JohnS' Smoking Diary 2020

JohnS

1726442721_2020-12-2916_13_32.jpg.aa4717069e96b3d8608345c80692d4fe.jpg

Montecristo No.5 AUM Jul 2014

The Montecristo No.5 is a 40 ring gauge x 102 mm (or 4 inches in length) perla and was amongst the foundation Montecristo numbered vitolas introduced when the brand debuted in 1935. It stands a little on its own in relation to the Montecristo No.1, 3 and 4 because it is indeed more intense in strength and body in comparison and the flavours may appear 'sharper' to the palate.

Despite the deep brown colorado wrapper on this Montecristo No.5, time has indeed rounded out the sharper flavours inherent in a Monte 5 when young. This was like drinking a mocha coffee/chocolate milkshake from 'go-to-whoa'. It goes without saying that I greatly enjoyed it, if only I could smoke it a little longer!

This was my second Monte 5 from this box. I still envisage that I'll smoke through this box over the next 12 to 24 months.

• Like 4

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cohiba Piramides Extra (circa 2012) The Cohiba Piramides Extra, chances are...you've never had one, or more likely one or two in your lifetime (or less than a box, which comes in a 10-count).

El Rey del Mundo Choix Suprême MLU Nov 2018 This El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme (and please do kindly pronounce choix like the French - shwa and not choy!) was picked up in a 24:24 quarter pack o

Montecristo No.4 UEB Ago 2018 This is the second Montecristo No.4 I've reached for from this UEB Ago 18 box. How does it compare to the UEB May 2018 box I've half-finished and have been 'waxin

1210598721_2020-12-2917_12_24.jpg.dbcd6ee0ce483fae4aa0fab9bf60539f.jpg

H. Upmann Half Corona OPG Feb 2015

The H.Upmann Half Corona was released in 2011, has a 44 ring gauge and is 90 mm or 3½ inches in length. It typically smokes around 25 to 35 minutes. It comes packaged in a 5-pack metal tin or 25-count dress box. This OPG Feb 2015 H.Upmann Half Corona I smoked today came from a dress box.

When young the H.Upmann Half Corona is noted for its espresso coffee, toasted tobacco and white pepper/spice flavours. This is the second cigar I've had from this box and as it approaches its sixth year I've again found that the flavours have melded a little and this HU Half Corona had diminished to around the medium mark in strength. The flavours this time were mainly coffee, a little shortbread and leather. There was more notes of sweet licorice at its core and the toasted tobacco was more diminished in comparison to my first HU Half Corona from the box. I also got some hints of white pepper coming through at times through the smoke.

Again, I wouldn't say that this cigar has become 'softer' over time. Rather, I would state that it's certainly nowhere near as intense as a HU Half Corona typically smoked within 12 to 24 months of its box date and the toasted tobacco and white pepper/spice you might find in youth has given way to other interesting flavours. I aim to age this box past the next 12 to 18 months because I'm curious as to how this cigar will develop further, but I was so enamored with how this HU Half Corona smoked today that I'm tempted to smoke another one or two in the next week. As John Steinbeck said, "the best laid plans of mice and men!"

• Like 3

248308267_2020-12-3112_15_31.jpg.ed9691eb881fe87792773d842e3184f9.jpg

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2 UTL Jul 2019

It's always exciting to open a new box of cigars to replace a 'staple' in one's humidor and this UTL Jul 2019 Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2 was the first one from a recently arrived box.

Like my last Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2 (a BUP Mar 2018 example), this Epi 2 had some cedar, powdered soft cocoa, vanilla malt and a cream texture which appealed, held my attention and satisfied over 70 to 75 minutes of smoking time. It smoked a little better than my last Epi 2 because it had a touch of cinnamon spice interspersed throughout, and more so in the back half, which I very much appreciated as it added a little complexity to the cigar.

Overall I'd give this cigar a solid 92 points. I envisage that I'll have a second stick from this new box within the week, based on how well this smoked.

• Like 3

567243117_2020-12-3114_11_03.jpg.763897fec773d6124d8934f310625c28.jpg

Partagás Selección Privada 2014 - Edición Limitada OPG Dic 2014

The Partagas Seleccion Privada Limited Edition was released in 2014, along with the Bolivar Super Corona and Cohiba Robustos Supremos. Initial reviews suggested that it was like a Partagas Serie D No.4, only richer. The consensus, at the time, was that this cigar was ripe for aging, with a 3 to 5 year window.

A double robusto with a 50 ring gauge by 160 mm (or 6¼ inches) length, my last Partagas Seleccion Privada Limited Edition, smoked three-and-a-half weeks ago, took a little over 2 hours to enjoy. It was medium-strengthed and the flavours were not as indicative of the Partagas marca as previous examples I've smoked between the two-year and four-year mark. I still got that core coffee, leather, toasted tobacco and wood but there was no Partagas spice at all and the cocoa has receded. That being said, it was still a very good cigar.

This second cigar from the box had a core coffee, wood, leather and toasted tobacco blend. It was more creamy and it had some Partagas spice to it which kept it interesting. It was a little over medium strength. The back half suggested that the rest of the box had 'peak' flavours for some time yet. It was a touch better than my first one. I will probably re-visit this box in another month and then let it rest for a time to see how the cigars are towards the end of 2021. 

This will be my final review in the Daily Smoking thread, for a time, as I will be taking a break during January 2021. I wanted to take this opportunity to wish you a much, much better 2021 than 2020. In the meantime, happy smoking!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 06/12/2020 at 10:09 PM, JohnS said:

1631122514_2020-11-2019_16_20.jpg.6586facbb2753e9688e1ad20bd34a13c.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Petit Julietas circa 2019

I like to thank @Luca for gifting me this Romeo y Julieta Petit Julietas, my very first one! I've had a heap of similarly-sized entreactos (30 ring gauge x 100 mm or 3⅞ inches in length) before with the Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Maire and El Rey del Mundo Demi Tasse but I can assert this small panatela was very different to the HdM du Maire and ERdM Demi Tasse.

The cigar started out with typical Romeo y Julieta flavours of cocoa and berry fruits but towards the middle it became very herbal, like a mix of grass and mint. It was certainly very different. To say I enjoyed it would be an understatement!

I do feel that one has to be predisposed to Romeo y Julieta as a marca to fully appreciate a cigar like this otherwise it can come off as 'muddled'. If you don't mind RyJ Habanos cigars do yourself a favour and give this a try if you like the intensity of a smaller 20 to 25 minute cigar such as this one.

Thank you for the review John! I'm glad you have enjoyed your first Petit Julieta! 

Please note the box code is actually OPG ENE 15.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Luca said:

Thank you for the review John! I'm glad you have enjoyed your first Petit Julieta! 

Please note the box code is actually OPG ENE 15.

Thank you Luca. That's great to know! Cheers.