JohnS' Smoking Diary 2020

JohnS

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cohiba Piramides Extra (circa 2012) The Cohiba Piramides Extra, chances are...you've never had one, or more likely one or two in your lifetime (or less than a box, which comes in a 10-count).

El Rey del Mundo Choix Suprême MLU Nov 2018 This El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme (and please do kindly pronounce choix like the French - shwa and not choy!) was picked up in a 24:24 quarter pack o

Montecristo No.4 UEB Ago 2018 This is the second Montecristo No.4 I've reached for from this UEB Ago 18 box. How does it compare to the UEB May 2018 box I've half-finished and have been 'waxin

1426407685_2020-04-1711_51_48.jpg.64ee881cd99fa1761e7241a0f1aea066.jpg

Cohiba Siglo III 2006

The Cohiba Siglo III is probably my favourite cigar in the Linea 1492 series. I think the reasons may be sentimental; I have strong memories of the first time I smoked an aged Cohiba Siglo III, I love the size of the cigar and it consistently seems to smoke well for me.

I'd like to thanks @Trevor2118 for gifting me this cigar. The Linea 1492 series was announced in November 1992 as the new line of Cohiba intended to replace the premium Davidoff Chateau series which concluded in 1991. When these cigars did hit the market (in 1994), the Cohiba Siglo III, a coronas grandes cigar with a 42 ring gauge x 155 mm (or 6⅛ inches) length was the replacement cigar for Davidoff Château Mouton Rothschild cigar in the Chateau series.

Today, the Cohiba Siglo III is only one of two regular production coronas grandes cigars in existence. The last one deleted from Habanos S.A's catalogue, the highly-regarded cigar enthusiast favourite, the Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux, was discontinued in 2014 but most coronas grandes-sized cigars were discontinued in the early-2000s soon after Habanos S.A. was 50% acquired by Altidis in 2000.

This Siglo III was impeccably constructed, ashed and smoked well. The main characteristics of the cigar were its refined grass/hay, creamy texture, gorgeous vanilla bean and light spice. I was able to retrohale quite easily, even into the final third. It goes without saying that I smoked this to my fingertips.

Despite being 14 years old had this cigar peaked? I would say definitely not, this Siglo III still had 'legs' for years to come. But in comparison to younger Cohiba Siglo III I've smoked from late-2016 in the last few years, this 2006 example is more like what I prefer when I smoke a Cohiba Siglo III, which like many of you no doubt, is not often enough.

• Like 3

1588304895_2020-04-1812_04_07.jpg.93ce6ce82cbd249b8672d5565c984d3a.jpg

Cohiba Siglo VI ARG Jun 2015

The Cohiba Siglo VI. Even when they are $US35 to 40 a stick nowadays they seem to just sell. Announced as a new release in 2002 but not coming to market until a year later in 2003, the initial run are noted as the very best produced. Subsequently, the Siglo VI has continued to enjoy an esteemed reputation, even in comparison to the other cigars in the Linea 1492 series.

My theory, and it's just that...a theory, is that the very first Siglo VI were not released for regular production sales but rather for the special release Siglo X Humidor. This humidor was meant to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the Linea 1492 series in 2002. 500 Humidors were produced with 15 sticks each ranging from the Siglo I to VI, so 7500 Siglo VI were produced for this Humidor release overall. The leaf in this run was of a high quality and the excess must have gone into the initial regular production Siglo VI which came late to market in 2003.

The canonazo size is unique to this vitola. It was the first cigar to have this size, and the size at that time stood out because it was 52 ring gauge, which excepting piramide cigars which taper at the head, this cigar forged the path for the larger ring gauge cigars we are more familiar with nowadays. I've always found them a little different in the blend in comparison to the Siglo I - V, they just seem to share some characteristics with the Linea Clasica Cohiba cigars for me; such as mocha coffee and butter notes as they age.

This Cohiba Siglo VI, at a few months short of 5 years, had some lovely refined grass/hay notes, honey sweetness and butter notes from the outset. It was remarkably easy to retrohale through the nose. As the cigar proceeded it developed some lemon citrus and spice. Into the last third it picked up in intensity and was quite spicy through the retrohale, which is quite normal.

So overall; yes, this was a quality cigar. It goes without saying that it should be too, especially with the premium pricing these days!

• Like 3

102471284_2020-04-1815_07_50.jpg.d6200939f4381ba8cb3f9c7507ac18e3.jpg

Cohiba Siglo VI 2006

I've been waiting for some time to enjoy this aged Cohiba Siglo VI. I had enjoyed a mid-2015 Siglo VI prior to this and I was eager to compare notes on the two cigars.

This 2006 Siglo VI started off quite potent in its flavours. It was also the same through the retrohale. There was quite a lot of spice, much more than the 2015 Siglo VI. The construction was ideal however, each ash-length was over an inch and the ash colour on this cigar was a beautiful white-grey throughout.

