Your cocktail recipe of choice ?

Many of us find ourselves with a little more time on our hands than usual ;)

This topic of conversation came up on yesterday's Zoom Herf.  We discuss all the big issues :D

Your cocktail recipe of choice? Maximum of three cocktails. 

Post up your special recipe and go into the draw for a little sampler. Post up a picture of your final creation and get an additional ticket in the draw. 

This could be a busy weekend ahead :party:

Post on this thread. Drawn Friday local !

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Negroni of course. It’s easy. Equal parts Aperol (or Campari) Gin and Sweet Vermouth. usually served with one large ice cube and garnished with an orange slice. This is my favorite as it is

I'm not intending to enter the draw, however I'm happy to share my recipes for some of my favourite cocktails below... The Sazerac Cocktail The first thing I do is to start with the Absin

Not entering the draw, but just wanted to add this as it's a winner A 'Paloma' does it for me 2x shots of Reposado Tequila 1x tablespoon of of Agavero liquer or Agave necter

The Alexander Cocktail

The Alexander Cocktail is a mixed drink, commonly referred to today as a 'Brandy Alexander'. The modern drink uses Cognac, White (or Brown) Creme de Cocoa and Half-and-Half. If you don't have half-and-half, make it yourself by combining some full cream milk and cream. The Creme de Cocoa may be white or brown, all that changes is the colour of your drink.

My Ingredients:

• 30ml (or 1 ounce)   cognac
  • 30ml brown (or white) creme de cacao
  • 30ml to 60 ml (1 to 2 ounces) light cream (or half-and-half)

My Method:

Shake all ingredients with ice and strain contents into a cocktail glass. Sprinkle nutmeg (and optional cinnamon) on top and serve.

5aad9b03bc0b9_2018-03-1114_09_23.jpg.8e91b1b8d419da59bfbe25cca19b84a2.jpg

The recipe calls for nutmeg to be sprinkled on top, but I like to add a little sweetness and spice to my Alexander cocktails, so I add cinnamon.

5aad9b09995d7_2018-03-1114_19_36.thumb.jpg.bf7d824f1a97bf346ba27415b8509077.jpg

However, did you know you can make this drink with Gin? The original recipe had a variation containing gin. When I make it with gin, I like to use White Creme de Cocoa to give the drink a lighter colour. Difford's Guide has a recipe for a Gin Alexander here.

My Ingredients:

• 30ml (or 1 ounce)   gin
  • 30ml white creme de cacao

My Method:

Shake all ingredients with ice and strain contents into a cocktail glass. Sprinkle nutmeg (and optional cinnamon) on top and serve.

5aad9af86cfec_2018-03-1112_33_00.jpg.dbfefde5028d51b33d839972d197095a.jpg

Again, my preference is to add some cinnamon to the nutmeg sprinkled on top.

5aad9afe7a880_2018-03-1112_41_09.thumb.jpg.98271b44dfaf200d89c254353f4024aa.jpg

Why not give it a go and try this cocktail (either with Brandy, Cognac or Gin) with your next cigar!

• Like 4

A good dark rum with a splash of chocolate bitters on the rocks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrouchoMarx said:

Perfect dry martini:

Gently pour gin over ice into a cocktail shaker.

Have someone walk through the room with an open bottle of dry vermouth.

Stir, pour - add 3 olives.

I prefer slightly dryer than that!  And Blue Cheese olives please.

• Like 1

Ingredients: 45ml single malt scotch, 50ml spring water. 

Preparation: Pour scotch into copita or tasting glass. Pour into mouth. Swirl.  Swallow. Repeat. Pour water down the sink. 

Variant: Pour water into mouth. Swallow. This version is called the Jessie. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bud tall boy, stick 12 of them in the freezer, drink them until you open one that is freezing up, transfer that to a warm class to melt it and transfer rest of cans to fridge. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s no good giving exact recipes... everyone’s taste is different. Especially for sour and sweet, you have to experiment and find out just what you / your wife / lover like. Three classics:

Margarita: Tequila (a lot), lime juice (some), triple sec (not too much). Shaken. Salt, but not too much. 

Martini: Vodka or Gin (a lot), stirred until ice cold, dry Vermouth (hardly any at all, ideally floated or sprayed on the top), juicy olives.

Champagne: sugar cube, bitters, cognac, Champagne. A mint leaf  is good. And God this is a dangerous drink.

