Fishing for Trout and Salmon

Hammer Smokin'

• 11 months later...
  • Hammer Smokin' changed the title to Fishing for Trout and Salmon
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A beauty Laker in full spring colours. 

Kp7pRCdI_o.jpg

The King Salmon are late to arrive...but they'll be here...eventually. 

Lakers until then. Even the Brown Trout and Rainbow Trout have been strangely missing. 

'17 D4 for the journey. 

gSinnSOu_o.jpg

• Like 4

Was able to find some King Salmon this morning. Managed two real nice spring Kings as well as a couple smaller ones. My father sorta blew that first photo but we release them immediately so I don't check for accuracy lol. I gave him a good ribbing...he improved for the second photo. 

47yLFpLu_o.jpg

4S9EEnH0_o.jpg

Nice to see things heating up! 

• Like 4

Real small window this morning. On the water at 5am and off by 8:30am. It was foggy, cold, damp, and rainy. That was before the winds picked up. One of those mornings when you wonder what you were thinking....

Then a fish hits and it makes it all worth while. Getting these in the boat solo is quite a challenge!

STQDHuhd_o.jpg

• Like 3

Nice! Ive made many trips to Canada for fishing. Been several years though. Ever since I bought lake home in northern WI I feel I need to be there. Our lake is mainly smallies, walleye and musky. Used to do alot of trips out of Atikokan east of Ft Frances. You do any musky fishing?

Sorta.

I've fished lake st clair and some of the Kawartha lakes for muskie. 

But the fish of a thousand casts is just that.

I enjoy muskie fishing but I enjoy great lakes salmon as well as warm water bass and walleye much more.

St Clair smallmouth trip is on my bucket list. Yep Muskie hard to catch. We throw bulldawgs for em in Wisconsin. Friend of mine is exclusively a Muskie guide and have learned a lot from him. Our biggest so far is 42 inches. The DNR shocked up a 55 incher in my lake a few years ago. Most of those bigger ones are never caught and just die off eventually. 

I was fortunate enough to learn how to fish Lake St Clair, which is a muskie factory. Our biggest was 48", but with St Clair, it is common to catch 5 to 10 muskie in a day. It's all trolling...and rather boring. 

But real muskie fishing, like you suggest (bulldogs etc) is a lot of fun. Getting that hit while retrieving, especially at boatside, gets the heart pumping. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2021 at 5:01 PM, Hammer Smokin' said:

I was fortunate enough to learn how to fish Lake St Clair, which is a muskie factory. Our biggest was 48", but with St Clair, it is common to catch 5 to 10 muskie in a day. It's all trolling...and rather boring. 

But real muskie fishing, like you suggest (bulldogs etc) is a lot of fun. Getting that hit while retrieving, especially at boatside, gets the heart pumping. 

Any more fishing adventures Hammer? Tore meniscus so I have been sidelined until fall. I must live thru others!