The flavours were mainly refined grass/hay and spice through to the middle third. About half-way through the middle third I ashed and noticed some leaves bunched in the middle. I figured that the great plumes of smoke, spice and subsequent heaviness on my palate was a result of this. I figured that the cigar would settle after this point (and I was correct).

Towards the end of the middle third and into the final third of the cigar, I picked up some more honey sweetness, lemon citrus and a touch of vanilla bean. I just wished that the whole cigar was milder and settled like it was towards the back half.

Nevertheless, I was grateful for what I got at the end. I still have some Cohiba Siglo VI to explore from my humidor but just a couple (for now). Perhaps I will seek one out soon!

• Like 3

986937625_2020-04-2011_34_29.jpg.51b2bcd8c64310afc7de6aca8ad22781.jpg

Cohiba Pirámides 2003 - Reserva Selección 2003

The Cohiba Reserva Seleccion from 2002 was the first special release in the Reserva line. Nowadays, the Reserva series is a bi-annual release, alternating with Gran Reserva releases. They also include common regular production cigars, albeit made with higher quality leaf. The first Reserva release was paradoxical in that it included 30 cigars (which is around twice what you get in these type of releases these days) and it included five vitolas; 8 Piramides (i.e. standard size 52 ring gauge x 156 mm, not the bigger-sized current regular production cigar, the Cohiba Piramides Extra which is 54 ring gauge x 160 mm), 4 Esplendidos, 6 Robustos, 6 Coronas Especiales and 6 Media Coronas (which was a vitolas specifically made for this release, being identical in ring gauge to the Coronas Especiales but 10 mm shorter - 38 ring gauge x 142 mm).

This Cohiba Piramides Reserva Seleccion from 2003 was nothing like the 2012 Cohiba Piramides Extra in its blend. I would equate it more with the Linea 1492 series rather than the Linea Clasica. This cigar was all refined grass/hay throughout. In the the initial third there were hints of light milk coffee, but the smooth grass/hay combined with strong cedar notes dominated. There was a delightful creamy texture to this cigar from the beginning and this continued throughout the smoke.

Into the middle third I picked up some vanilla bean notes and quite marveled at how smooth the cigar was to retrohale through the nose. This continued into the last third where the intensity barely raised itself and the retrohale was just as smooth to my senses as it was in the middle of the cigar.

This was a pleasure to nub and I must acknowledge @Trevor2118 for gifting me this cigar to smoke (thank you, dear friend!). This cigar was every bit as good as some recent 2006 Linea 1492 cigars I've enjoyed (i.e. the Siglo III and Siglo IV). I'm truly grateful to have smoked it.

• Like 3

500904701_2020-04-2014_50_34.jpg.060936277c00ff4a31a3558df28c0d78.jpg

Cohiba Piramides Extra  2012

The Cohiba Piramides Extra was released in 2012 as an addition to the Linea Clasica series. I used to think that it was simply a regular production release of the 2001 and/or 2006 Cohiba Piramides Limited Editions but I'm convinced now that, apart from the increased dimensions of the cigar, this Piramides Extra is a different cigar due to its blend.

You see, there haven't been just two special Cohiba Piramides releases prior to the regular production addition of the CPE. No, in that time prior to 2012, there were in fact another 7 special Piramides releases in the Cohiba marca. Yes, seven! And all these were your standard 52 ring gauge x 156 mm in length.

The Cohiba Piramides Extra is a rich cigar best savoured on a special occasion and smoked slowly, in my opinion. I have always found them on the stronger side, even after 5 years of age or more. This cigar was full of mocha coffee and Earthy flavours from the get-go until the end. It settled towards the end of the first third where I was able to make out some buttery notes, honey sweetness and a little orange citrus. I retrohaled a few times during this smoke but the spice through the nose was so intense that I was reticent to retrohale more than this.

In comparison to the special release Cohiba Piramides Seleccion Reserva I enjoyed from 2003 prior to smoking this cigar, the two cigars couldn't be more polar opposite. The 2012 Piramides Extra was fuller in strength, fuller in flavour and consisted of mainly strong mocha coffee, Earth, a buttery texture, some honey sweetness and a hint of orange citrus. The 2003 Seleccion Reserva Piramides was much milder in strength, more subtle and nuanced in flavour and consisted mainly of refined grass/hay, a creamy texture, cedar, light milk coffee and vanilla bean notes.

So, when you want a bold cigar over two hours or more in the Cohiba line, then I'd recommend this cigar for you. Otherwise, if you'd prefer classic grass/hay and honey notes in a softer and milder expression, stick with aged Linea 1492 series cigars from this marca.