• Like 3

Negroni of course. It’s easy. Equal parts Aperol (or Campari) Gin and Sweet Vermouth.
usually served with one large ice cube and garnished with an orange slice.
This is my favorite as it is very complex like a great cigar. Sweet and tart all at the same time.A2507A4E-E3B4-4441-B77D-782843F1BB59.thumb.jpeg.43fe62b1a6f2bc6f44a3d425cda11840.jpeg

My favourite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Cuba Libre. Do I really need to explain this one? My favorite is Doorlys XO. About 3 oz rum to 8 oz coke. Perfect.

2. Mojito. Can’t show a pic of this because I am still waiting for my mint to grow back but it imperative to start with “Mentha Villosa.” It’s a unique strain of mint only native to Cuba and was unheard of outside Cuba until a Canadian smuggled it out years ago. Spearmint and all the others make a crappy mojito. Get yourself some of this stuff.. 

teaspoon sugar in the raw, 1/2 to 1 fresh lime juice, sprigs of mint. Muddle it up, ice, 3 oz rum, I prefer a dark rum. Hit of bitter and club soda to fill the glass. 

3. ice pick. Combine juice and peel from a full lemon. Ice and 4-5 oz vodka and shake. Top off with some mint sprigs and unsweetened ice tea. Easy and refreshing drink that hydrates you as you drink. No hang over here folks. Cheers

E9FC4677-F681-4BDE-A317-190A149B0DF4.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JohnS said:

The Alexander Cocktail

The Alexander Cocktail is a mixed drink, commonly referred to today as a 'Brandy Alexander'. The modern drink uses Cognac, White (or Brown) Creme de Cocoa and Half-and-Half. If you don't have half-and-half, make it yourself by combining some full cream milk and cream. The Creme de Cocoa may be white or brown, all that changes is the colour of your drink.

My Ingredients:

• 30ml (or 1 ounce)   cognac
  • 30ml brown (or white) creme de cacao

My Method:

5aad9b03bc0b9_2018-03-1114_09_23.jpg.8e91b1b8d419da59bfbe25cca19b84a2.jpg

The recipe calls for nutmeg to be sprinkled on top, but I like to add a little sweetness and spice to my Alexander cocktails, so I add cinnamon.

5aad9b09995d7_2018-03-1114_19_36.thumb.jpg.bf7d824f1a97bf346ba27415b8509077.jpg

However, did you know you can make this drink with Gin? The original recipe had a variation containing gin. When I make it with gin, I like to use White Creme de Cocoa to give the drink a lighter colour. Difford's Guide has a recipe for a Gin Alexander here.

My Ingredients:

• 30ml (or 1 ounce)   gin
  • 30ml white creme de cacao

My Method:

5aad9af86cfec_2018-03-1112_33_00.jpg.dbfefde5028d51b33d839972d197095a.jpg

Again, my preference is to add some cinnamon to the nutmeg sprinkled on top.

5aad9afe7a880_2018-03-1112_41_09.thumb.jpg.98271b44dfaf200d89c254353f4024aa.jpg

Why not give it a go and try this cocktail (either with Brandy, Cognac or Gin) with your next cigar!

John- I’m going to start hanging out at your house!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Refer to mine as = How to rescue poor flavoured scotch, bourbon, rye...

Rusty Nail:

Scotch 2/3 to 1/3 Drambuie (or Glayva - even Cointreau @ a pinch)

Old Fashioned:

2oz of bourbon/rye

Tsp of sugar/or sugar cube

A dash or two of bitters

• Like 1

My version of a Manhattan - 30ml Bulleit Rye Whiskey, 30ml Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey, 30ml Antica Formula Vermouth, one dash Angostura Bitters, one dash Angostura Orange Bitters, one shaving of orange skin singed with a lighter.

Add the Rye and Vermouth in a mixing glass with ice then stir. Drain ingredients into martini glass, leaving the ice behind. Singe orange peel with lighter then twist to release oils over glass and then add to drink.

I like the combination of the two Rye Whiskeys. The Bulleit is smoother and more rounded and the Rittenhouse adds the extra punch, working with the orange.

IMG_5176.jpg

• Like 3

Some great cocktails here. Love the thread. 

I’m loving some Death in the Afternoon: a little absinthe, a lot of champagne. 

on the topic of bourbon cocktails I’ll add that I think makers mark is the perfect bourbon. It’s a good cheap bourbon. Anything more and you shouldn’t be mixing it...rocks or neat only. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GrouchoMarx said:

Perfect dry martini:

Gently pour gin over ice into a cocktail shaker.

Have someone walk through the room with an open bottle of dry vermouth.

Stir, pour - add 3 olives.

Last step: wait for someone else to walk past and comment that "you're not doing it right" ....

• Haha 1