JohnS' Cohiba 2020 Video Reviews Series

JohnS

Greetings dear esteemed friends! I've had some requests to do some more reviews from our members so I decided to use the time we've all been jointly afforded lately (due to the Covid-19 pandemic, of course) to pull out some rarer and standard Cohiba cigars from my humidor and share some views on them with you.

I'd like to thank @Trevor2118 for gifting me many of these cigars to smoke (I will also post up detailed text reviews of all these cigars soon). I hope that in sharing these reviews I can adequately express the joy of smoking these cigars and the background to them and I sincerely hope you enjoy them. As usual, feel free to share your thoughts!

1. Cohiba Siglo III – 2006

The Cohiba Siglo III represents a vitola I simply adore, the coronas grandes. At 42 ring gauge x 155 mm (or 6 inches) in length, it's just perfect. How I wish there were more of these cigar vitolas in regular production!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2. Cohiba Siglo IV – 2006

The Cohiba Siglo IV is a corona gorda, a popular size amongst our members, at 46 ring gauge x 143 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length. How does it compare to the similarly-aged Cohiba Siglo III?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3. Cohiba Siglo VI – ARG JUN 15

Since it's addition to the Linea 1492 series in 2002, the Cohiba Siglo VI has gone from strength-to-strength, arguably influencing Habanos releases ever since. What makes this cigar so popular, despite its premium price-point?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• JohnS pinned this topic

5. Cohiba Piramides 2003 Reserva Seleccion – 2003

This cigar comes from the very first Reserva release from 2003. This release is unique in that it included other vitolas; 8 Piramides, 4 Esplendidos, 6 Robustos, 6 Media Coronas (a new vitola for this release at 38 ring gauge x 142 mm or 5⅝ inches in length and including the first inclusion of medio tiempo leaf in its blend) and 6 Coronas Especiales. How does it compare to the regular production Cohiba Piramides Extra?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6. Cohiba Piramides Extra – 2012

The Cohiba Piramides Extra was added to the Linea Clasica series in 2012. Did you know that apart from the 2001 and 2006 Cohiba Piramides Limited Editions there were seven other special Cohiba piramides releases prior to the addition of this cigar to the Cohiba regular production marca? How does this compare to other Cohiba Linea Clasica cigars?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7. Cohiba 1966 Edicion Limitada – 2011

The Cohiba 1966 Limited Edition came out in 2011 to celebrate the 45th anniversary of Cohiba as a marca. How is it faring after 9 years?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8. Cohiba Robustos Supremos Edicion Limitada – ARG DIC 14

The Cohiba Robustos Supremos was released in 2014 and was noted as the largest ring gauge Habanos release at the time (i.e. 58 ring gauge). How is it faring after 5 or 6 years?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9. Cohiba Robustos – MUO MAY 14

The Cohiba Robustos was released in 1989 and since that time has come to represent a staple release within the Cohiba marca. How did it get so popular?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10. Cohiba Double Coronas Edicion Limitada – 2003

Picture an aged Cohiba Esplendidos mixed with a Cohiba Maduro 5 Series cigar (due to the Limited Edition wrapper) and you might come close to imagining what this was like to smoke.

• Like 1

11. Cohiba Sublimes Edicion Limitada – 2004

Sometimes, you think you've smoked them (as in Habanos cigars) all, and then comes along a cigar like this one. It surprised me on a number of levels; firstly, the richness of flavour on the palate, secondly, the notes through the retrohale and finally, the difficulty in comparing this to other Cohiba releases. What was it like? Picture an aged Cohiba Siglo VI (this time) mixed with a Cohiba Maduro 5 Series cigar (due to the Limited Edition wrapper) and you might come close to imagining what this was like to smoke.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2020 at 5:51 PM, JohnS said:

10. Cohiba Double Coronas Edicion Limitada – 2003

Picture an aged Cohiba Esplendidos mixed with a Cohiba Maduro 5 Series cigar (due to the Limited Edition wrapper) and you might come close to imagining what this was like to smoke.

I remember when @jay8354 picked up 2 Cohiba DCs to celebrate his 27th b'day. That was probably one of the top 3 cigars I have ever had. And the company was pretty good too. :P

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I remember when @jay8354 picked up 2 Cohiba DCs to celebrate his 27th b'day. That was probably one of the top 3 cigars I have ever had. And the company was pretty good too. :P

I'll ask you both about that story soon, no doubt. Sounds interesting indeed! ?

1 hour ago, 99call said:

and a sublime review John, always good to hear your thoughts on both the cigar, and HSA decision making/history. Bravo

Thank you, Stefan! ?

14 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I'll ask you both about that story soon, no doubt. Sounds interesting indeed! ?

Thank you, Stefan! ?

Not much story, dude. And I kinda lied. The company was mediocre at best... :lol3:

On 4/25/2020 at 8:14 PM, Fuzz said:

26th Birthday. Company was good but I think you love that night since you drank most of the Single Barrel Wild Turkey and had 2 Coro as well.

23 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Not much story, dude. And I kinda lied. The company was mediocre at best... :lol3:

Hey, I am not that bad for company when I am providing the food, booze and smoke!!! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, jay8354 said:

26th Birthday. Company was good but I think you love that night since you drank most of the Single Barrel Wild Turkey and had 2 Coro as well.

I stand corrected, your 26th b'day. And it was 3 CoRos! :lol3:

12. Cohiba Esplendidos – 2006

If you were to tell someone what the 'flagship' cigar of the Cohiba marca was, would it be the Esplendidos? Or possibly the very first one, the Lanceros? Or how about the Siglo VI? What makes the Esplendidos a very special Churchill-sized cigar?

This is the final video review in this series. I hope you've enjoyed them. I hope to bring some more later in the year in a new Video Review Series, probably when we hit the warmer months in my part of the world!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1