15 hours ago, FireDigger said:

Cowboys got a steal with Lamb who I think is the best WR in the draft.

I read today that the Cowboys didn’t bother  interviewing Lamb because none of their mock drafts had him dropping down to 17th.  Their research indicated he was somewhere in the Top 6 overall for the draft class.

When it came time to make a pick, they knew they had an incredible steal and had to do it.  They even had at least three offers from other teams later in the first round that were offering to switch first round picks plus several picks in later rounds.

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Premature ejaculator

delighted to know you are familiar with that. and thanks for sharing. 

6 hours ago, cmbarton said:

I read today that the Cowboys didn’t bother  interviewing Lamb because none of their mock drafts had him dropping down to 17th.  Their research indicated he was somewhere in the Top 6 overall for the draft class.

When it came time to make a pick, they knew they had an incredible steal and had to do it.  They even had at least three offers from other teams later in the first round that were offering to switch first round picks plus several picks in later rounds.

yes, could have done without that! cowgirls will have a really good receiving group. amazing how some guys just suddenly drop and become steals. 

• Like 1

doesn’t matter what any of your teams do.  My Chiefs just added the best running back in the draft.  A perfect fit for an already prolific offense.  Even if our defense sucks next year we’ll still be putting up 35+ points a game and watch teams playing catch up.  

after waiting for 50 years between Super Bowls, and yes I watched all 50 seasons, the Chiefs have a chance for a real dynasty.  The key is to keep Pat Mahomes healthy.  I want the next 4 rounds to all be big, mean offensive lineman.  

1 hour ago, CigarAsh said:

doesn’t matter what any of your teams do.  My Chiefs just added the best running back in the draft.  A perfect fit for an already prolific offense.  Even if our defense sucks next year we’ll still be putting up 35+ points a game and watch teams playing catch up.  

after waiting for 50 years between Super Bowls, and yes I watched all 50 seasons, the Chiefs have a chance for a real dynasty.  The key is to keep Pat Mahomes healthy.  I want the next 4 rounds to all be big, mean offensive lineman.  

if mahomes stays fit, you guys will be tough but very hard to repeat. not many sides do it. plus every team out there will now be targeting you guys. 

from everything i read, it was a very lean draft for RBs and TEs with almost every mock not having any taken first round. but your guys did not seem to have many holes on offence last year. 

The Vikings always win the draft...

Always have, always will. ??

9 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

The Vikings always win the draft...

Always have, always will. ??

Maybe one day they will win a superbowl ?

Bears need offensive linemen badly so we draft a tight end (I think that makes 12 or so on the roster now) and a cornerback.  I think the Bears have the exact opposite strategy that @CigarAsh said his Chiefs have.  Bears are hoping they can hold every team to 10 points or less and hope our crappy offense can win games with the 13 points they might score....ugh. 

2 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Bears need offensive linemen badly so we draft a tight end (I think that makes 12 or so on the roster now) and a cornerback.  I think the Bears have the exact opposite strategy that @CigarAsh said his Chiefs have.  Bears are hoping they can hold every team to 10 points or less and hope our crappy offense can win games with the 13 points they might score....ugh. 

trade with the skins for williams!! plus we are desperate for a TE. 

14 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

trade with the skins for williams!! plus we are desperate for a TE. 

If only Bears management were that smart.

3 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Maybe one day they will win a superbowl ?

