for air flow (see point below)

5)  I run 3 calibur IV meters.  One on the top, middle, and bottom.  Make sure that the humidity is even.  If not, then you may need a fan.  As I said, I have 11 of these units and 33 meters.  All of them read a dead even humidity level.

6)  When the cooling feature comes on, your humidity will go crazy.  Top and bottom will increase and the middle will decrease.   Hence the reason to leave them unplugged.  Even the fan running without cooling causes the middle to run differently than the top and bottom.  Hence the need for 3 different humidity sensors in your unit.

7)  If you have to plug it in and run it (people in Texas for example), and your humidity levels are inconsistent, I would put boxes in small tupperware bins with boveda packs and then put the tupperwares inside the unit.  

These are good units, but they are wine coolers.  They have their issues.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chibearsv said:

I wouldn't use the 84 pack to season your fridge.  Put a couple 72 packs in there and use an RH meter to monitor the fridge for a couple weeks without opening it.  Replace the packs if they dry out until the fridge holds at 70-72% steady for a few days.  After that you should be good to go with putting in your cigars and the Boveda 65s.  Keep monitoring it though, if the RH doesn't come down to 65 in a few days, let a couple of your 65 packs dry out a little outside of the fridge and then put them back in.  This will help bring the RH down.

Great advice! Thank you for the tip!

I agree with PrairieSmoke, I'm happier with my cigars at 62RH, they are smoke-able right out of the fridge for me.  But as others on this forum might tell you, your ambient temperature and humidity levels and smoking environment might mean that a different RH level is better suited to your needs.  

I hate to sound like an idiot, but what outside temperatures or ambient humidity do to affect the smoke? I know it has to have one, but I am not sure what role it may play? I really want to have them be smoke-able right out of the fridge as well, but am unsure of how to accomplish that exactly. I bet it is plenty of trial and error, but getting tips and hints in the right direction always helps!

1 hour ago, Monterey said:

Too many questions to answer them all, so I will just add my 2 cents.  I have 11 of them jammed full.  It started with one.  I was so happy. Then I outgrew it and added another.  Each time telling myself that I couldn't possibly be buying more.  Now I'm at 11 and it takes up a whole wall of my room.

Things I've learned. 

1) Plug the drain hole

2) They work MUCH better unplugged.  So until the warmer months come, just leave them be.  The fan causes uneven humidity.   It gave me such a headache that I decided to get a room a/c and leave my units unplugged 365 days a year.  The units were not made to last long and the a/c feature will give out eventually anyhow.

3) Create even humidity by placing boveda packs on all your cigar boxes on all the levels.  I ditched the drawers and just have shelves.  7 shelves, 2 boveda packs on each row.  Keeps a solid humidity thru out.

4) Airflow is not that important.  I see people with pc fans in the back of the unit.  If you have boveda packs everywhere, there is no need for air flow (see point below)

5)  I run 3 calibur IV meters.  One on the top, middle, and bottom.  Make sure that the humidity is even.  If not, then you may need a fan.  As I said, I have 11 of these units and 33 meters.  All of them read a dead even humidity level.

6)  When the cooling feature comes on, your humidity will go crazy.  Top and bottom will increase and the middle will decrease.   Hence the reason to leave them unplugged.  Even the fan running without cooling causes the middle to run differently than the top and bottom.  Hence the need for 3 different humidity sensors in your unit.

7)  If you have to plug it in and run it (people in Texas for example), and your humidity levels are inconsistent, I would put boxes in small tupperware bins with boveda packs and then put the tupperwares inside the unit.  

These are good units, but they are wine coolers.  They have their issues.  

Do you find that the middle humidity is lower or higher when this happens? And also what did you use to plug the drain hole? Thank you so much for the response!!!

11 minutes ago, MasterYotti said:

I hate to sound like an idiot, but what outside temperatures or ambient humidity do to affect the smoke? I know it has to have one, but I am not sure what role it may play? I really want to have them be smoke-able right out of the fridge as well, but am unsure of how to accomplish that exactly. I bet it is plenty of trial and error, but getting tips and hints in the right direction always helps!

I was mostly speaking about how to maintain humidity and temp inside your mini-fridge which will be very dependent on the temperature and humidity outside your fridge.  If you live in Florida for example, putting your cigar fridge in the carport is probably not going to work in the summer heat and humidity.  It will work best if you keep it in a room that normally maintains constant temperature.  

