moving from the virus - old glenfiddich

Ken Gargett

• 2 months later...

For some reason I can't see the picture - but judging by your description, the Glenfiddich would have been a pretty cool discovery. While everyone in the past thought blends were the only drinkable Scotch, Glenfiddich was one of those earlier distilleries to bottle their malt as singles. 

It would certainly be interesting to open it and have a side-by-side comparison to a modern Glenfiddich. I am not aware of any OB 8yo Glenfiddich these days but it is possible you may find one from an independent bottler. However, it is also rare that they sell casks to IBs, or even when they do, they don't allow them to disclose (so mostly labelled as "Speyside").

However, note also that jugs and (fancy crystal) decanters are notoriously bad at keeping whiskies over long periods. Many of them have gone bad over 20-30 years. I hope that hasn't happened to yours! 

Personally I have been searching for bottles from the 80s in auction sites. Managed to snag a couple of bottles (10yo Glen Grant, 12yo Glenlivet) that flew under the radar for around US$50+. I am certainly going to compare these with modern iterations concurrently. Would make for a really fun tasting night!