Aging Humidor

NickV

Hey Everyone,

Happy Easter to those who celebrate.

I wanted to ask everyone about their aging process. Any specific humidor you recommend and what temp do you age your cigars?

Do you have a separate humidor just for aging or do you mix your daily smokes in the same humidor?

i typically buy and smoke my cigars within 90 days, but want to get into aging some as I read everyone saying how much better they taste with as little as 60-90 days rest all the way up to years and years. 

If you have enough space, why would you want a different cabinet to age them in?  I have excess boxes that won't fit in my cabinet vacuum sealed and stored in my cellar.  Those are doubles or more of boxes I already have in the cabinet.  Would rather make room for different boxes than 4 of the same... 

I can see see taking out a  week or month's worth of cigars into another humidor for convenience, but that's it.   Some like to dry box cigars, but if you plan to age them, dry boxing isn't as important.  Hold off on smoking the hydroscopic cigars until they turn for the better.  Could be a couple of years on those.

• Like 1

My Coolidor is full and I have 8 boxes en route mostly for aging. I think I have landed on a 44 quart iris/ziploc weather shield sealed container. They come in sets of three.  Hmmmm

will order a pound of heartfelt beads although each container probably only needs a half pound. Room to grow. 

cooler is best for open boxes imho. Easy in and out

edit to add that after just having lost my power for two days the empty extra coolers I have saved a lot of frozen meat (with some dry ice). Need those available going forward. Coolidor was not emptied but I did think about it

I have one coolidor for everything. I don't have a lot of cigars and most of my boxes are 10ct, so no issues with room yet. All the boxes for aging go on the bottom. I have a few trays for collecting 1/4 boxes and singles on top. 

Whatever you get to use for your humidor make sure you have room to grow. I went through 3 sistema containers before I went with the cooler. 

Generally speaking, most of my containers (the ones loaded with boxes anyway) are 'for aging', but I still crack them open from time.  I keep my larger containers (1 cooler and 3 large click lid containers with foam-rubber seals) at 65RH, but I usually pull a cigar or two from each box and put them in a tupperware container with 62RH boveda for smoking soon (these are 'on-deck').  Any cigar that's not 'on-deck' is 'aging', naturally, but these boxes will be accessed periodically to remove cigars for smoking.

I'm somewhat in agreeance with @The Squiggler on this one that currently, I don't have a large enough cabinet for everything (its in the works as we speak) but have a coolidor for all my customs, boxes i'll pull from regularly and just some others that I have several of.  I have a few airtight Ziploc latch lid containers that are for "aging" if you will only because I don't go into them and know that the sticks in there are boxes I don't want to break into yet, or have multiples of currently in the coolidor. Between 64-66RH and 62F in the coolidor while the house stays at about 68F. For long term aging however, the lower RH/Temp for longer periods of time is more beneficial.  If you can keep everything at 62/62 or right around there for all your CC's it will pay dividends for you.  Unfortunately the constant relative humidity in the air here is more than I would like and thus the higher RH for me.  I try and drybox everything I know I am smoking for 2-3 days before putting it to the fire. 

I used to keep cigars that were already aged in a separate cooler but ran out of room so I moved them to a separate humidor. It’s in a cooler part of the house and runs at 62f and 58%. It’s been working great for years and cigars smoke great right out of it. I assume the lower humidity is do to the lower temperature because the same set up in a different part of the house that is 69-70f stays around 62%.

No real reason to have to keep them separate but I have the space and it’s nice to go to the long term humidor if I want something old or special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, StogieSteve23 said:

For long term aging however, the lower RH/Temp for longer periods of time is more beneficial. 

Keep in mind, this tends to be a point of contention.  I think it's widely recognized that CCs smoke better when acclimated to lower RH, but for long-term storage...?  I worry my cigars will lose more of their oily sheen if stored at low RH for many years.  I always insist on low 60s for smoking and keep the long term storage containers a bit higher (mid to high 60s).. admittedly though, the difference between 62 and 65 might not make much of a difference in the long run.  I'm sure there are some expert opinions floating around... I just know FOH keeps the locker at ~60F/68RH

• Like 1

Keep in mind, this tends to be a point of contention.  I think it's widely recognized that CCs smoke better when acclimated to lower RH, but for long-term storage...?  I worry my cigars will lose more of their oily sheen if stored at low RH for many years.  I always insist on low 60s for smoking and keep the long term storage containers a bit higher (mid to high 60s).. admittedly though, the difference between 62 and 65 might not make much of a difference in the long run.  I'm sure there are some expert opinions floating around... I just know FOH keeps the locker at ~60F/68RH

Just my experience but with lots of cigars at 62f and 58% that have been in the long term humidor for 10+ years I’ve seen no negative effects like loss of sheen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Squiggler said:

A long time debated subject!  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StogieSteve23 said:

A long time debated subject!  

If Habanos SA seemed like more of a credible source on the issue I'd be tempted to put my faith in what they suggest (16-18C/65-70RH), but they make no distinction between storage conditions for smoking and aging, and I refuse to believe CCs smoke best at 65-70RH.  They do say this about evaporation, which I believe might prove true of lower RH, maybe not in 10 years, but if you were to age for 20+... maybe:

"The maximum time that a Habano can continue to be kept and to improve its taste qualities while it is ageing is another matter that attracts conflicting opinions. In any event the length of time it will last depends upon the blend and the quality of the tobaccos used to make the Habano that is being aged and, of course, on the correct temperature and humidity to avoid the cigar losing its aroma through evaporation."

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2020 at 4:58 PM, eldude said:

I have one coolidor for everything. I don't have a lot of cigars and most of my boxes are 10ct, so no issues with room yet. All the boxes for aging go on the bottom. I have a few trays for collecting 1/4 boxes and singles on top. 

Whatever you get to use for your humidor make sure you have room to grow. I went through 3 sistema containers before I went with the cooler. 

Hi, I am in same situation . What brand of coolidor are you using? Can you share a link or some details?

It's not a newair or anything like that, it's literally a cooler turned into a humidor.  This is what I did. I bought a 36qt Coleman cooler, blocked off the spout at the bottom with tape, and added foam tape to create a gasket on the lid. That's it. It holds humidity well, better regulates temperature, and holds a lot more than my multiple sistema containers. 

IMG_2819.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...