The most influential cigar release since 2000?

LE program for bring a new concept and getting people to collect (chase) new releases. Behike for opening their eyes to what they can do to create a premium market and raise margins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I would have to agree--Siglo VI really represented the quintessential 21st century release. 

We're not talking about influential program. Obviously the EL program, considered by most at the time to be risky and mainly an underhanded way to blow out crap wrappers, paved the way for all future programs. But as far as one cigar, the vitola, the brand, the time--Siglo VI really was the birth of an entire approach to marca expansion and the large RG trend at a time when all sorts of classic vitolas and models were getting cut en masse. 

• Like 2

The Cohiba siglo VI grand reserva is the most significant. The release started the trend of an increasing number of limited hard to find releases and increasing speculation in this segment of the market. When these came out, they sat on the shelves for 6 to 8 months despite universal praise. When they sold out the prices on the secondary market went through the roof in short order and people were clamoring for more. It seems like there’s a new special release out every month or so now, prices going up and up, with none seemingly available at less than 2x msrp. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Off the top of my head no specific single cigar, but generally speaking, the EL program.

Of all the EL releases, the Cohiba Piramides banded 2001 (actually came out in 2002) was most significant and influential. Despite being one terrible cigar, (as I remember Cigar Aficionado gave it a low 80’s rating under the torpedo category) it was one of the most sought and successful release at that time. Perhaps it was due to the same model previously appeared during the 1994 Dinner of the Century event. Then following that success, which prompted  HSA to release the Siglo VI, Canonazo, as I recalled some article stating it was a straight torpedo. It then led to 40th Aniversario Behike, which some called it a cross between Esplendido and Siglo VI. And that led to the BHK releases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, X-Man said:

Of all the EL releases, the Cohiba Piramides banded 2001 (actually came out in 2002) was most significant and influential.

Very likely, as is the Siglo VI in regular production. The Cohiba EL I always think of as getting a lot of buzz from around that time was the '03 Double Corona.

I don't pretend to know the history well enough to say one way or another, but I did notice this:  Since the BHK52 was awarded 'Cigar of the Year' by Cigar Aficionado in 2010 Habanos SA's yearly profits have steadily increased and are currently around 50% higher than they were (on average) between 2005 and 2010 (this could obviously be a coincidence/attributed to a multitude of other factors/etc., but I'd say it has at least contributed to the increased commercial success of Havana cigars in recent years). The Bolivar Royal Corona also received that accolade in 2006, but the Behike seems to garner far more mystique than a cigar like the BRC ever could (due to the price point, presentation, lore, etc.). 

Probably the Siglo 6 in 2003. I remember smoking one NYE 2003 and thinking a cigar couldn't get much better but then the Cohiba Double Corona LE 2003 came along which for me personally was the most sought after.