What's Your Dog Rocket Cigar List?

Since I also had experienced the dog rockets more than once like most of us, what are the worst cigars (a.k.a. dog rockets) you ever had? Mine are:

• Partagás Series No. 1 - By Jove, it is the worst cigar I've ever had! I was extremely horrified by its fireproof wrapper and plugged draw (tent peg) that made me think reviewing this Partagas EL was an absolute chore and torture from hell. I can't believe HSA messed up this EL so hard that made me skeptical about ELs (will try great ELs such as 1966 and Talisman). I'd rather pick Cohiba Shorts than puffing this godforsaken EL!
  • H. Upmann Robustos Añejados - It was puffable compare to Partagás Series No. 1, but still bad enough to be considered as the second worst cigar I've ever had. Although it is technically aged cigar, it was not only way too harsh but also bland and monotonous for my taste (gave 93 pts with slight hope for 1st Anejados from Week Comp Sampler). I had H. Upmann Robustos Añejados once again from another Week Comp Sampler, but ended up with the same meh experience (reevaluated to 86 pts like Partagás Series No. 1 ). This cigar gave me a clue of how would NCs taste like. I'd rather pick Cohiba Shorts or even better, aged regular production cigars than so called Añejados cigars!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, but the real enjoyment in asparagus is the aroma afterwards!  

My two worst smoking experiences were early on when I started smoking and they were both NC's. First. Partagas Black Label Robusto.  I remember blindly buying a box of these online. I was just ge

I couldn’t agree more about the Fonseca KDT. Bought 3 boxes in 2009, still have 2 boxes ?. I was young and stupid ??‍♀️

*For me - Fonseca KDT and Cosacos. The most personality-less, tasteless, mundane, uninteresting, flavorless Habanas I've ever had. I would truly choose ANY Guantanamera ANYTHING compared to those, anytime.

Second: Any of the releases of Trinidad after its initial release in 1993. The Fundadores lanceros (and I'm NOT a long and skinny fan) had MUCH more going for it than these newer guys. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cigcars said:

*For me - Fonseca KDT and Cosacos. The most personality-less, tasteless, mundane, uninteresting, flavorless Habanas I've ever had. I would truly choose ANY Guantanamera ANYTHING compared to those, anytime.

Second: Any of the releases of Trinidad after its initial release in 1993. The Fundadores lanceros (and I'm NOT a long and skinny fan) had MUCH more going for it than these newer guys. 

Whoa, Fonseca and Trinidad must be your nemesis marca for sure! Can't tell about Fonseca and Trinidad though, since I haven't tried anything from these marcas.

2 minutes ago, cigcars said:

I couldn’t agree more about the Fonseca KDT. Bought 3 boxes in 2009, still have 2 boxes ?. I was young and stupid ??‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

Whoa, Fonseca and Trinidad must be your nemesis marca for sure! Can't tell about Fonseca and Trinidad though, since I haven't tried anything from these marcas.

The Fonseca No.1 is okay. Flavorful, aromatic and enjoyable. And the unfortunately discontinued Invictos. Now THERE was a decent Fonseca smoke. Why it was discontinued and these two LOOSERS retained...I just can't figure out LCDH's reasoning here :thinking:

• Like 1

The Fonseca No.1 is okay. Flavorful, aromatic and enjoyable. And the unfortunately discontinued Invictos. Now THERE was a decent Fonseca smoke. Why it was discontinued and these two LOOSERS retained...I just can't figure out LCDH's reasoning here :thinking:
Fortunately, Fonseca No. 1 is still floating on the market. They are just not on recent 24:24. I'm big fan of skinnies and long CCs too, so I can't wait to review Fonseca No. 1!

