self isolation: top 3 films to revisit?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Big Lebowski Donnie Brasco The King of New York

I was actually planning an Eddie Murphy marathon this weekend, starting with: Beverly Hills Cop 1 48 hours Trading Places and I know you only asked for 3, but ‘Coming To America’ w

The Departed Airplane! Pulp Fiction  

Many good movies already mentioned. Ford vs Ferrari really was great and stayed pretty much to fact. Just watched Legend of Bagger Vance and Good Will Hunting, both good and had seen before. Will start binge watching the 3rd season of Netflix series "Ozark" tonight.

Actually enjoying being home for a change but I think my wife and I might be gaining weight?

John

*Well, as we're grounded for a spell - I would suggest epic-long movies to take our time with...along with a fine, hefty churchill and/or double corona:

1) GODFATHER (1) and (2)

2)  Ben Hur (1959 w/Heston)

3)  And depending on your hero taste: Spike Lee's "Malcolm X"  or Mel Gibson's "Braveheart"

The Human Condition trilogy by Masaki Kobayashi. These three films run for a combined length of 579 minutes (i.e. 9 hours and 39 minutes). It's been around 10 years since I've viewed them. For me, this series is highly relevant in light of current world events. The film explores the question, "how do you maintain your values in the midst of suffering?" Of course, I will be watching other much lighter films during this time to maintain my spirits, such as Sonic the Hedgehog and Onward! ? ?

• Like 2

1. Stripes (classic Bill Murray & Harold Ramis) :spotlight:

2. August: Osage County (as a dysfunctional family guide of how to spend troubling times together ;)... and flat out the best Meryl Streep performance ever.) 

3. The Audition (to get my Takashi Miike suspense/horror fix. Seriously freaked me out first time around, many years ago. Time to refreak) :hole:

10 hours ago, zappaFREAK said:

Time for some classics!

The Cincinnati Kid

Cool Hand Luke

The Great Race

The Fountainhead

Metropolis

Forbidden Planet

Sorry got a bit carried away.

cool hand luke on free to air tv tonight. video already set. it follows butch cassidy. on another channel, thor. 

some great flicks through all these posts.

there is one film i really would like to see - been ages. french connection. 

good question, here's my hasty 3:

1) the good, the bad, and the ugly - the best buddy picture ever made

2) two-lane blacktop - slow, but transcendent

3) rashomon - so influential

not my favorite 3, just totally worthwhile pictures to watch while in home

-dobbs

7 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

3. The Audition (to get my Takashi Miike suspense/horror fix.

Not seen that one, but do like Yakuza Apocalypse, Blade of The Immortal, and Sukiyaki Western Django. Not really revisiting anything, but over the past couple of weeks have watched Rise of Skywalker, The Gentlemen, Spenser Confidential.

6 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

Sukiyaki Western Django.

Yes. Another fave of his. Haven't seen the other two you mention. Wanted to take on Blade of the Immortal at BIFF festival here but ultimately missed out for some reason...

Thought The Gentlemen was great. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

Not seen that one, but do like Yakuza Apocalypse, Blade of The Immortal, and Sukiyaki Western Django. Not really revisiting anything, but over the past couple of weeks have watched Rise of Skywalker, The Gentlemen, Spenser Confidential.

colt, what did you think of skywalker?

9 hours ago, Bords said:

You will be shocked at some of those 80s comedies like Revenge of the Nerds and some of the stuff we found hilarious as kids but are big no nos now days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, The Squiggler said:

Revenge of the Nerds, Porky's, etc... certainly a bit rapey by today's standards, but I think they're useful as historical documents.  Watching them sheds a bit of light on how much things have changed in a relatively short period of time... and if you're 'woke' enough you can have a nice ironic laugh at how primitive the humor is.

Revenge of the Nerds was on Foxtel last night. And yes, I did watch it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

colt, what did you think of skywalker?

KG, I enjoyed it. I'm not a real Star Wars "geek", and generally speaking, don't ask / expect anything earth shaking from most movies. If they're entertaining and hold my attention, I'm happy - an emotional response is gravy. This one hit on at least two. That said, I pretty much like the overall concept of the final three Rey movies, though I might have had an eye roll or two on a few of the fine points. Maybe no worse than the Ewoks..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

KG, I enjoyed it. I'm not a real Star Wars "geek", and generally speaking, don't ask / expect anything earth shaking from most movies. If they're entertaining and hold my attention, I'm happy - an emotional response is gravy. This one hit on at least two. That said, I pretty much like the overall concept of the final three Rey movies, though I might have had an eye roll or two on a few of the fine points. Maybe no worse than the Ewoks..

nice to hear. yet to see it but i have seen a fair bit of negativity about it. the problem for me has always been that the first two were so brilliant and nothing else has come close so those other films all get bagged even more than they should. 

The Godfather trilogy.  

Mel Brooks -- Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

Generally, though, I an a tad miffed because I love the old classics -- Hitchcock, or anything with Humphrey Bogart -- but Australian TV programme schedulers seem to think their public cannot cope with black and white films.  

41 minutes ago, gweilgi said:

The Godfather trilogy.  

Mel Brooks -- Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

Generally, though, I an a tad miffed because I love the old classics -- Hitchcock, or anything with Humphrey Bogart -- but Australian TV programme schedulers seem to think their public cannot cope with black and white films.  

you do get a few on Gem and even 7/9 now and then. casablanca pops up regularly. but you are correct, they don't seem keen to show the classics - the bogarts and so forth. 

1 minute ago, Ken Gargett said:

you do get a few on Gem and even 7/9 now and then. casablanca pops up regularly. but you are correct, they don't seem keen to show the classics - the bogarts and so forth. 

Sad, and annoying.  I'll choose "the Maltese Falcon" or "The Postman Always Rings Twice" over most anything that is shown in the cinemas these days.  Too much that is derivative, too much cashing in on franchises or old favourites with remakes, too much reliance on CGI and other special effects to hide bad writing and bad acting.  Hell,  even innocent feel good flicks like any Fred Astaire and Giner Rogers vehicle seem beyond Hollywood these days.  

30 minutes ago, gweilgi said:

Sad, and annoying.  I'll choose "the Maltese Falcon" or "The Postman Always Rings Twice" over most anything that is shown in the cinemas these days.  Too much that is derivative, too much cashing in on franchises or old favourites with remakes, too much reliance on CGI and other special effects to hide bad writing and bad acting.  Hell,  even innocent feel good flicks like any Fred Astaire and Giner Rogers vehicle seem beyond Hollywood these days.  

maltese falcon makes the very very occasional appearance. such a shame we have twister and die hard four repeated endlessly but not these flicks. 

7 minutes ago, westg said:

Yep. Groundhog Day and What about Bob . 

I'm not sure if it holds up, as I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I remember the Bill Murray film Larger than life was always worth a laugh.