• Like 3

1057531146_2020-04-2113_26_36.jpg.8d8b223621e81b1d9af7dc24e5fec2ca.jpg

Cohiba 1966 2011 - Edición Limitada 2011

The Cohiba 1966 2011 Limited Edition was a release that marked the 45th Anniversary of the Cohiba marca. It's a large cigar, a Canonazo Especial with a ring gauge of 52 and a length of 166 mm (or 6½ inches). The only other release in the Habanos catalogue with these dimensions is the similarly-reputed Trinidad La Trova LCDH.

I must again thank @Trevor2118 for gifting me this cigar to review. It comes with a pigtail, which I find curious as traditionally Laguito No.1 (38 rg x 192 mm or 7½ inches) and Laguito No.2 cigars (38 rg x 152 mm or 6 inches) come with a pigtail.  The following Habanos cigars have (or had prior to discontinuation) pigtail caps:

•  Cohiba Lanceros
  •  Cohiba Coronas Especiales
  •  Montecristo Especial
  •  Montecristo Especiales No.2
  •  ALL Trinidad vitolas including the Fundadores and special releases such as the 2016 Topes Limited Edition and the recent 2017 LCDH La Trova
  •  Davidoff No.1 and No.2
  •  Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de Dauphin and Odeon
  •  Vegueros Especiales No.1 and Especiales No.2
  •  2011 Cohiba 1966 LE
  •  2017 (and 2019) Cohiba Talisman
  •  Cohiba Behike 52, 54 and 56

The main thing I can glean from the original size and purpose of the Cohiba Lanceros and Cohiba Coronas Especiales is the fact that they are both long and skinny 38 ring gauge cigars and were initially handed out as diplomatic and VIP gifts. Consequently, most of the cigars listed above are (or were) 38 ring gauge cigars. Trinidad as a marca was also a diplomatic cigar prior to being introduced publicly in 1998. Trinidad was marketed as a premium marca and all vitolas have had pigtails. The Cohiba Behike 52, 54 and 56, introduced in 2010 as regular production cigars had pigtails and recently the Cohiba Limited Editions, the 1966 and Talisman have been released with pigtails.

I assume the best guess as to why these cigars have pigtails is to assist with clipping the cap without the use of a cutter.

Another feature of Limited Edition cigars is the maduro-shade wrapper. The wrappers on Limited Editions are aged two years and commonly influence a chocolate-y flavour on the cigar profile. What's the difference between the wrapper on a Limited Edition and the wrapper on the Cohiba Maduro 5 and Partagas Maduro Series?

Maduro wrappers utilised in the Cohiba Maduro 5 series (released in 2007) come for the very top of shade-grown plants, with extra aging (5 years) and fermentation required. These result in an added 'sweetness' 'to the flavour of the blend.

The Partagas Maduro No.1 was released in 2015. Habanos S.A described this cigar as follows, 'The Partagas Maduro No.1 offers the smoker all the flavour and intensity of Partagas, with a very special wrapper, selected from the best leaves harvested from the top levels of the “ Shade-Grown ” tobacco plant and which has developed, after an additional period of fermentation, a texture and intense color that are the ideal complements to the full flavour blend of Maduro No.1'.

And so, maduro wrappers in this sense differ from the maduro-shaded wrappers due to the process undertaken to produce these wrappers, which require extra aging and fermentation.

What about Limited Edition cigars? Do these utilise maduro-shaded wrappers or technically-speaking, are they maduro-processed wrappers? The wrappers on the cigars are described thusly, 'Limited Edition wrappers are darker than those found on standard Habanos. Darker wrappers come from the leaves picked from the higher levels on shade-grown tobacco plants, which are thicker. Such leaves demand longer periods for fermentation and ageing so they are left in bales for at least two years before the cigars are made.' In my opinion, these maduro-shaded wrappers are a little sweeter than normal, helping to influence the common 'chocolate-y' flavour of Limited Edition cigars.

I untwisted the pigtail on this cigar and clipped the cap with my thumbnail. Initial cold draw notes were of distinctive cocoa and refined barnyard flavours.

In the first third I noted cocoa, refined grass/hay, a little anise or licorice sweetness, spice and plenty of plumes of smoke.

In the middle third the intensity of the cigar lifted a notch in its cocoa and spice. The retrohale was very strong, I must admit that it was a little too spicy through the nose for me. At this point I reflected that this Cohiba 1966 EL was like a Cohiba Siglo VI on steroids.

The ash and construction was impressive throughout. At the end of the middle third and into the final third I was intrigued in regards to how the cigar settled and didn't pick up intensity further.

In conclusion, this Cohiba 1966 EL was medium in strength throughout, was full of flavour and rich on the palate. Even though it's the type of cigar one only pulls out on a special occasion, it was a quality cigar indeed!

