Smoking Habanos in Times of CoronaVirus

It's been awhile since I've written anything on these boards. But today with the California Quarantine Lockdown, everyone at home, kind of bored but at the same time, tired of being tired. A lot of news, most of it bad, seeing that it will get worse before it gets better. This song keeps popping in my Head "What a difference a day makes" in this case 2 weeks make. Since 2 weeks ago, we were planning a trip, looking to buy a new car and I wanted to buy way too many Cubans that I did not need, especially the Regionals that are the equivalent of my Kids Label Lover Clothing (they are the same jeans, just different label at 3 times the cost)

Anyway, my topic is Smoking Cigars while being stuck at home. Since I have been smoking more than usual, sometimes 2 cigars a day. In the past when overdid it, I started to get a cough, no cough this time, so this is good. But I ask the rest of the Forum, and mostly the ones that are Doctors. Are cigars Smokers more at risk for this Virus. Just feel that I am abusing my free time smoking way to many and it could have a negative effect if this CoronaVirus pandemia worsens. 

What does the rest of the Forum Think ?? maybe I am just being Paranoid, since I have another Personal Theory that says that the Smoke and Scotch will kill any Germs entering my body. This is only my Theory so that I brainwash myself into believing that everything will be ok. 

Was thinking that the virus was meant to come into your system through your nose, eyes and mouth and that's why we have to wash our hands a lot to minimise this risk of contracting the virus. But is it still safe to smoke a cigar as the virus could be on your cigar that you are constantly putting to your lips. Just mindless things I think about when I'm smoking....

• Like 1

I dunno about you but I’m pretty freaking stressed about this right now (and still working) and having a cigar is helping calm the nerves. Stress is also a cause of a compromised immune system so think of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the comments and replies, I agree that all in Moderation. I am keeping my Habanos Consumption to 1 every two days. LIke this I give my lungs 1 day to recover. Also limiting to smaller size cigars Coronas, Robustos, Belicosos. 

I also agree with Duxnutz that Cigars calm me down, sitting in front of the Chimney, listening to Sinatra, sipping a nice Single Malt and Smoking a vintage Habano, while the world is crumbing down as we know it. Just relaxes me and I try to put things into prospective. 

• Like 1

They did a study and found that in China, men were twice as likely to get the virus and have twice the death rate.   They believe at the moment (things change often) that because Chinese men smoke in much higher numbers than women, and smoke hurts the lung, that smoking is the reason.  Now this is cigarettes, not cigars.  But something to think about.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Monterey said:

They did a study and found that in China, men were twice as likely to get the virus and have twice the death rate.   They believe at the moment (things change often) that because Chinese men smoke in much higher numbers than women, and smoke hurts the lung, that smoking is the reason.  Now this is cigarettes, not cigars.  But something to think about.

You don't happen to have a source/link for this, do you?

If anything my cigar smoking has gone up considerably ?. Makes me nervous reading these responses. Ill go back to my one per day.

10 hours ago, wickettedge said:

They're not sure why men in any of the severely affected countries dying at higher rates.  However, China and other seem to have a much, much higher rate of male smokers than females.  However, the numbers coming from China are not reliable at all, and other countries with similar smoking rates don't have the same disparity, and there's no specific data I could find on the actual victims' personal habits.    

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/03/19/coronavirus-kills-more-men-than-women/

You can find the reports on you Google Machine pretty easily.  Choose your source. The problem with reports like this from the MSM is that it is the single most unreliable source of information on the planet.  Sensationalized speculation, conjecture, hearsay, innuendo and full-on whoppers are de rigueur for the no-better-informed pen-wielders with deadlines.  The cause and effect of any aspect of this from journalists with sources described as "some medical experts believe" should be taken with a grain of salt IMO.  They could convince half the population that chocolate milk comes from chocolate cows, and believe it themselves, if presented in a serious tone, an accepting audience, and a desire to do so. 

With that said, perhaps smoking is the problem based on the untrustworthy/skewed stats, particularly those coming from closed societies without available individual data.  Or maybe it's the blood flow to the penis that compromises immune systems.  

Sorry for steering across my neighbor's lawn to cross the street.  My daily consumption of simplistic and misguided bullshit on the net is taking its toll.  ?      

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Monterey said:

It's something I considered, as Italy is a big smoking, aging population too. But every time you see a link, something pops up; Japan is a heavy smoking nation and the oldest (?) But their numbers are a huge outlier in how low they are.

General advise is to not do anything that compromises your health, personal choice is just that, make your own choices based on your passional risk/reward

My neighbour is a well recognized Doctor at UCSD Medical Center, he mentioned that buying a Smoke Filter would be something to consider since smoking inside leaves you're-inhaling the smoke. He is not a Cigar Smoker so I guess he just suggested this as to lower the damage, since of course his first option was that I stop smoking Cigars and Drinking Scotch, but this is not an option. 

Any recommendations on Good Smoke Filter ??

8 hours ago, toledo1969 said:

Any recommendations on Good Smoke Filter ??

If you care about your health and money is no object, IqAir Multigas (have to get that version).  Expensive.

As for if Cigarettes is the reason as I mentioned above, I have ZERO idea.  I think we will know things a year from now.  Everyone else is just scrambling for cause and effect.  But Covid is a lung thing and smoke for sure is not going to help you out.  That is just common sense.  If breathing difficulties is the main symptom of the disease, well, smoke is not your friend.  I am in no way linking death to cigars.  Just something to consider.  That is all.

-Disclaimer:  I'm smoking a cigar while typing this up :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 10:35 AM, wickettedge said:

I saw something similar study, by this guy tuzhuxi. But it's in Chinese. It was a meta study. Inferring from other data/paper. 

Had I’m sticking to my pre-virus routine. 1 on Friday, a couple on Saturday, maybe one on Sunday, depending on my mood.  —-sam

Pulled out a RA 2011 LE tonite. First one I’ve had that was good and not skunky. —-sam

We smoke cigars as usual but are very disciplined about isolation. It is so nice and sunny outside in our backyard now too. We even work on our computers at the same time.

Life as usual we try for, just on our own with chat and zoom.

Cheers!

CB