For me, keeping my fridge at 60-61 RH which results in cigars that I can take out and smoke at any time with little or no burn issues.  I used to keep my cigars at 69RH and I would have burn problems if I didn't dry-box them for a few days prior to smoking (those burn problems would get worse in summer humidity too).

Bottom line is that you will find your sweet spot through trial and error, the advice you receive in the forum will just give you more things to potentially try.  Part of the fun

I was mostly speaking about how to maintain humidity and temp inside your mini-fridge which will be very dependent on the temperature and humidity outside your fridge.  If you live in Florida for example, putting your cigar fridge in the carport is probably not going to work in the summer heat and humidity.  It will work best if you keep it in a room that normally maintains constant temperature.  

For me, keeping my fridge at 60-61 RH which results in cigars that I can take out and smoke at any time with little or no burn issues.  I used to keep my cigars at 69RH and I would have burn problems if I didn't dry-box them for a few days prior to smoking (those burn problems would get worse in summer humidity too).

Bottom line is that you will find your sweet spot through trial and error, the advice you receive in the forum will just give you more things to potentially try.  Part of the fun

Perfect! Well I plan to keep it in my office! And thank you, because I definitely can't wait to start experimenting and trying to dial it in!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MasterYotti said:

Do you find that the middle humidity is lower or higher when this happens? And also what did you use to plug the drain hole? Thank you so much for the response!!!

lower.  and I just use electrical tape.  nothing too complicated.

21 hours ago, MasterYotti said:

Thank you so much for your responses! Do you own a CC-300/H? 

I used to own the Whynter 251 which is almost the same thing. I now have a large 166bottle wineador a friend sold me for cheap when he bought a big Aristocrat humidor. My buddy owns it now as I sold it to him for cheap. 

IMG_7358 (1).jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jackupster said:

I used to own the Whynter 251 which is almost the same thing. I now have a large 166bottle wineador a friend sold me for cheap when he bought a big Aristocrat humidor. My buddy owns it now as I sold it to him for cheap. 

IMG_7358 (1).jpg

That beast looks amazing!!!

• Like 1

@PigFish I was wondering what your thoughts are on this? I have read plenty of your write ups and would love your opinions on the questions discussed! I live in central North Carolina if that helps at all and my house never goes above 75F and never lower than 67F. Let me know if you need more information!

We move fairly often, and since it was a gift, I am thinking that she wanted to make sure the temperature could remain consistent if we head back to the Midwest where it can get pretty cold!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: So I have been at a steady state in the NewAir for about 2 weeks, sitting at 63 degrees F and a 67RH. I want my RH to go lower and I don't know if I should put lower RH Bovedas in or maybe more Bovedas, but from my understanding the easiest way to adjust this is that RH will lower as the temperature increase (even tested and proven this with 2 degree increments), but if I don't want to raise my temp at all, what will be the best bet here? Any advice would be much appreciated. I know I could get 65/65 comfortably, but all advice I received was to have a lower temp than 65 and a lower RH than 65 so that the CCs will be great to smoke right out of the NewAir.

9 minutes ago, MasterYotti said:

UPDATE: So I have been at a steady state in the NewAir for about 2 weeks, sitting at 63 degrees F and a 67RH. I want my RH to go lower and I don't know if I should put lower RH Bovedas in or maybe more Bovedas, but from my understanding the easiest way to adjust this is that RH will lower as the temperature increase (even tested and proven this with 2 degree increments), but if I don't want to raise my temp at all, what will be the best bet here? Any advice would be much appreciated. I know I could get 65/65 comfortably, but all advice I received was to have a lower temp than 65 and a lower RH than 65 so that the CCs will be great to smoke right out of the NewAir.

Nothing wrong with 65/65.  Most people store at room temperature (~70F).  Admittedly that's because they aren't using a dedicated cooling system, but 65 is a good number regardless.  In fact, 65F might be safer than 62F depending on the climate you live in.  If your cooling system is causing temperature fluctuations because it's set too low (relative to the temp outside the unit) it can lead to condensation inside the unit.  Also, more (or bigger) bovedas is never a bad idea.