JSK releases THE VIRUS

I've seen some pretty poor and distasteful marketing over the years, but this one takes the cake. I personally have never and will never... ever... smoke any jsk cigar

Your thoughts?

https://ministryofcigars.com/jas-sum-kral-releases-the-virus/

JSK RELEASES THE VIRUS

Mar 12, 2020 | 0 comments

Ministry of Cigars - JSK releases the virus

JSK releases the virus. In an email to Ministry of Cigars, Riste Ristevski from Jas Sum Kral told that he will release another event only cigar. For years Jas Sum Kral has used the hashtag #jskvirus. With the current covid-19 pandemic, a corona virus, he’s turning the hashtag into a event only line.

The cigar comes in one size. And that is a 4¼x46 Petite Corona. The cigars are made at Tabacalera Aragon. The wrapper is Ecuadorian Habano. The binder is Mexican San Andres. The filler is from Ometepe, Nicaragua and Pennsylvania Broadleaf ligero.

The story of the hashtag

The hashtag #jskvirus started in 2016. In the week before the IPCPR trade show, Dutch retailer Hans van de Wittenboer aka the illest cigars provider was the first to use it. Van de Wittenboer has a strong following on Instagram. And the hashtrag has been by Jas Sum Kral fans since. And now, with the current corona virus, it’s the appropriate time to turn the hashtag into a cigar.

This project was already being planned before the Corona virus outbreak turned into a big pandemic. The cigars were rolled in the first week of January and have been resting in the factory aging room since. But with the world reacting strongly to the virus, Riatevski said it was almost a calling to launch the cigars now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, WABOOM said:

I hope this one sinks the company.

JSK used to be good. Then they became mediocre. Now this shit.

Riste came on the scene right about the time I gave up on NCs permanently. I heard some bad rumors of his disposition and such at the time. So jsk wants to grapple

to the bottom with the likes of Caldwell et al..? Congrats, you've just brought the cigar world to a new low. 

The early releases of the JSK were pretty damn good. I had one a couple of years ago and it didn't reach the same level (maybe I had hyped it too much in my head). That is the main reason I haven't smoked more (plus I have plenty of things I know will smoke well).

In terms of the "virus" name tag, I couldn't care less. If they've used it in the past, and he enjoys being edgy, so be it. Maybe not the greatest PR tactic but there are much worse problems out there in my mind.

Riste is one of the best guys in the industry. Down to earth, loves cigars, and makes a great product. I bought $500+ of his cigars last weekend and would gladly do so again. His marketing isn't anything he needs to apologize for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov

JSK lost me with the Nuggs. They're clearly seeking a very different customer, which is perfectly fine. It's just not for me, so I'll gladly take a pass.

Riste came on the scene right about the time I gave up on NCs permanently. I heard some bad rumors of his disposition and such at the time. So jsk wants to grapple
 to the bottom with the likes of Caldwell et al..? Congrats, you've just brought the cigar world to a new low. 

What did Caldwell got themselves into?

• Like 1

JSK lost me with the Nuggs. They're clearly seeking a very different customer, which is perfectly fine. It's just not for me, so I'll gladly take a pass.

I don’t understand. Because they release one cigar that belongs on another spectrum they are seeking other costumers as a whole? Personally I’ll buy the sticks that I like and leave those I don’t like. If I’m boycotting an entire company it’s because I couldn’t find a single cigar that appeals to me, or they’ve done something immoral/unethical.

The marketing is in poor taste, IMO. That’s not the reason I don’t buy any JSK, though. I didn’t care for the guys online persona (on FB) and the (gifted) sticks I tried were run of the mill NC - there’s a billion out there.

• Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov
Just now, Nico said:

I don’t understand. Because they release one cigar that belongs on another spectrum they are seeking other costumers as a whole? Personally I’ll buy the sticks that I like and leave those I don’t like. If I’m boycotting an entire company it’s because I couldn’t find a single cigar that appeals to me, or they’ve done something immoral/unethical.

I have no energy for or interest in any "boycott" or grand ethical stand. I'm just uninterested. For others, to each his own. ?‍♂️

Riste is one of the best guys in the industry. Down to earth, loves cigars, and makes a great product. I bought $500+ of his cigars last weekend and would gladly do so again. His marketing isn't anything he needs to apologize for.

You sure about that?

Way to draw and quarter someone. Just from the article it seems there’s history to the name, and it was already planned. I don’t know the bloke. If he’s going about his business as usual then good on him. If he’s trying to bring some light heart to a terrible global situation then hopefully it raises even one persons spirits. 
Wishing the worst for someone with no knowledge is nothing that this forum stands for. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have no energy for or interest in any "boycott" or grand ethical stand. I'm just uninterested. For others, to each his own. 

But you said they lost you with the nuggs release, sounded like a boycott to me if you bought his cigars before. There had to be something with the nuggs that rubbed you the wrong way. My question was sincere but you don’t have to explain anything you don’t want to. I was just curious.

Riste is certainly  talented and I have very much enjoyed some of his cigars including a couple from his new upcoming release. There are others that don't resonate....that is the same with all makers including HSA

I have  met him and enjoyed his company. We have stayed in touch.

I have no idea as to the background to the naming of the cigar  that has caused offence.

I have no idea as to the background to the naming of the cigar  that has caused offence.

Only thing I know is that I’ve seen some promo stickers on a swedish cigar group that read “JSK Virus” in black and red but that was a year or so ago. But the timing to roll out a cigar now that’s called virus can’t be a coincidence.

As for his cigars. I’ve only tried the Red Night, Kralot and toothpick 2.0. Red knight was good, Kralot was okay and toothpick is a mixed filler. Tastes alright but I’m not interested in non premium offerings that costs $7 a stick. I’ve also had some construction issues with his sticks and lord knows I can’t handle any more of that. My impression so far is neither interested nor uninterested. I have one Tyrannical Buc Connecticut and one Maduro. If one of those tastes good I’ll be inclined to explore his cigars further.
  • Like 1

You sure about that?

Yes, and as a medical provider, literally on the front line of treating people right now, I have no problem supporting him or his products.

Yes, and as a medical provider, literally on the front line of treating people right now, I have no problem supporting him or his products.

I appreciate your help during this terrible time. And as I am sure you can see, it’s only going to get worse.
Imo, it’s terrible timing. Distasteful if you ask me.

3 hours ago, LordAnubis said:

Way to draw and quarter someone. Just from the article it seems there’s history to the name, and it was already planned. I don’t know the bloke. If he’s going about his business as usual then good on him. If he’s trying to bring some light heart to a terrible global situation then hopefully it raises even one persons spirits. 
Wishing the worst for someone with no knowledge is nothing that this forum stands for. 

here's the problem I have:

"With the current covid-19 pandemic, a corona virus, he’s turning the hashtag into a event only line." 

"The cigars were rolled in the first week of January and have been resting in the factory aging room since. But with the world reacting strongly to the virus, Riatevski said it was almost a calling to launch the cigars now."

I didn't say and don't wish him the worst, I said I personally would never buy any of his cigars. Anyone who uses the death of people to sell a product is unethical. 

• Like 2

I don't care if they call a product excruciating death itself--I'll buy it if it's good. But is "virus" really an appealing name anyway? It's not really associated with anything positive. "Viral" has kind of become a separate word but "virus" just has purely negative connotations to me. I doubt there were serious marketing professionals recommending the name or release.