COVID19 - What have you learnt about yourself?

Just something which popped into my head earlier. I know people here are all on different stages of the outbreak, with different stories, experiences and outcomes.

Have you discovered something about yourself that you previously didn't know? Something that you hoped would come out in times of crisis, or feared would not? Or even have people you've known for years surprised you for better or worse?

Personally I think I've pushed the boundaries of how far I would usually go to help others, and I thought I was a pretty universally helpful guy! But I've narrowed the net of people that I've extended that to. I don't think consciously, but I've found myself being cautious about throwing that net too far whilst so much is in the air. If that's a side effect of this situation being an infectious one, and the unknown subconsciously presents to you as more risky I'm not sure.

Be interested to see how others have felt

*This is hay fever season for some of us. Whereas we were free to cough, sneeze, have itchy eyes, etc. and continue on in regularity - now we don't know if somebody is gonna wrap us up in yellow police tape and quarantine us somewhere. It's just HAY FEVER, Y'all...:huh:

• Haha 4

Earlier during the crisis (Jan/Feb) there was a debate whether to close the HK border from China. Medical staff then took matters into their own hands and organised a strike saying that they didn't want to use HK resources to treat foreigners. 

I disagreed with that course of action because I think that is unprofessional from medical professionals. I was a medic in the (conscripted) army and my sister is a doctor in London. I would be embarrassed to ever hear if my sister took an action like this. I felt that this was beyond politics and a now question of professionalism, morality and humanity.

Regardless, some people no longer wanted to be friends with me for disagreeing with the strike action. 

• Like 4

I realized most people are stupid. I already had a hunch. But this cemented it. Seeing people wearing masks with nose exposed. Seeing people wearing rubber gloves but touching phone, keys, car doors, etc with same gloves they went out in public with. Seeing people throw used gloves in the parking lot. 

I also realized that this was my time to shine. I’m a natural introvert. Happy watching documentaries on Netflix on prime, eating sandwiches and not going into work. I was already a germaphobe. I already held back on impulses to use hand sanitizers before. This thing allows me to actually be a germaphobe in public and not look like a weirdo. 

It’s only a matter of time before my tissue box shoes come out. 

• Like 3

Lessons I learned:

1. Lunatics are everywhere in unexpected places
  2. There are weirdos who don't even follow instructions
  3. International shipping stops during virus outbreak like this
  4. Selfish politicians (far right wing parties mostly) and foolish mayors (mayor of Daegu didn't do any thing at all TBH) can cause more havoc than necessary
  5. Beware the fake news
  • Like 1

I really don't ever need to watch "news" or sports analysts on TV ever again.  I'm done with hearing opinions from multiple "experts" whose track record of success in predicting results sucks.  I'll happily get my news from the paper version of my newspaper.  It's much easier to turn the page rather than flip a channel and hear the same old crap.  

In a slightly different twist to this, i have realized how much of my life I have previously wasted.
I am technically a 'key worker', so I'm still going out to work, but have pretty much been living my life exactly the same as before the current situation. I go to work, I come home and have a few beers and a cigar/pipe and get up and do it all over again.
So despite my natural tendency to introversion and continual diminishing physical mobility, once this is over I hope to seize the opportunity to get out there and experience a little more of what life has to offer, even in the most simplest of ways.

This is my favorite response. Thanks Joey, I truly hope if there’s a benefit that can come out of all this it’s realizations is this type and that we all begin to think about how we can focus more on the things in our lives that truly matter.
  • Thanks 1

At the moment I am on short time and in my homeoffice. 
What I really enjoy is - no more meetings. 
Sure we have Videochats and that’s a good way to keep in touch with my team. 
I don’t miss most of my colleagues ?‍♀️  

i do enjoy my time in homeoffice. I am more relax, stress is less and I am a happy camper. I have more times for the dogs and they are really chilled. 
As the weather is outstanding at the moment, more time to smoke. 

12 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

Ive realised I’m a lazy prick. Without a job to go to I achieve very little.  

I'm finding out that I'm lazier than I thought I was, and I'm !@#$%^& lazy.

• Haha 1