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

A blind box purchase of 10 RyJ Short Churchills. I've cut and lit 6 of them. I don't say I've smoked 6 of them, because there is about a 95% chance they are fireproof, wildly underfilled, and will go out with anything less than a welding torch positioned on them for the 11 minute smoking experience before they just explode. I've cursed Castro's entire family multiple times for ever letting that box leave the island. I purchased a 6er here for comparison and want to give them 6mos-1 year before trying. The flavor profile intrigues me, but they're the worst constructed cigars I've had. a box of Punch Punch that I think are really just wooden dowels with a wrapper around them are a close second. I'll start a PerfecDraw on one of those and it will look up at me and say "what the hell do you think I can do about that? I'm not a miracle worker" and it jumps out of my hand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SmokyFontaine said:

A blind box purchase of 10 RyJ Short Churchills. I've cut and lit 6 of them. I don't say I've smoked 6 of them, because there is about a 95% chance they are fireproof, wildly underfilled, and will go out with anything less than a welding torch positioned on them for the 11 minute smoking experience before they just explode. I've cursed Castro's entire family multiple times for ever letting that box leave the island. I purchased a 6er here for comparison and want to give them 6mos-1 year before trying. The flavor profile intrigues me, but they're the worst constructed cigars I've had. a box of Punch Punch that I think are really just wooden dowels with a wrapper around them are a close second. I'll start a PerfecDraw on one of those and it will look up at me and say "what the hell do you think I can do about that? I'm not a miracle worker" and it jumps out of my hand. 

Poorly constructed cigars are huge bummer to me as well! I don't have PerfecDraw, but it doesn't always work especially on absolute tent peg sticks according to PerfecDraw users.

• Like 1

I'll be intrigued to see more responses here.  I've noticed that the FOH community in general thinks that a flavorless cigar is the worst kind of cigar.  I'm curious if anyone finds certain cigars to just be foul tasting.  I'll probably be banned from the forum for saying so, but I'd rather have a no-flavor Fonseca over a nasty tasting RASS.  I understand that lots of smokers here love the RASS but I don't get it.  I know people like asparagus too, I don't get that either except to say that we certainly all have different tastebuds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chibearsv said:

I'll be intrigued to see more responses here.  I've noticed that the FOH community in general thinks that a flavorless cigar is the worst kind of cigar.  I'm curious if anyone finds certain cigars to just be foul tasting.  I'll probably be banned from the forum for saying so, but I'd rather have a no-flavor Fonseca over a nasty tasting RASS.  I understand that lots of smokers here love the RASS but I don't get it.  I know people like asparagus too, I don't get that either except to say that we certainly all have different tastebuds.

Yeah, but the real enjoyment in asparagus is the aroma afterwards!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had a box of RASS a couple of years ago. I've heard of fire proof wrappers before, but some of these had fire proof binders! I initially thought it was the wrappers, so after trying to smoke the first inch down and experiencing more tunneling than Clint Eastwood in Alcatraz, I peeled the wrapper off, and it still wouldn't burn!

Thankfully, it only affected around a quarter of the box and the others were ok.

I'm not sure if you would include NC's here, (and I am personally a big fan of a lot of NC's) but the no.1 dog rocket award goes to Dunhill heritage torpedo. It tasted like someone had already smoked the cigar, took the ashes and rolled it in a wrapper leaf. Totally burnt, ashy and acrid. No redeeming features whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

The Punch EL 2017, Siglo VI, and RyJ Short Churchill, are the worst cigars I have smoked recently. I’m not sure how old the Siglo was but it was awful. From a 3 pack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jazzboypro said:

Never had a good RASS in the 2 boxes i had

Jeez. I'm starting to feel glad I'm not alone. I've had a handful of duds out of the one box I'm working through, but then have not touched an MSU box to give it a couple of years first in the hopes that it will give me the best chance possible to have the RASS experience so many rave about!  Now ya'll have me scared! Haa haa. 

5 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

5 hours ago, Colt45 said:

RASS, PSD4 (both '05 - RASS full box, PSD4 half+ box)

Flavorless crap.