• Like 3

727698428_2020-04-2115_53_10.jpg.3c7b934aa73cca69985bcf604071a691.jpg

Cohiba Robustos Supremos 2014 - Edición Limitada ARG Dic 2014

The Cohiba Robustos Supremos 2014 Edicion Limitada was the sixth Limited Edition, coming three years after the release of the excellent Cohiba 1966 Edicion Limitada. It was noted as the biggest ring gauge release in the Habanos catalogue for the time, at 58 ring gauge. I have always used my Credo 3-in-1 punch cutter on cigars like this, I find the largest punch on the cutter, for above 48 ring gauge, is ideal for smoking larger ring gauge cigars and 'sipping' them from the back, so-to-speak.

The cold draw on this cigar contained notes of cocoa, refined grass/hay and baking spice.

The first third had typical Limited Edition flavours: namely cocoa, refined grass/hay and spice. It also had a touch of coffee and honey sweetness. It was full on flavour and rich on the palate, giving of larger plumes of smoke than a normal cigar. It reminded me of a Cohiba Maduro 5 Magicos on 'steroids'.

The middle third saw the cigar settle further, those consistent cocoa, refined grass/hay, spice, slight coffee and honey sweetness remained and the intensity of the cigar didn't really change. The retrohale was quite heavy, very strong through the nose and spicy.

The final third had similar flavours to the middle third, with a pick up in refined baking spice, and the cigar settled even further.

So, despite not being a complex cigar, the flavours of this Cohiba Robustos Supremos continue to satisfy past the five-year mark. I envisage that I'll have a another from this box in the next twelve to twenty-four months to compare notes to this review.

• Like 4

2081584712_2020-04-2312_44_56.jpg.5155a169696eb5ed009d3f6b5b87a631.jpg

Cohiba Robustos MUO May 2014

I surprised myself when I looked at my Cuban Cigar Website inventory and noted that I have had 18 Cohiba Robustos in the last three-and-a-half years. Upon closer inspection, it proved to be closer to 12 as I have given six away to share in that time. Of those 12, in an overall rating system out of five I had given 4 CoRos three marks, 6 CoRos four marks and 2 CoRos five marks. That's an average of 3.83 marks out of 5. How can one describe that average in words? Possibly 'dependable' would suffice.

The interesting note about my Cohiba Robustos consumption in the last few years is that it was across a number of box codes, the box code of today's CoRo has been excluded as they have been sitting in my humidor aging. So, it was a delight to pull one out of my humidor to smoke today.

The flavours from the cold draw were an inviting cedar, baking spice and refined barnyard. The initial flavours of the draw in the first third were exemplary; mocha coffee, buttered cream, honey and spice with plumes of smoke. I was thinking at this point of the cigar, "what else could one want from this cigar?"

In the meantime, I reflected on how Robustos came to be so popular in modern trends. There was once a time when Simon Chase commented in an interview with Nic Wing in 2015 that the Partagas Serie D No.4 sold a total of 5000 boxes in the mid-eighties worldwide. Even up to that point there were only four, yes four Robusto (i.e. 50 ring gauge x 124 mm or 4⅞ inches in length) vitolas available. These were the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2, the Bolivar Royal Coronas, the Partagas Serie D No.4 and the Ramon Allones Specially Selected. The Cohiba Robustos itself wasn't released until 1989. Soon after, the Juan Lopez Seleccion No.2 was released in the early-90s. No, it wasn't until the 2000s that Robustos started to get more popular. In the 1980s and prior they were just thought of as very large ring gauge cigars, an anomaly, if you will.

Today, Cohiba Robustos simply sell. I would say they would be amongst the very highest selling Cohiba vitolas, and I think this can be gleaned from their availability recently when other in-demand Cohiba cigars such as the Behike line and the Cohiba Siglo VI have been in hiatus. In the last decade the Partagas Serie D No.4 has via communal consensus moved past the Montecristo No.4 as the number one selling Habanos cigar in the world today.

As I approached the middle third, the cigar still had those mocha coffee, buttered texture and a touch of spice notes joined by some hints of honey sweetness and lemon citrus too. The retrohale was nice and refined in the middle third too. The construction was spot-on, ash lengths were long and the ridging on the ash was consistent.

Coming into the final third of the cigar, I reflected on the quintessential Habanos cigar in terms of size. In the 1970s and 80s, it was definitely the coronas, a 42 ring gauge x 142 mm vitolas with each marca having one. Today only the Montecristo No.3, Quai d'Orsay Coronas Claro and Romeo y Julieta Cedros de Luxe No.2 are left in regular production. After this the petit corona (or should I say, marevas?) a 42 ring gauge x 129 mm vitola became more prominent, perhaps as result of the popularity of the Montecristo No.4. The trend towards larger ring-gauged cigars with the streamlining of Habanos S.A post-2000 saw 50 ring gauge robustos become more popular. In 2020, I feel we've come near to full-circle with the idea of the quintessential size as the petit robustos, ranging in size from around 4 to 4¾ inches or 102 to 120 mm in length seeing a plethora of releases across all Habanos marcas in the last five to ten years. After all, it was only around fifteen years ago that the Hoyo de Monterrey Petit Robustos (2004) and Montecristo Petit Edmundo (2006) was released to market.

