JohnS' Smoking Diary 2020

JohnS

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cohiba Piramides Extra (circa 2012) The Cohiba Piramides Extra, chances are...you've never had one, or more likely one or two in your lifetime (or less than a box, which comes in a 10-count).

El Rey del Mundo Choix Suprême MLU Nov 2018 This El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme (and please do kindly pronounce choix like the French - shwa and not choy!) was picked up in a 24:24 quarter pack o

Montecristo No.4 UEB Ago 2018 This is the second Montecristo No.4 I've reached for from this UEB Ago 18 box. How does it compare to the UEB May 2018 box I've half-finished and have been 'waxin

2065117759_2020-02-0518_54_31.jpg.1eec214aff29d021383651480547fba3.jpg

H. Upmann Petit Coronas LUB May 2014

Well it's been a little over 12 months since I've had the opportunity to enjoy a H.Upmann Petit Corona. Below are my notes from my recent ones...

June 2016 (ROA Sep 2006)

Well, well, well...these have been a sensation. The first one I had from this box split was medium in strength and peppery, the rest have been milder, creamier and pleasant in shortbread and that 'Upmann' aged tobacco we all know and love (together with hints of coffee and cedar). I have seven left, but I don't plan to rest them!

November 2016 (ROA Sep 2006)

You may not keep your stash of H.Upmann Petit Coronas around long enough to truly savour how special this cigar is at this age. Truly outstanding. Coffee, cream, cocoa, tobacco, cedar and shortbread throughout, I wanted another immediately after I nubbed it!

December 2018 (TOS Nov 2006)

Approaching 2-and-a-half years of age, how does this compare to some superlative examples I've had closer to 10 years rested? Simply put, the melding of flavours is still to come, but in the meantime one can very much enjoy the complexity in these as they age.

As a result of the H.Upmann Petit Corona being discontinued in 2017, this means that the last boxes bought in late 2016 (perhaps early 2017) would have been quite strong upon initial smoking, especially in espresso coffee flavours. As they age to around the 3-year mark, there will most likely be a buildup of cream and shortbread flavour, something for which H.Upmann is known for, with the espresso coffee and pepper still evident, more towards the back half. This was the case exactly with this cigar.

I have a few boxes resting for the long-term of this, in my opinion, hugely under-rated cigar (as I doubt it ever sold anywhere near in the huge quantities the Montecristo No.4 sells) and my aim is to smoke them at the point where they are like mellow cedar and cream shortbread sticks with a hint of coffee and white pepper. I know this will take awhile but the payoff will be worth it.

How was this one, at three months short of six years of age? Quite good, but not as creamy as I like it. This still had a little potency, the type you find when these are in the three to five years rested stage. Flavours were espresso coffee, a little cedar, shortbread, a hint of white pepper and a some licorice sweetness. Creaminess was evident but just a little at this stage. Perhaps one can equate that licorice sweetness as the flavour one gets in the crossover period when these have more leather in their youth and more creaminess in their long-term age.

• Like 4

1972584993_2020-03-2915_04_04.jpg.a194290e0c122d0f3a257382aa1cbfa7.jpg

Bolívar Belicosos Finos MSU May 2019

The Bolivar Belicosos Finos comes from a marca I don't readily identify with as a Habanos cigar enthusiast, yet from time-to-time I continue to challenge my preferences (and biases) by smoking one. This Bolivar Belicosos Finos was included in the 2019 Xmas Sampler and it was the second cigar I had from that 12-pack sampler.

Your average Piramide (also known colloquially as a Torpedo) is 52 ring gauge x 156 mm (or 6⅛ inches) in length, the BBF is a Campanas and so is slightly smaller at 52 ring gauge x 140 mm (or 5½ inches) in length. I've found them quite reliable in construction and flavour delivery over the years, on the odd occasion I have one. This one continued that fine tradition!

Unlike recent BBFs I've enjoyed, this did not have a gorgeous soft cocoa and marshmallow texture to it from the 'get-go'. Rather, it had a bitter malt, nutmeg and slight cream with a build up in earth and leather flavours in the back half, which made for a wonderfully complex and ideal choice for a change from my usual 'go-to' cigars.

• Like 4

• JohnS pinned this topic

647920131_2020-03-3111_53_24.jpg.dbb07601031cde45f1605c8b553e23d4.jpg

Nudies N1 Lancero

Do you remember how excited our FoH forum was when we heard the news that El Pres was developing some new cigars in collaboration with master Cuban roller, Hamlet Paredes? It doesn't seem that long ago, does it? For those of you unfamiliar with the Nudies releases, the intention was to blend more than the eventual two cigars produced, but this wasn't possible to achieve for commercial reasons, so El Pres and Hamlet settled on tweaking a blend which was close enough to replicating the 2010 discontinued Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.1 and Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3.

The Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.1 was a lancero size with 38 ring gauge by 192 mm (or 7½ inches) in length dimensions. I gave my N1 Lanceros the recommended 90 day rest period to allow them to settle and keenly lit up my first one today. The first thing I noticed was that the smell of the cigars when I broke open their packaging was very different to the standard Habanos 'barnyard' smell that I've become accustomed to. This was more akin to grass rather than hay. The cold draw was quite inviting though, there was lashing of a sweet cocoa which had me intrigued and excited to light it up. And so I did.

It didn't take me long to realise what El Pres and Hamlet were trying to achieve when I smoked through the first third. For me, it was plainly obvious that they were attempting to bring back the classic Habanos deeply rich leather-blended cigars of the early 2000s. This, together with notes of sourdough and mild sweet cocoa made me appreciate how good Partagas-type cigars like this once were. There was also a touch of Partagas spice here and there, but overall this cigar was pretty consistent in its flavour.

The ash and construction were consistent, the cigar was sufficiently full in flavour and medium in strength. What more could you want? It makes it hard to believe it was blended with Non-Cuban tobacco, but knowing that there's no Nicaraguan ligero leaf in these makes me understand and appreciate the muted bite and the sweet flavours. El Pres himself said that the small factory, small team (6 rollers), Hamlet blending, Cuban factory manager, choice of good aged tobaccos and great chemistry made things all come together well for the 2019 edition. I couldn't agree more!

• Like 4

2109866264_2020-03-3113_32_29.jpg.067f5363cc240ad85b3db10a88bc98bd.jpg

Nudies N3 Carlota

If you aren't familiar with the Nudies releases on our FoH forum, I can tell you that they are a 2019 collaboration between El Pres and master Cuban roller, Hamlet Paredes using Non-Cuban leaf. Specifically, the filler is made up of Nicaraguan quality aged seco and volado, there is no ligero which means no strong pepper and less 'kick'. The Nudies N1 Lancero was designed to replicate the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.1, the Nudies N3 Carlota was designed to replicate the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3. Both Partagas cigars were discontinued in 2010.

The Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3 was 35 ring gauge by 143 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length. The N3 Carlota is slighter bigger and longer, 38 ring by 152 mm (or 6 inches) in length. The reason for this was the difference in blend and taste once it got down past the 38 ring gauge mark in testing. Hence why the N3 Carlota is slightly bigger than the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3.

In comparison to the N1 Lancero, which is the same ring gauge but 40 mm (or 1.6 inches) longer in length, the N3 Carlota had similar flavours but was much more bold in its leather and more diminished in its sourdough. There was some mild sweet cocoa and Partagas-type spice at times. In summary, this N3 Carlota was even more full-flavoured than the N1 Lancero yet I'd still label it every bit as classy an effort as the N1.

I was fortunate enough to discuss the N3 Carlota with El Pres whereby I noted, in my opinion, that the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.3 tended to be more 'toasty' or crispy from my memory. He agreed, but they did what they could with the resources they had. By those standards I concurred that El Pres and Hamlet did a fine job. Yes, a fine job indeed!

• Like 4

992457327_2020-04-0212_12_30.jpg.52dea9acfe233a25ccd864f3280407d9.jpg

Quai d'Orsay No. 50 MSA May 2019

This Quai d'Orsay No.50 today made me appreciate what a good run I've had with this cigar in the last twelve months. It was slightly underfilled and as a result it gave off large plumes of smoke per draw and hence I needed to smoke it very slowly.

The usual toffee-like sweetness and soft hay flavours weren't there, in their place was the charred wood and spice which in comparison I tolerated but lamented missing. There was some ginger shortbread to redeem the cigar, even if that redemptive value was relatively minor.

Overall, this cigar was a disappointment but I've had so many good to great Quai d'Orsay No.50s that I envisage the next one I have will make me forget this one!

• Like 3

1969909131_2020-04-0412_53_32.jpg.aa589aaa1cdd30fde693ce8facaed02b.jpg

Cohiba Espléndidos UAO Jun 2019

The Esplendidos is the type of cigar I find that I don't have a preference for its age, I can equally enjoy it 12 months or under, at the 5 year mark and even well over 10 years. This Cohiba Esplendidos from the 2019 Xmas Sampler had very typical Esplendidos flavours, consistent with the Cohiba Clasica line, such as milk coffee or mocha, butter, honey and some hints of vanilla. There was no real spice nor Cohiba grass/hay, which you can get in these Clasica line cigars at times, but which I find more consistent in the Siglo line.

If you are a Cohiba fan, then this is the type of cigar that would appeal to your senses, especially when it smokes like this one did!

• Like 4

1589675317_2020-04-0415_22_57.jpg.2e193ac6dd6fe35e49150fbad244f8c1.jpg

Trinidad Fundadores ARS Jun 2019

The 2018 Xmas Sampler included a Trinidad Fundadores as they've been a 'hot' cigar for a few years now. In my review from that Sampler series I wrote the following...

