FOHrensics : 60 Day Transition Thread: Evolution of R&J Churchills and Monte 2

The purpose of this thread is to help shine a light on the transition of cigars over the first 60 days post international shipping. 

Purchasers of the Romeo y Julieta Churchills and Montecristo Number 2 on the 12th of March 2020 were asked to do the following.  

• Photograph boxes on arrival (Natural Light, distance of no more than one foot)
  • Smoke one in the first week. : Review on the dedicated thread: Put them away. 
  • 30 days: Photograph the box in identical conditions as first photo. Smoke one :Review and Rate : Put them away
  • 60 Days: complete the above again.
  • Write an overview of what you found. 

Steve will help me collate the data.

If you manage to complete the above, you will receive a $50 voucher towards the purchase of another  box of cigars. The voucher is to be used within 60 days of the final results being posted.

Use this thread to complete the above as the boxes will start arriving. 

Step one is to photograph the open box ((Natural Light, distance of no more than one foot), smoke and review the cigar within 7 days of arrival. 

Let's focus on this step for now. ;)

Photo and review in one post on this thread. 

Review to cover:

• photo  + brief description of cigars (colour/sheen/aroma at cold)
  • Opening/first third  (body/flavour/burn/anything else)
  • Mid/second third (body/flavour/burn/anything else)
  • Finish/last third (body/flavour/burn/anything else )
  • Summary and your score. 

Remember,  Step one ot be completed within 7 days of receipt. 

• Like 1

My box of RyJ’s arrived on Monday 23rd March. First thing I noticed was how tightly they were packed in the box. Never had any sticks like this - almost too long for the box! There was a slight sheen to the cigars and a mild aroma. 

Box code:
MSA Oct 19

The first chance I had to sample one was two days ago, outside in a cold easterly wind. Sky was as clear as can be, sun beaming but no warmth. What I really noticed though was how eerily quiet it was, with everyone inside trying to avoid Covid-19. 

Cold aroma:
Very little to report here. The obvious tobacco smell but no real distinguishable aromas. The same on the unlit draw, just a tobacco taste with perhaps a tiny hint of a fruit.

First third:
The first real flavour was that of salt, although it did not last long. On the retro hale there was definitely a hint of leather.  Other than that, the odd cedar and fruit taste but sporadic and light.

Second third:
Bitterness came in and didn't really leave.  Ammonia throughout.  At one point the wind ashed the stick for me and for a few minutes after this the cigar smoothed out a little. Just when I hoped it had turned a corner, back came the ammonia.  It got so strong that at one point I almost had to give it up........almost.

Final third:
Same as the middle getting progressively stronger.  As I neared the golden band I had to let it go.  

The construction and draw were near-faultless throughout.  Looking forward to trying the next one!

Score: 86

Steve

RyJ 1.jpg

• Like 4

Romeo y Julieta Churchills 

MSA OCT 19

Box arrived 3.27

First cigar smoked 3.29

• Prelight 
    • Beautiful wrapper
    • Nice light sheen
    • Excellent construction
    • Snug draw
  • 1st Third
    • Draw starts a little tight, but opens up quickly
    • Perfect burn
    • Hay, tobacco and light cherry
    • No harshness of youth so far
  • 2nd Third
    • Burn and draw are still perfect
    • Same flavor profile
    • Getting stronger
    • Still no harshness
  • Final Third
    • Burn got out of whack, but actually self corrected without touch-up
    • Harshness setting in
    • Cherry gone completely 
    • Wrapper started cracking at the end
  • Score: 90

702689F9-5E73-4FF3-9DAC-017B6B9E705D.jpeg

B022F3AC-F1FD-4270-9391-10844D91FC5D.jpeg

• Like 2

4ABC7DEA-46AB-4D37-ABD5-21DB792EF459.thumb.jpeg.281a920de29bb144f62c4cfc746807e8.jpegMonte 2

REG SEP 19

The box arrived Day before yesterday but my building is now quarantining all packages for at least 24 hours.  It arrived at my door this AM, no more contact with door person for social distancing.  Sigh.

Pre-light:  A very nice box with medium chocolate colored wrappers showing a slight oily sheen.  The smell is glorious.  To the touch slightly more humidified than I maintain my cigars, which is wise for shipping purposes.

04348BAC-0B97-4231-AB51-524A10D9E0A3.jpeg
First Third: It with a slightly restrained draw but opened up quickly and burned very well, in fact throughout the cigar.  Body was under medium.  Think mouth feel of milk versus cream, which the latter I would call full bodied.  Tobacco is high quality but young.  Flavor had a distinct herbal note, something like mint, that predominated the profile; interesting and enjoyable.  There wasn’t any earth, coffee, or heft some Monte 2s have.  Amount of flavor was medium plus, no searching for it, delivered it clear as a bell. At this point I would score it 89/90.

Second Third: it picked up in strength but body remained under medium.  The mint-like profile persisted.  Mint is an inaccurate description but closest I can come.  Not as narrow or clean as mint, a bit broader, if you will.  The flavor resonated mostly at the tip of my tongue.  

At this age it’s not complex. It’s a one trick pony.

Final third:  It got wonky.  A sourness overtook the pleasant herbal profile.  No harshness, though.  Smoked it to the band but got no better.

Summary:  Promising longer term aging. Great smell, sheen, and intriguing flavors.  I am looking forward to revisiting in 30 days.  For now, into the 65% RH coolidor. 

Score: 87/88

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

These were psp/hq mix boxes of I am not mistaken? That correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. 

The purpose of this is to show the evolution of cigars over a 60 day period from the time of arrival.  ;)

• Like 2

Correct. 

The purpose of this is to show the evolution of cigars over a 60 day period from the time of arrival.  

Yes I am watching closely, think this is a great idea. Now I wish I grabbed a box of Churchills that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 3/29/2020 at 2:28 PM, CigarZen said:

Flavor had a distinct herbal note, something like mint, that predominated the profile; interesting and enjoyable.

Mint is an inaccurate description but closest I can come.  Not as narrow or clean as mint, a bit broader, if you will.  The flavor resonated mostly at the tip of my tongue.

not to derail the thread, but i know exactly what you mean by the "mint" note. i experienced it in the only monte especial #2 i've smoked. it was very intriguing, bought a box, we'll see if i find it again.

-dobbs

Received 3/30/20

Smoked 4/4/20

After my poor Monte experience I waited 5 days to smoke the Romeo Churchill.  There is a nice glistening sheen on the wrapper.  Love the size, I smoke a lot of churchills.

1st third

Firm draw, first two inches was packed a bit much.  Got a strong burnt cherry flavor at first puff. Then I got mineral flavors, graphite and pencil lead. The aftertaste was a wet grass taste and a lingering earthy mulchy flavor.  Not enjoying this at all.  Burnt plastic, toasted grassy weeds. The cigar had a wonky burn but didn't really need to touch it up.  The cigar was wet and young and continued with a more chemical aftertaste and a dusty dirty burn on the back of the throat.

2nd third

Didn't make it that far.

IMG_1735.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i'm really enjoying this thread. i've definitely had boxes get shinier and better-looking with down-time. and there's no arguing that flavor improves immensely starting with 30 days minimum, but i am fully on the "wait 90 days" bandwagon now. it was suggested, but i wouldn't believe it without learning through experience.

wish i would have jumped on these boxes so i could participate, will have to enjoy vicariously instead. thanks all.

-dobbs

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • MoeFOH unpinned this topic