The final third only reinforced the exceptional nature of the cigar throughout the first two-thirds. This was the third Cohiba Robustos to receive an overall rating of five in my Cuban Cigar Inventory. The irony is, I can only see these getting better with a little more age, especially in regards to its buttered texture.

• Like 3

2058690311_2020-04-2412_26_20.jpg.105bbaaefc6bae290b350f71005c2e1e.jpg

Cohiba Double Coronas 2003 - Edición Limitada 2003

The Cohiba Double Coronas was the second Limited Edition cigar to be released in the Cohiba marca after the 2001 Cohiba Piramides. At the time it was released limited edition cigars were not yet priced at a premium price-point as they are now. Additionally, they used to be available for longer than their annual production run. As of 2020, this remains the third and last Double Corona to be released as a Limited Edition cigar, the first two being the Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.2 in 2000 and the Montecristo Double Corona in 2001 (of course the Monte DC didn't actually come out until a year later in 2002).

Similarly for Regional Editions, excepting the special release Punch Sir David Paco (49 ring gauge x 180 mm or 7⅛ inches in length) in 2018, we've only had 5 such releases in Prominentes (or Double Coronas) and Pacos size and the last of these, prior to the Punch Sir David, was in 2010. You'd have to agree, five Regional Edition releases in this size out of 212 in total (at the time of writing) is not much.

It wasn't that long ago that we had a few options in the Double Coronas and Pacos varieties in Habanos regular production but sadly the San Cristobal de la Habana El Morro was discontinued in 2013, the Saint Luis Rey Double Corona exited in 2013/14 and the Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro left us in 2017. The remaining four, the Partagas Lusitanias, Ramon Allones Gigantes, Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona and Punch Double Corona are thankfully still with us, however; I would argue that this Cohiba Double Coronas from 2003 smokes vastly different to those four double coronas.

The cold draw hinted to this possibly of difference when I picked up notes of cocoa, cedar and baking spice. The first third had incredible notes of baking spice, so much so in fact that I considered this cigar amongst the very best Cohibas I've had in the first few puffs, albeit on the condition that this flavour dominated and continued. As I continued to smoke into the first third, I got notes of cocoa and leather in addition to the baking spice. I considered these flavours as I smoked and thought how they weren't flavours necessarily synonymous with Cohiba.

In the middle third the cigar developed and changed. The baking spice wasn't as prominent and at this point I picked up some notes of 'Earthiness'. Again, 'Earthy' flavours aren't something I equate with Cohiba. The cigar was mild to mild-medium and in terms of flavours, it still had a refined quality to it. The cedar notes certainly attested to this fact.

The final third was sufficiently mild to allow me to comfortably retrohale the cigar, it was still refined through the nose and not overwhelmingly spicy.

In summary, this 2003 Cohiba Double Coronas was not as rich and spicy as the Cohiba 1966 and Cohiba Robustos Supremos Limited Editions I've smoked recently. If I were to try to paint a picture of what this smoke liked, perhaps the best way to imagine it is to cross a Cohiba Maduro 5 cigar (due to the maduro-shade wrapper) and an aged Cohiba Esplendidos. Finally, I'd like to thank @Trevor2118 for gifting me this cigar to review and share.

• Like 3

631160524_2020-04-2513_42_07.jpg.fbac45ad4889e94854f0c89666ff6819.jpg

Cohiba Sublimes 2004 - Edición Limitada 2004

The Cohiba Sublimes was a limited edition release that came out in 2004, the year after the Cohiba Double Coronas was released in 2003. When it came out it was noted, for the time, as a large cigar; not for its length like the prominentes Cohiba Double Coronas, but rather for its 54 ring gauge girth x 164 mm (or 6½ inches) length. Perhaps the thinking of Habanos S.A. at the time was to follow in the footsteps of the 2002 Cohiba Siglo VI. When that came to market in 2003 it was a ground-breaker for being the largest ring-gauged regular production cigar and similarly, this was the largest ring-gauged cigar in the Limited Edition series to that point.

The notes for the cold draw was similar to my previous cigar, the Cohiba Double Coronas, with cocoa, cedar and leather flavours, although the cedar was more dominant this time. The initial first third had cocoa, leather, a touch of spice and Earthiness, which aren't flavours I normally equate with this marca.