The eighth cigar I've had from the 2018 Xmas Sampler Series, this was every bit as consistently good as the combined seven or eight ARS and RAG '17/'18 box code cigars I've sampled in 2018. This was milk coffee, dough and a touch of spice which picked up a little more in the last third. Again, as I've mentioned in previous reviews of Trinidad cigars, this milk coffee and dough combination is unlike the more complex wood, grass, honey, coffee flavours I've picked up in Trinidad cigars I've smoked in the last 3 to 5 years. Less complex, as every bit as good!  

I thought it was extremely generous of El Pres to include the Trinidad Fundadores (as well as some other up-market prestigious cigars) in the 2019 Xmas Sampler. I found today's cigar having more bite in those milk coffee flavours, in fact, they were more akin to roasted coffee flavours and there was less of the softer dough, cake and almond nut flavours. There was no spice but the dough remained consistent throughout. The intensity of the cigar didn't build up at all which allowed me to nub this to my fingertips. Obviously this was a telltale sign that I enjoyed this Fundadores quite a lot, even if it had more strength and intensity of flavour than what I'm used to. In fact, I can still summon the aftertaste of the cigar on my palate as I type this, around six hours after I finished it!

• Like 4

1666124689_2020-04-0511_17_37.jpg.5b8d958c47c260b32e8c42f44d955de7.jpg

H. Upmann Sir Winston EOS Jun 2019

This is the sixth cigar I've had from the 2019 Xmas Sampler and at just on 10 months of age, this smoked a little harsher than the previous H.Upmann Sir Winston I had late last year. The H.Upmann shortbread and espresso flavours were there, combined with a sweet woodiness and leather in the back half. There were hints of dark or bitter chocolate in the last third, still, this was a great smoke, very easy to nub!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

1200028365_2020-04-0611_55_45.jpg.8b8d36de1377022420d2f044c1fc1b0c.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Churchills BUP May 2019

Do you ever feel that for every marca, vitola or specific Habanos cigar you always seem to luck out on when it comes to smoking, on the flip side, there always seems to be one marca or specific cigar that keeps on delivering, no matter what. In the last 24 to 36 months the Romeo y Julieta Churchill has represented that cigar for me.

It's not like I'm a Romeo y Julieta apologist. Far from it, as there are other Habanos brands I'd gravitate to first, but the RyJ Churchill just seems to be batting 1000 lately, to borrow a well-known baseball saying.

So what is about recent Romeo y Julieta Churchills that have made their consistency so remarkable? I'd say it would have to be the fact that, for me, since 2016, across a number of box codes, the RyJ Churchill has delivered in construction and in flavour. In regards to construction, I can't recall one overly tight or loose in the draw or burning inconsistently. (Although I have had one or two requiring multiple re-lights!) In regards to flavour, they just seem to always be full of those fruit and cocoa/chocolate flavours. Whether you call it cherries, berries or so on, they just always seem 'fruity' and I need to mention their consistent delivery of sweet flavours too such as anise or licorice, rosewater and turkish delight.

This Romeo y Julieta Churchill was the seventh cigar I smoked from the 2019 Xmas Sampler and I must admit that thus far, it's been the best. This is saying something when one compares it to the Cohiba Esplendidos, H.Upmann Sir Winston and Trinidad Fundadores. (Please note, that at the time of writing, I haven't smoked the Cohiba Robustos, Bolivar Silver Jubilee, Ramon Allones Silver Jubilee, Punch 8-9-8 or El Rey del Mundo Tainos yet) I wonder if this will still be best when I finish smoking the Sampler series. I guess we'll see.

• Like 4

1565064908_2020-04-0711_38_11.jpg.aa8cea847dbd88d8425479897e463ad6.jpg

Bolívar Silver Jubilee 2017 - Edición Regional Hong Kong LGR Jun 2019

The Bolivar Silver Jubilee was announced as the 2017 Hong Kong Regional Edition by the Asia Pacific Habanos cigar distributor PCC, along with the Ramon Allones Silver Jubilee, to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Pacific Cigar Co Pty Ltd. The cigar first came onto the market a little over a year later in early-2019. It's a gordito-sized 50 ring gauge by 141 mm (or 5½ inches) in length with a tapered head, which is incidentally the same size as the Ramon Allones Hunter and Frankau Aniversario 225.

You may have heard it oft-said that Asia-Pacific Regional cigars require significant rest to blossom, so-to-speak, somewhere in the vicinity of five years. After smoking the Bolivar Silver Jubilee, from this year's Xmas Sampler, and at only eleven months of age, I would venture to say that five years would serve you as a guide on these. In my opinion, a good 36 months would be ideal.

The reasoning for this is in the blend. This cigar was strong on certain flavours such as bitter malt, leather and light on cocoa. It was that combination of Bolivar-like bitter malt and leather which made this cigar a little too intense for me at this point, but the sweet caramel or toffee flavours did keep me interested.

I would envisage that some time down will diminish those stronger Bolivar flavours and promote the sweeter ones. If I had a box I would reach for another one in 12 months to see how they are progressing.

• Like 3