What's a landmark album you haven't busted out for a while?

On 4/9/2020 at 8:29 PM, Bill Hayes said:

Eric B and Rakim 'Paid in Full'. Out of boredom I themed this week 'Hip Hop'. So I have two craft beers and sit on the balcony and listen to an album. A good friend is well versed in the genre so he has been guiding my choices from the 80's Public Enemy 'It takes a nation of millions' to the 90's Wu Tang Clan and Gang Starr 'Daily Operation' to Guru "Jazzamatazz. Can't say I like a lot of it but some stuff stands out. More an education of a culture.

Happy to talk HipHop and a few other genres anytime! A big nerd here music wise.

Perhaps you have already, but I suggest you play The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest (1991).

And then for a take in Southern sound Rodin’ Dirty by UGK (1996).

Lots more, but you will enjoy the approach to sampling and compositions and have a good trip with the lyrics. 

????

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Im not the biggest Van Halen fan so its been ages since I played the debut album...but I can only imagine what other guitar players of that time must have been thinking when they first heard it...the

Used to be a HUGE Rush fan back in my high school days, late 70's/early 80's. Kinda lost interest when they went synthesizer-centric. But broke into my catalog again when Neil passed.  Still so i

6 hours ago, Lrabold89 said:

I second Illmatic and supreme clientele emoji817.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missed some responses before mine. We can do this properly and listen to an album a week for the next few weeks and take a multi decade genre trip. Happy to curate if folks up for it. 

On 2/23/2021 at 1:49 PM, PuroDiario said:

Happy to talk HipHop and a few other genres anytime! A big nerd here music wise.

Perhaps you have already, but I suggest you play The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest (1991).

And then for a take in Southern sound Rodin’ Dirty by UGK (1996).

Lots more, but you will enjoy the approach to sampling and compositions and have a good trip with the lyrics. 

????

Cheers mate, or should I say 'sup bro'. Haven't checked in for a little while. Been working hard trying to make up for lost time during COVID 2020. Low End Theory was suggested by my friend too. Thanks.

when you get deep into it, you hit the classic Bargain

amazing track!

Surrender my good life for bad
To find you I'm gonna drown an unsung man
I'd call that a bargain
The best I ever had
  • Like 4

On 1/26/2021 at 11:50 AM, VKUTT said:

Can we revive this post? 

Try some Nas 'Illmatic', Tribe Called Quest 'Low End Theory', Ghostface Killah 'Supreme Clientele', MF Doom 'Madvillainy', Kendrick Lamar 'Good Kid Mad City' and Mos Def 'Black on Both Sides'. 

CHEERS?

Great choices, I also enjoyed Nas - Hip Hop is Dead

Great thread!  Lately I've been listening to a lot of older stuff, found my old 60GB iPod from the Bearshare days!  Daft Punk - Discovery, Juelz Santana - From Me to U, Carlos Gardel (anything, especially when smoking)

23 hours ago, Bijan said:

Never listened to the whole album. Going for a long drive tonight, will put it on.

Wow, it hit me in the right spot. How about you?

• Like 1

While I'm extremely familiar with Wes Montgomery, I'm unfamiliar with Wynton Kelly Trio. Will give that a listen to, thanks. 

edit: long challenging day at work. This is perfect! Wes is just so smooth. Loving Wynton Kelly's cool piano. Imagine being able to see the likes of Kelly, Oscar Peterson, Monk, Art Tatum, The Duke, etc in the early to mid 20th century. 

I've been blessed to see Corea (RIP), Herbie, Keith Jarrett, McCoy Tyner, and Brubeck, but to have been able to hear that cool smooth grand piano sound, played by some of the original greats, would have been special. 

41 minutes later, that was sublime.

thanks!