The word Sublime means 'to render finer in quality' in English. I figure this may be why Habanos S.A has only released this vitola 16 times in the last twenty years, with eleven of these regional editions. Apart from the Cohiba Sublimes in 2004, the 2008 Montecristo Sublimes has been the only other Limited Edition release. There has also been two La Casa del Habanos Exclusive releases; the 2010 La Gloria Cubana Immensos (although since rumoured discontinued in 2014) and the 2013 Bolivar Libertador.

As I drew further down on the cigar, I was amazed how rich this cigar was on my palate. I got a touch of baking spice here and there, but the Earthiness, cedar and leather mixed with the large plumes of smoke belied the age of the cigar, in my view.

In the middle third, the flavours remained consistent with leather and Earthy flavours, however I was again surprised when I retrohaled and picked up more cedar and cocoa and refined baking spice through the nose, but not strong spice. I was more happy to retrohale rather than draw the cigar at this stage, which for me is quite an anomaly.

The construction on this cigar was all class, there were no touch-ups, and the ash-length was consistently long. The cigar continued to be quite vibrant and rich on the palate into the final third.

In summary, this 2004 Cohiba Sublimes was a little richer and more spicy than the 2003 Cohiba Double Coronas but not as much in both qualities as the Cohiba 1966 and Cohiba Robustos Supremos Limited Editions (which I recently smoked). If I were to try to paint a picture of what this smoke liked, perhaps the best way to imagine it is to cross a Cohiba Maduro 5 cigar (due to the maduro-shade wrapper) and an aged Cohiba Siglo VI. Finally, I'd like to thank @Trevor2118 for gifting me this cigar to review and share.

• Like 3

1597730412_2020-04-2911_44_50.jpg.a52b6a5c17ec201a90dfcf78292796da.jpg

Cohiba Medio Siglo TPO Jun 2019

The Cohiba Medio Siglo was released in 2016. It made Cigar Journal's Top 25 cigars that year. This is what they wrote about its release back then:

In celebration of its 50th anniversary, Cuba’s best-known cigar brand, Cohiba, released three cigars: the Cohiba 50 Aniversario, the Cohiba Majestuosos 1966, and the Cohiba Medio Siglo. The latter is the first new vitola to join the Siglo series since 2002. Siglo means “century” in Spanish, and each format in the series, ranging from Siglo I to Siglo VI, represents a century in Cuba’s history. Medio Siglo means “half century,” and the Petit Robusto’s dimensions pay tribute to the Siglo series’ two most popular vitolas: it has the Siglo I’s length and the Siglo VI’s ring gauge. This cigar is Habanos S.A.’s first Petit Robusto, and we think it is a very successful new release indeed!

It's easy to compare this cigar to the Cohiba Robusto, after all, they almost share the same ring gauge, the Medio Siglo is about an inch shorter and yes, it is another Petit Robusto addition to the Habanos regular production catalogue. However, I'd like to theorise that the Cohiba Medio Siglo has more in common with the Cohiba Siglo VI than the Cohiba Robusto. There are a number of reasons for this.

Firstly, as Cigar Journal pointed out in their description referenced above, the Medio Siglo is a 52 ring gauge cigar like the Cohiba Siglo VI. The Cohiba Robustos is a 50 ring gauge cigar. Secondly, when the Cohiba Siglo VI was added to the Linea 1492 range in 2002 it was the biggest cigar in the Habanos regular production catalogue, at the time. Similarly, when the Medio Siglo was added to the Linea 1492 series in 2016 it was the largest ring gauge cigar in the Petit Robusto format for cigars of 4 inches length (102 mm). Thirdly, like the Cohiba Siglo VI, the Medio Siglo shares similar qualities in its rich flavour profile. In my opinion, both the Siglo VI and Medio Siglo are richer in flavours, more fuller-bodied than the other Siglo cigars.

The Cohiba Medio Siglo has the hallmarks of a Linea 1492 cigar in its quality hay and sweet honey notes. What I feel it borrows from the Cohiba Siglo VI is the buttery texture and coffee flavours, albeit in the Medio Siglo the coffee is much darker. This Medio Siglo also had really nice biscuit qualities to complement the coffee flavours.

Make no mistake, I'm more than willing to admit that this is a quality addition to the Cohiba marca, especially since I've spent the last fortnight exclusively smoking Cohiba for a video review series. The plumes of smoke this cigar gave meant that I had to smoke it slowly; it took 75 minutes to smoke in fact!

The Cohiba Medio Siglo does have a buttery texture and coffee notes which relate it to the Cohiba Robusto. However, I'd classify it amongst the richer flavour profiled cigars in the Linea 1492 series, together with the Cohiba Siglo VI.