Some of us believe that would signal the reign of the four horsemen of the apocalypse... ?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, barry12321 said:

Chase Young reminds me of another former OSU great named Bobby Carpenter... yes, I am a Cowboys fan, yes I am sour grape. 

carpenter was a bit of a bust, wasn't he? at least in the NFL. i'm hoping young has a hall of fame career. mind you, i hope all our picks have hall of fame careers. 

been an interesting draft. speaking to lots of skins fans, most of us were simply terrified that the new guys would stuff it up and not pick young. thankfully they did. we seem to have got a couple of good WRs, one very quick one (a few years ago, we had no speed - now we have a heap). a potential tackle and then some odds and sods. but we are completely lacking CBs. and TEs. we got randy moss's son as an UFA to play TE. 

as much as i hate saying it (would rather put a rusty fence paling through my eye socket), i think that the girls had a brilliant draft. pick after pick. scary. most skins fans are really hoping that our DL gets to your QB all game because our CBs are not stopping your WRs. problem is you guys have a top OL.

for me, we are still at least a season or two away from where we hope to be. you guys must be raging hot faves in the NFC east. 

I do hope Chase Young does amazing in 14 games per year.  Wish nothing but great things for these young fellas.  I enjoy all the NFC East rivalries.  I feel like these days you basically have to get 2-3 superstars on rookie contracts to have a shot at the Super Bowl (Chiefs), or you have to have Hall of Famers taking pay cuts and have a ruthless management style (Brady and Patriots).  I love the Cowboys but very frustrating to see their window closing so quickly due to salary cap and a coach who couldn't get success out of all that talent.  Looking back at the SB winners the past 10 years, no team had a QB that were near the top in salary at the time, evening Manning took a massive paycut to win with the Broncos.. that's why I don't know about paying Dak Prescott the top 5 QB salary that he wants.  That said, my only experience managing sports teams is playing Madden about 15 years ago. 

1 minute ago, barry12321 said:

I do hope Chase Young does amazing in 14 games per year.  Wish nothing but great things for these young fellas.  I enjoy all the NFC East rivalries.  I feel like these days you basically have to get 2-3 superstars on rookie contracts to have a shot at the Super Bowl (Chiefs), or you have to have Hall of Famers taking pay cuts and have a ruthless management style (Brady and Patriots).  I love the Cowboys but very frustrating to see their window closing so quickly due to salary cap and a coach who couldn't get success out of all that talent.  Looking back at the SB winners the past 10 years, no team had a QB that were near the top in salary at the time, evening Manning took a massive paycut to win with the Broncos.  That said, my only experience managing sports teams is playing Madden about 15 years ago. 

it is a good point. 

yes, i was delighted with the way jason G wasted your talent. long may it continue! tho i suspect the new bloke is a serious step up. 

be interesting to see what happens with dak. personally, i think/hope he should get the biggest contract in history. and then some. 

Ok Ken.  I give us a B+ on the draft overall.  I like them picking up Thaddus Moss as a UDFA at the end.  Even if his foot injury was what killed him in the draft.  And yes, I am a bit puzzled about that Round 3 pick.  They have running backs out their ears.  LOL 

The Williams trade is a little disappointing but I am good with it to get that over with.  Thinking this year is going to be more about team building than anything else. 

• Like 1

The worst is Green Bay. 

Jordan Love a 1st rounder? That's a joke. 

Mahomes/Lamar Jackson/Russell Wilson all had better college football stats, people doubted on them, even

Haskins (biggest bust from last draft) having better stats than Love, that is, you don't select this kind of player on your first pick.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 2:06 AM, Hoepssa said:

The worst is Green Bay. 

Jordan Love a 1st rounder? That's a joke. 

Mahomes/Lamar Jackson/Russell Wilson all had better college football stats, people doubted on them, even

Haskins (biggest bust from last draft) having better stats than Love, that is, you don't select this kind of player on your first pick.

strange one. i suspect the impact it will have on rodgers, brilliant QB but he does seem a bit precious, will be interesting to watch. GB normally drafts well, so surprising.

i'd argue way too early to call haskins a bust. he has only played a few games (i gather he didn't play that much at college either). he was in a team which swapped coaches midway, was endlessly chaotic, had its main pro-bowler on the OL (fairly important for a young QB) refuse to step onto the field, had its TEs in the injury ward, had all but old man AP left at RB, and was throwing to a trio of rookie WRs (i gather the first time a rookie QB has had only rookie WRs in 40 years in the NFL). he was dreadful for his first four games but if you look at the improvement, in a team beaten like the proverbial redheaded stepchild, over the last 3-4, it was impressive. 

i'd also suggest that if the new coaching team did not believe in him then having number 2 pick in the draft, we'd have gone tua or herbert. i think we'll know a lot more in a year. either he'll have measured up or the skins will be in a position to draft a good QB. 

