Your Favourite Grape Right Now?

No not necessarily the one in your glass :D

I have moved around over the last decades in the wine that I buy. French, US, Aussie etal. 

But what has got a grip of your taste buds right now? What has you heart and soul?

I am in love with very good Aussie Grenache. 

Description? The best of Pinot with 50% more body. 

Let us know what is rocking your wine world right now :party:

20200313_163204_resized.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tonight’s lineup: lafite ‘60, ‘61, ‘66. haut brion ‘59....might be a bit oxidized ?  

It’s been Nebbiolo for many years now. These are among the ones I'm pulling out to drink now. The 96s, 99s, 01s are still buried for future consumption.   

@SirVantes cor, nice. Old world Pinot Noir for me. Burgundy.

Same here, I have to go with a good Pinot Noir, not too heavily oaked, followed by a Chardonnay.  

I did just get back from a trip to Oz and spent 4 days in the Yarra Valley, and tasted some great wines.  I highly recommend a visit if you ever go to Melbourne.  Out of all the ones I tasted though, the one that stood out was a dessert wine, which I rarely drink.  The De Bortoli "Old Boys" 21 Year Old Tawny was just amazing.  Just sweet enough and the toffee and caramel flavor was out of the park.    

I wish we in the USA could get some of these wines.  Apparently there is a 30% export tax per bottle price Oz puts on the wine industry if they want to ship outside the country, which keeps many wineries from exporting.  It was a rather sore topic at the handful of wineries I asked why they dont export.  

IMG_4245.thumb.JPG.1d106a257670ecffdd7b03aa6fa2b386.JPG

Manfred Krankl has said that (when done right) Grenache delivers what Pinot promises. 

I’m always a big White Burgundy guy but all wine has a place in my heart if it’s made well (even Bordeaux ?)

Recently Conterno’s Francia (specifically 2012) has been on fire (no VA or any other BS that can be all too prevalent in Italian wine)

Also Von Winnings 500 (Sauvignon Blanc) tastes VERY much like Haut Brion Blanc and is absolutely delicious...along with their GG Rieslings...

The included Bordeaux was screaming. If you have this bottle, pop it. It is in a delightful spot right now showing youth in the best way. 

C4B35127-48AD-4AD2-9D2A-3BA5D86483ED.jpeg

Red zinfandel has been doing it for me recently. Not the cheapo bottles.  There are some killer expressions coming out of lodi that are under the radar and far more complex than you'd ever expect for the grape to be. 

• Like 1

I’m a 90% Bordeaux lad. But I have been hitting other great regions and really enjoying the 2015-2016 Crozes-Heritage right now. Great availability and bottle for $20. A serious quaffing grape primarily Syrah. Or Shiraz for you Mates...

7CBB99EF-64A7-45F5-918C-E3F060519E09.jpeg

Enjoy many Italian and French varietals, but I kind of always come back around to barbera from Piemonte. I think it might be one of the most versatile grapes with regards to production methods, while still maintaing it's core characteristics.

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

Red: Pinot Noir, Burgundy

White: Albariño, nice with an afternoon cigar.

Pedro Jimenez (for the brandies), they go great with cigars

The Albariño was flowing last summer. It made great friends with the Connie A.. Hands down favorite White right now

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CampDelta369 said:

The Albariño was flowing last summer. It made great friends with the Connie A.. Hands down favorite White right now

Sesente e nove is one of the best Albarino’s I have had. Like Chablis and Abarino had a love child...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Any occasion?  Just you?

Haha...I grew up in the wine business and have been around a bunch of old traditional cellars my whole life. So I end up with a bunch of fun bottles of undrinkable wine. Figured it would be fun to take a pic of a few of these iconic Chateaux.  Don't see these vintages too much these days. I've had the 1961 Lafite and the 1959 Haut Brion once when they were still drinkable....fun to try but more for the novelty than some transcendental wine experience. These days I'm really enjoying finding good stuff in the $18-30/btl range. So many great young producers out there. Any suggestions?

I’m completely burned out on California Cabernet. My wife and I have been buying and drinking a lot of California Zinfandel (2015) and merlot (2015-2016) and it has been a delightful change of pace. For white, I’ve been into Viognier lately. 

5 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Beyond what has been mentioned so far, I am a big fan on Cab Franc wines from the Loire.

Misc Cab Franc.jpg

Loire Cab Francs are ridiculously underappreciated. Where else in the World can you get a $20 red wine that'll age for 20+ years?  Plus, I love the herbal edge they have...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cayman17 said:

I’m completely burned out on California Cabernet. My wife and I have been buying and drinking a lot of California Zinfandel (2015) and merlot (2015-2016) and it has been a delightful change of pace. For white, I’ve been into Viognier lately. 

This is common after a good amount of experience with wine. People become burned out on New World wines because the elevated levels of fruit, tannin & alcohol tend to overwhelm the palate. Slowly you'll notice more & more European wines in you cart, and it's not a bad thing ?‍♂️

Cayman, check out Rhone reds such as Cote du Rhone, Barbera d'Asti from Piedmont (IT), or Rioja from spain. All are medium bodied, fresh & won't overwhelm the palate. Examples of all can be had for less than $20 retail in the US-

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

Loire Cab Francs are ridiculously underappreciated. Where else in the World can you get a $20 red wine that'll age for 20+ years?  Plus, I love the herbal edge they have...

That’s changing fast. Clos Rougeard used to be under $100 and now good luck under $250 depending on the vineyard..

2 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

The importers both wines are very close to my house.  The Couly-Dutheil importer has some great offers.  You are right that these wines are under appreciated big time.  I think among the best values in all of wine.  Same terrior equivalent from Bordeaux or Burgundy would have an additional 0 added the price.  Importer really has deals on the mags so I buy more mags of this than 750's.

Go me thinking I should have the Domaine de la Chanteleuserie tonight!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wine_junkie said:

That’s changing fast. Clos Rougeard used to be under $100 and now good luck under $250 depending on the vineyard..

I'm def not speaking of unicorn wines here, just in general

Grenache for reds, I have been enjoying quite a few Spanish Grenaches, will have to try more Aussies, selection is not always up to par in my province.

Another big Albarino fan, love the refreshing crisp acidity. 

13 hours ago, Kitchen said:

Same here, I have to go with a good Pinot Noir, not too heavily oaked, followed by a Chardonnay.  

I did just get back from a trip to Oz and spent 4 days in the Yarra Valley, and tasted some great wines.  I highly recommend a visit if you ever go to Melbourne.  Out of all the ones I tasted though, the one that stood out was a dessert wine, which I rarely drink.  The De Bortoli "Old Boys" 21 Year Old Tawny was just amazing.  Just sweet enough and the toffee and caramel flavor was out of the park.    

I wish we in the USA could get some of these wines.  Apparently there is a 30% export tax per bottle price Oz puts on the wine industry if they want to ship outside the country, which keeps many wineries from exporting.  It was a rather sore topic at the handful of wineries I asked why they dont export.  

IMG_4245.thumb.JPG.1d106a257670ecffdd7b03aa6fa2b386.JPG

you are talking about the WET - wine equalisation tax. 29%. but it is the other way around. it is imposed on wine which is made here, imported, or sold by wholesale. in australia. we will often see aussie wines much cheaper overseas than here. lot of other export issues but not that. 

some nice bottles there.