Irish Whiskeys

BeerPimp

Who is using St. Patricks day as an excuse to expand their liquor cabinet.   I drink a ton of different beers but recently I have been getting more into whiskey and bourbons.   I usually stick to the sweeter Kentucky bourbons.   But I decided I need to venture out into other whiskeys.   I purchased a bottle of Whistle Pig Rye because I wanted a good Rye to drink.   I will definitely say its profile is way different from what I usually drink very grassy and earthy.   I have been watching a couple whiskey youtube channels and they have covered good Irish whiskeys in several videos.  So when I was at the store I saw Redbreast 12 on sale and thought I have only had Jameson Irish whiskey and grabbed a bottle.   It is less sweet and much more spicy than what I usually drink.  I definitely need to try a couple more.   I saw some Green Spot at my Costco I will have to pick up a bottle next time I am there.

• Like 1

Im just starting to get into Irish Whisky...and ive only had a couple but its been a nice departure from scotch...im really enjoying them and looking forward to trying more.  Speaking in very general terms i like that they are sweeter than scotch but not anywhere near as sweet as bourbon...which I am still having a hard time enjoying just yet. I need to try redbreast next...i just opened a bottle of jamison 18 and it is very nice.  Hopefully some seasoned drinkers can give some suggestions here.

In my limited experience, (as a generalisation of course) Irish whiskeys are ripe tropical fruit bombs. Some of the single cask bottlings I've tried were simply phenomenal.

For regular bottlings, I like Glendalough very much. Fantastic oily texture and honeyed fruitiness. Not sure about global availability though!