On 4/27/2020 at 12:11 AM, anacostiakat said:

Ok Ken.  I give us a B+ on the draft overall.  I like them picking up Thaddus Moss as a UDFA at the end.  Even if his foot injury was what killed him in the draft.  And yes, I am a bit puzzled about that Round 3 pick.  They have running backs out their ears.  LOL 

The Williams trade is a little disappointing but I am good with it to get that over with.  Thinking this year is going to be more about team building than anything else. 

been really interesting to follow the reaction to our draft from the alleged experts and also the fans (the burgundyandgoldnation.com is a terrific forum - only one i am on other than FOH - you might even have put me on to it). i saw one expert gave us an A minus for our day one pick and 16 teams, an A. we get the guy who is supposedly the player of the generation etc etc and 16 teams do better? some of these idiots should not be paid. 

i think people are underrating our draft because picking chase young was an absolute no-brainer. does not mean it is not a potential franchise-changing pick (or may turn out to be a dud - who knows, though he is generally regarded as something very special). 

the third round is a bit curious though a lot of the guys on the skins forum who have watched the kid are really excited. he is seriously quick, which never hurts. i think it makes more sense when you consider the coach and new OC are both from carolina and had a player called mccaffrey who is very similar (undoubtedly better but similar). so they will be familiar with that style of player and know how to use him. the other WR surprised me. how many young WRs do you need (plus another two undrafted??) and this one is apparently not very quick. but i gather he is big and strong with excellent hands so could have a role. 

charles is a really good pick for the future (perhaps sooner but we'd be lucky). the others i don't really know much.

for me the problem was not who we got, it is that we did not address CB or do much for safety. getting nervous for that. moss for a TE will be interesting but you don't grab a guy after the draft as an UFA in the expectation he starts. 

we have a DL which could even top the 49ers, some terrific WRs but very young and inexperienced ones. some talent elsewhere but still some holes. but this was always a rebuild year. you can't fix a cesspool like the skins in one draft. this won't be a year where we challenge for much - could be surprised - but it should be the start of something exciting for a year or two's time.

i think, and i hate saying this - dallas drafted very well. for me, they are the hot faves to win our division.

one last thing - someone dug out some texts chase young sent (the sort of thing that can be very dangerous) seven or eight years ago. they basically say how much he hates the cowboys. now he is a skin. what is not to love!! 

Yea I agree about the D-backs.  Will have to see if they are able to do anything in FA.  The fact that the D-line should be so good will help the D-backs if they can hurry the QB's.  With Del Rio's style that is what I am expecting.

Jim

Tristan Wirfs (University of Iowa) was predicted to go as high as #4 in the draft but ended up at #13.  He carried an interesting story.  He was raised by a single mother in Mt. Vernon, Iowa which is only about 20 miles from the university, in a household that included his sister and grandmother.  He grew into an offensive tackle with size and incredible skills.  Tristan would have been a junior this year if he returned to school.

And should you like basketball, the U of Iowa has another player by the name of Luka Garza who was a first team, All American this past season and it looks like he may return for his final season?

On 4/23/2020 at 8:47 PM, Ken Gargett said:

we are three picks in and pretty much nothing unexpected.

thankfully the skins took chase young. woohoo!! the three people least happy about that would be dak, wentz and jones. 

let us know if you are happy with your team's pick.

As a Giants fan, I've pretty much given up. If anything good happens in NY (NJ actually ?), I'll wake up.