for fantasy book lovers, a series to rival Game of Thrones

1 hour ago, BJRPorter said:

Feist’s early work is excellent. I read Faerie Tale once a year or so.

Magician Apprentice/Master series is great. Too many offshoots/extensions though.

Patrick Rothfuss/Kingkiller is amazing. Extremely well written. Book three, Doors of Stone is scheduled for August 2020.

If you like good writing, and long books, read Ken Follett’s Pillars of The Earth series. It is not fantasy, it is based upon fictional characters in European history beginning in the 12th century.

Melanie Rawn’s Dragon Prince series is very entertaining.

i've agreed with those who like rothfuss before. good to hear another coming. 

absolutely agree re Pillars, especially  first one - they can be read separately. the first one, called 'the pillars of the earth' is exceptional reading. great stuff. 

his centenary trilogy is also good. all very long but easy to read books so ideal for lockdown. 

• Like 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i loved the George Martin books. read them before i watched any part of the series (and still to get past series three - my nephew buggered off to sydney with the DVDs). i just wish he'd hurry up and

JRRT is always worth mentioning!  I read TLOTR when I was 12, and it has stayed with me ever since. On a slightly related note: it's not fantasy but rather science fiction, but for anyone who lik

Please also check out the four-book Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons. Though officially classified as sci-fi, I found that there were many fantastical elements that broke the boundaries of the genre. I’

Thanks for the recommendation. I picked it up at the weekend and am almost done, very enjoyable stuff. 
Ken Follett’s Pillars of the Earth is definitely worth a read. I’ve been working my way through the Wheel of Time books. I’m up to book 5 now, while enjoyable I am finding them slightly frustrating at times 

• 6 months later...

Starting Empire of Gold now... I must commend Chataborski for such punctual publication... Now, if only Scott Lynch would finish off the next Gentleman Bastard book I might be able to close out 2020 feeling surprisingly contented (so far as fantasy fiction goes, anyway)

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 11:04 PM, The Squiggler said:

Starting Empire of Gold now... I must commend Chataborski for such punctual publication... Now, if only Scott Lynch would finish off the next Gentleman Bastard book I might be able to close out 2020 feeling surprisingly contented (so far as fantasy fiction goes, anyway)

@The Squiggler thanks for the reminder, thoroughly enjoyed the first 2, put in an order for Empire of Gold, something to look forward to, regards.