No time like the present...

Gotcha, didn’t know they did Marsala and Sauternes Cask releases! At least they still release single casks.  I found a couple of the 18 year Port Cask recently, killer stuff!

The single cask 18 year port cask is outstanding. I found it for a steak at $200.00 CDN. We picked up a few and subsequently drank them all except for one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...to smoke those cigars you've kept your hands off of for months or years. Too special. Considering the current state of affairs I am a bit concerned if something drastic happens I may never get

Funny you mention this topic. A couple of months ago I decided I was done buying LE and RE so I started smoking through them every day and have not touched any regular production in a couple of months

Finally broke down and cracked my last box of the Grandes de España, this box from 2005. Glad I did, they're really good!

On 9/29/2020 at 9:24 PM, maverickdrinker said:

The single cask 18 year port cask is outstanding. I found it for a steak at $200.00 CDN. We picked up a few and subsequently drank them all except for one...

I'm a big Speyside scotch fan, in fact last night I dipped into a 15YO Macallan double cask (sherry finish). When it comes to wine finish scotches there are a lot to choose from, and somewhat better bargains IMPO. One of my favorites is Aberlour a'bunadh, cask strength, about 60% ABV, very reddish in color, and very satisfying though pricy at $100+/usd. But a really great alternative, and just a little more than 1/2 the cost, is the Glenmorangie (Tain) 14YO Quinta Ruban (port cask finish). Even the 12YO Lasanta (sherry cask finish) is a delicious malt, and costs less than half of the a'bunadh, and significantly less than most Macallans. Glenmorangie also makes a suaternes finish called Nectar D'or. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maverickdrinker said:

Dry nice. How was it? Worth the price tag?

It was a gift so the price was right. Surprisingly a bit underfilled, but properly dry-boxed and was a very nice smoke, paired with scotch, of course. Usual Bolivar spiciness but a fuller flavour than its regular production cousins. 

22 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Going through all my sealed/wrapped boxes for the plume/bug check.

Do you seal or wrap all the boxes that you put away? And if not how do you decide what gets sealed and what doesn’t? 

I’ve gone back and forth on sealing some of the stuff I have that I don’t plan on smoking anyone soon. I’ve found it hard finding info online about the pros and cons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NicPac said:

Do you seal or wrap all the boxes that you put away? And if not how do you decide what gets sealed and what doesn’t? 

I’ve gone back and forth on sealing some of the stuff I have that I don’t plan on smoking anyone soon. I’ve found it hard finding info online about the pros and cons. 

Most came sealed on delivery and I just kept them in the packaging they came in.

I have wrapped/bagged/saran, wax paper and shrink-wrapped some cigars in the past experimenting.

For me sealed boxes appear to hold the oils and aroma more so than unsealed. 

One drawback is not being able to check for mold or beetles....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every box I have has its own plastic bag. Makes it easier to access to check them for mild/beetles/plume. If there ever was an outbreak (hopefully never), it will be isolated to that sealed plastic bag.

I go through everything once a quarter. Allows me to check humidity as well.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Very helpful. 

@Habana Mike I’ve always thought that a sealed box would hold aroma and oils better. It just makes me nervous not having the ability to check them like you mentioned. Plus I’m not gonna lie I enjoy opening up a box from time to time just to take a look and a nice big smell. 

@maverickdrinker do you just use large ziplocks? 

Thanks guys. Very helpful. 

[mention=1673]Habana Mike[/mention] I’ve always thought that a sealed box would hold aroma and oils better. It just makes me nervous not having the ability to check them like you mentioned. Plus I’m not gonna lie I enjoy opening up a box from time to time just to take a look and a nice big smell. 

[mention=4874]maverickdrinker[/mention] do you just use large ziplocks? 

Yes. Ziploc bags in different sizes. I try to squeeze as much air out as possible

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maverickdrinker said:

1997 El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme today...

Nice!

Stick of butter? That's what I always picked up from those.

4 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Finally broke down and cracked open the Habanos Combinaciones Estuche X Festival del Habano from 2008.

image.png.2c06f13085a29b58a1697f6a61cf14d7.png

A selection of 10 cigars released over the past years:

Siglo VI - 2002

Partagas P2 - 2005

Edmundos - 2004

Genios - 2007

HU Mag 50 - 2008

RyJ Short Churchill - 2006

HdM Epicure Especial - 2008

SCDLH Mercaderes - 2006

Cuaba Generosos - 1996

Trinidad Robustos Extra - 2004

image.png.0501f4aca64a0f9c93f0d35711ab6362.png

For today's selection I chose the Cohiba Genios. Haven't had one in quite a while.

Richly flavored dark chocolate, espresso, earth and a strong cedar note from being in the chest for 12 years.

Medium-full bodied. Perfect draw though the burn was a little wonky.

image.png.e982ded587f05aebbe0cc115e9c05268.png

Well done, a 93 for me.

Can almost guarantee that Siglo VI will be special.  

• Like 3

On 9/15/2020 at 8:46 PM, Habana Mike said:

One for the books! These are fantastic now

image.png.b51d0fab7dacb6f04fc42120f72f92f8.png

Good to know.... I will break mine-out @ Thanksgiving Day?

• Like 2