• Like 3

1703971989_2020-04-2916_27_38.jpg.da3dc79b85d21d2acabeb9238d4222b7.jpg

Trinidad Topes MUP Oct 2019

Trinidad...where does one start with Trinidad? For starters, it's difficult to ascertain when exactly the marca, in its Cuban version, actually began. Adriano Martínez Rius, in Min Ron Nee's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars, mentions that the Trinidad brand was first produced in 1969 at the El Laguito factory in Havana. A 1992 Cigar Aficionado interview with Avelino Lara (formerly the manager of the El Laguito factory) stated that Trinidad was an exclusive brand equal to Cohiba that only Fidel Castro was authorised to hand out as diplomatic gifts. A 1994 Cigar Aficionado interview with Fidel Castro himself denies this statement, he was only aware of the Cohiba Lanceros and Coronas Especiales when discussing diplomatic gifts in that interview.

So how did we get here? At an evening in 1994 dubbed 'the dinner of the century' the first public mentioning (and auctioning) of the Trinidad brand was made known with the introduction of the Trinidad Fundadores. In 1997 the brand was marketed as a premium marca alongside Cohiba and Cuaba (yes, Cuaba). In 2003, the Coloniales, Reyes and Robustos Extra was added. In 2009, the Robustos T was added. In 2012, the Robustos T and Robustos Extra were discontinued in unclear circumstances, to this day. Some say these cigars had poor sales, others espouse the opposite view. Nevertheless, at the start of the 2010s Trinidad was languishing as a marca. In 2014, the Vigia was released and there was talk of a re-branding. That hasn't quite happened but to mark the 50th anniversary of the brand (according to Habanos S.A, as there is scant proof of physical diplomatic examples of Trinidad cigars prior to 1992), the Trinidad Media Luna, Esmeralda and Topes were released.

Which brings us to the Topes. Yes, it was previously released in late 2016 as a Limited Edition in a large 56 ring gauge x 125 mm (or 4⅞ inches) length. And yes, it's not the first time a Limited Edition cigar has been brought back as a regular production cigar (e.g. Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial and H.Upmann Magnum 50). The 2016 version of the Topes was such a great seller and well-reputed amongst aficionados that in my view, it's no surprise that it was released in 2019 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the marca (according to Habanos S.A et al.)

So how did this smoke and how does it compare to the 2016 Limited Edition? Habanos S.A mention on their website that large ring-gauged cigars such as this one leave a rich feel on the palate in contrast to smaller ring-gauged cigars which tend to leave a sharp taste on the tongue and hence don't include ligero leaf. In the case of the Topes, that richness on the palate is self-evident from the first puffs until the last. A Partagas Serie D No.4 Robusto at 50 ring gauge x 124 mm would normally take me 70 minutes to smoke. This 56 ring gauge x 125 mm Trinidad Topes took me 90 minutes and let me tell you, it was rich and classy all the way.

The first puffs had strong elements of spice, coffee and butter. The cigar settled in the first third when it took on elements of butter pastry, some savoury salt and slight gingerbread-type sweetness. In the middle third, the coffee was a little stronger but the butter texture to the cigar dominated until the final third when there was very little spice, but more savoury salt. Along the way, you felt that you were smoking a rich butter croissant and thinking about it now as I type this, I wouldn't hesitate to light one up right now. Indeed, this was all-quality and all-class.

The Trinidad Topes 2016 EL had more cocoa and sweetness to it, but this 2019 version is a worthy successor to that noble cigar. I can't wait to have my next one, even despite the large ring gauge. After all, a quality smoke is a quality smoke.

• Like 3

737581527_2020-05-0313_29_22.jpg.ddf977735c82198a59ad0cf9300ed941.jpg

Cohiba Espléndidos PLM Oct 2006

If I were to ask you what cigar do you think of when you think of Cohiba as a marca, do you think of the Esplendidos? Or possibly the Lanceros? Perhaps the Siglo VI? If you were to think of Hoyo de Monterrey it's easy to picture the Double Corona as its flagship cigar. Similarly, Montecristo has the Montecristo No.2, H.Upmann, the Sir Winston and Romeo y Julieta has the Churchill. But Cohiba? Perhaps consensus on its flagship isn't so easy. You could make valid arguments for the Lanceros, Esplendidos or Siglo VI.

The cold draw on this 2006 Esplendidos had beautiful notes of refined hay, quality cedar and baking spice. In the first third, the richness of flavours on the palate was self-evident, even after 14 years. I got a wonderful complexity of refined hay, milk coffee, cedar, honey and sweet orange citrus, like Cointreau, which I found very pleasant.

In comparison to the Linea 1492 range, that is the Siglo I to VI (and the Medio Siglo), I tend to find the Clasica Linea range more stronger and richer on the palate in flavours in general. So it was no surprise to me how rich this cigar was in the first third, despite the mildness from the age of the cigar. Towards the end of the first third I got some more baking spice to add to the array of flavours I've described already and the retrohale was very easy on the nose, smooth and mild, yet consisting of pleasant milk coffee and Earth flavours.