4 hours ago, Joeyjojo said:

I had a box of RASS a couple of years ago. I've heard of fire proof wrappers before, but some of these had fire proof binders! I initially thought it was the wrappers, so after trying to smoke the first inch down and experiencing more tunneling than Clint Eastwood in Alcatraz, I peeled the wrapper off, and it still wouldn't burn!

Thankfully, it only affected around a quarter of the box and the others were ok.

I'm not sure if you would include NC's here, (and I am personally a big fan of a lot of NC's) but the no.1 dog rocket award goes to Dunhill heritage torpedo. It tasted like someone had already smoked the cigar, took the ashes and rolled it in a wrapper leaf. Totally burnt, ashy and acrid. No redeeming features whatsoever.

3 hours ago, jazzboypro said:

Never had a good RASS in the 2 boxes i had

Wow, I didn't expect RASS can be a victim of being dog rocket by poor construction (I'm big RASS fan)! Even NCs can't avoid from being dog rocket which is surprising!

3 hours ago, jdorn777 said:

The Punch EL 2017, Siglo VI, and RyJ Short Churchill, are the worst cigars I have smoked recently. I’m not sure how old the Siglo was but it was awful. From a 3 pack.

Punch EL 2017 seems one of the meh ELs on FOH, but unexpected to hear meh Siglo VI. Was Siglo VI muted or poorly constructed?

31 minutes ago, Meklown said:

RyJ Wide Churchill

HU Connoisseur A

Rio Seco

I'm surprised that you listed Connie A on your dog rocket list. I really like Connie A, so is there any reason why Connie A is your nemsis CC?

30 minutes ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

I'm surprised that you listed Connie A on your dog rocket list. I really like Connie A, so is there any reason why Connie A is your nemsis CC?

I had a full box over the good part of 2 years and absolutely nothing about the cigar stood out for me. I don't remember having had any construction issues, just simply were tasteless to me

• Like 2

I had a full box over the good part of 2 years and absolutely nothing about the cigar stood out for me. I don't remember having had any construction issues, just simply were tasteless to me

Thank you for sharing your Connie A experience! I had 6er Clearance Connie A before and they were absolute crackers despite of their youthfulness.
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Connoisseur Kim said:
59 minutes ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

Punch EL 2017 seems one of the meh ELs on FOH, but unexpected to hear meh Siglo VI. Was Siglo VI muted or poorly constructed?

The construction/burn/draw was quite good, but the flavor was off. Kind of all over the place, not in a good way either. I have never had a bad experience with any other Cohiba I’ve smoked. Esplendidos and Coro’s are 2 of my favorites, and my hopes were high with the Siglo VI based on all the rave reviews I’d seen. It was a big disappointment. Maybe I just got some duds. It happens. But at the price they command and the hype around them I expected something great. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jdorn777 said:

The construction/burn/draw was quite good, but the flavor was off. Kind of all over the place, not in a good way either. I have never had a bad experience with any other Cohiba I’ve smoked. Esplendidos and Coro’s are 2 of my favorites, and my hopes were high with the Siglo VI based on all the rave reviews I’d seen. It was a big disappointment. Maybe I just got some duds. It happens. But at the price they command and the hype around them I expected something great. 

Yeah, I think you just got dud Siglo VI, since there are many Siglo VI fan on FOH for sure. I never had Siglo VI too, so I want to review this cigar in someday. I really like CORO and Siglo II for Cohiba so far (Maduro 5 Genios for change of pace) ?!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

Fortunately, Fonseca No. 1 is still floating on the market. They are just not on recent 24:24. I'm big fan of skinnies and long CCs too, so I can't wait to review Fonseca No. 1!

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Fonseca 1s were up last week or week before.  I grabbed  a box for a friend I buy cigars for....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wineguy said:

Fonseca 1s were up last week or week before.  I grabbed  a box for a friend I buy cigars for....

Thanks mate! Too bad that I can't order anything from FOH, since Korea Post stopped accepting all international packages. I hope I can grab Fonseca 1s and Korea Post will go back to normal soon.