How long before Cuban cigar production shuts down?

Just read recently that due to COVID-19 cigar production in Honduras has shut down.

Any reports from Havana that this will also happen? I would venture to say it will happen soon.

37 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Just read recently that due to COVID-19 cigar production in Honduras has shut down.

Any reports from Havana that this will also happen? I would venture to say it will happen soon.

I suspect they will resist it as long as possible.  They need the USD income and currently it ranks number 2 or three in export income. 

Haven't you heard? only 10 confirmed CV infections in Cuba. It's a miracle :rolleyes:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

I suspect they will resist it as long as possible.  They need the USD income and currently it ranks number 2 or three in export income. 

Haven't you heard? only 10 confirmed CV infections in Cuba. It's a miracle :rolleyes:

Hard to practice social distancing in a cigar factory! I wish them the best. 

12 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Hard to practice social distancing in a cigar factory! I wish them the best. 

They will setup "smoke barriers" between workers.  This allows a measure of safety and a way to clear 20 years worth of Guantanamera stock. ?   But seriously, they should safeguard these people vs keeping them on the job.

3 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Will happen. Too complex to explain why. Stay tuned.

Worse effects will be to the Cuban people. Hope I'm wrong.

• Sad 1

I'm no expert, so I could be completely off base here, but the quickest I've seen boxes get to 24:24 is 3 months past the box date.  I've not seen anything that says it can last that long on any kind of surface. 

I think the greater concern is your supplier and whomever handles delivery.  The further from 3 days or so that you get from when it touches your hands, the less it is of a concern.  

Again, I'm sure there's smarter folks than me on here who could provide a bit more detail. That said, my personal concern level is pretty low based on this. 

Wear nitrile gloves, rub purell on the head, cut the cap, fire should kill the rest right? haha. Or maybe it'll send that little bugger straight into your lungs with some Cuban twang. I don't know, I work in finance, not health.

11 hours ago, Capt. Corona said:

Trying to minimise my risk by insisting on sealed boxes only.  I'll take my chances on mold [plume] a couple cracked feet or whatever just so fewer people are touching the cigars.

Am I being too paranoid ? 

:unknown:

Yes.  

• Like 2

Doesn't Cuba usually step in line with WHO recommendations and mandates?  They have a medical tourism industry, so they can't go too far out of step and compromise that sector either.

1 hour ago, nKostyan said:

Virologists say no more than 12 hours

Unless they are sealed inside the box... then they will replicate and turn into plant eaters and devour your cigars ? 

• Haha 3

On 3/18/2020 at 3:15 PM, El Presidente said:

I was told today 40 confirmed and 1005 possible......