It's a shame that there aren't more Churchills around in the present day. Twenty years ago, the Habanos catalogue had 13 more in regular production, but the partnership in 2000 with Altidis saw a streamlining in the vitola so that today we are left with the Cohiba Esplendidos, H.Upmann Sir Winston and Romeo y Julieta Churchill (perhaps you could argue for the Montecristo Churchill Anejados being available in the current day, but I'd consider this a special release and whilst it is available, it doesn't carry the same reputable strength as the current three Churchills).

In the middle third, I picked up some more Earthiness with the refined hay and mild coffee, but the honey and sweet citrus remained in the background and the retrohale was again easy on the nose.

In the final third, the cigar continued to exhibit a rich complexity. I loved the soft buttered cream texture of this Esplendidos for its age, something I note in older Esplendidos rather than younger ones, in general.

So, in summary, this Esplendidos had a classy, rich and vibrant complexity despite its very mild strength due to its age. It goes without saying that I very much enjoyed it. Finally, I'd like to again thank @Trevor2118 for gifting me this cigar to review and share.

• Like 3

385641381_2020-05-0511_52_56.jpg.dcd5402da95a21b5979518228dd04118.jpg

Vegas Robaina Famosos AEM May 2015

Vegas Robaina...it's not exactly a marca that would be in your rotation right now, right? Did you know that supplies of the Vegas Robaina Unicos (yes, the piramide) were in hiatus in 2019 and the Famosos was low? Probably not, but if you do manage to smoke a Famosos, Unicos or dare I say, a recently-discontinued 2017 Double Corona Don Alejandro, maybe you might be interested in seeking these out! According to our FoH Forum, recent 2019 Famosos has been smoking very, very well.

This Famosos was very much like the rest of this box thus far, which is to say, simply sensational! At just on five years of age, these are continuing to be in their prime for my tastes. Yet again, the raisin-sweet/licorice and cocoa flavours intermingled with some baking spice around a luscious grass core signified some 75 minutes of pure smoking pleasure.

I can see myself seeking to acquire another 2019 box and soon!

• Like 4

234053522_2020-05-0514_06_56.jpg.81e91789982af11df445c7138fc99500.jpg

Diplomáticos No.2 EML Ago 2014

I've really enjoyed this box in the last year since I've 'cracked' it. In fact, today I have under 40% of the box left, in other words, 9 sticks. What a ride it's been!

This Diplomaticos No.2 was more rounded in capsicum and wood flavours and light on the sourdough. There was also more notes of cloves spice than the last one I had around two months ago. At almost 6 years of age, this was mild and easy to smoke. Again, I wouldn't say it was as flavoursome as other cigars I've had from this box, but that's mainly because, like my last Diplomaticos No.2, it was so light on sourdough, which is very much a distinctive flavour when it comes to this cigar. Nevertheless, I again nubbed this piramide as far as I could take it, again on account of it being so easy to smoke.

What I've found interesting about this box is how some Dip 2's have been toasty, some have been capsicum or bell pepper-laden, others have been paprika spice bombs. I suppose it makes for a heightened anticipation the next time I reach for a cigar from this box. One thing I do know is how consistently good these have been thus far!

• Like 3

203630918_2020-05-0610_54_15.jpg.057e56f88d79e68ff1adee0be176dad6.jpg

Vegas Robaina Famosos AEM May 2015

It's not like me to have to cigars of the same marca and vitola two days in a row, but there was something about this Vegas Robaina Famosos that had me intrigued yesterday. I think it was the change-of-pace luscious grass core combined with some punchy baking spice that really did it for me. There wasn't too much cocoa and any sort of raisin-type sweetness was definitely muted this time, but this smoked well. It was seventy minutes well-spent!

• Like 4

570608800_2020-05-0612_52_50.jpg.995de14c67e2cf29e557f1a388619023.jpg

Trinidad Topes MUP Oct 2019

When you purchase a box of Habanos cigars, how often do you find that the first from the box may be stunning whilst the second is mind-boggling average? Welcome to the world of Cuban cigars!

Yes, indeed the first 2019 Trinidad Topes (I feel I need to point that out to distinguish it from the 2016 Limited Edition) from this box was sensational. This however was just ordinary. The first one had strong elements of spice, coffee and butter pastry. In-between it had some savoury salt and slight gingerbread-type sweetness but it was definitely all-quality and all-class.

This second one from the box was more wood, dark coffee and a little salt. I was amazed how different it was. At least it had that butter texture to it which I am currently simply loving in the recent 2019 Trinidad releases.

Oh well and ho hum...it's off to the drawing board as I forget about this cigar and look forward to the next Trinidad Topes I smoke, probably next week!

• Like 3