Storage Temps

NickV

Hey Guys,

I just finished seasoning a new humidor and was curious as to what humidity you store your cigars?

I have seen mixed reviews between 60-75. Is it different for Cubans vs non-Cubans? Or for long term aging vs just smoking in the next few weeks or months? 

Or is it just a matter of preference? If so what’s the difference in burn between the higher range vs the lower ranges?

thanks guys and look forward to your feedback. 

• Like 1

First, 69 deg max. Beetle eggs hatch at 70 deg. It's also more difficult to regulate rH at higher temps. Anyone recommending any temp or rH at or near 70 knows nothing. The 70/70 rule was dispelled in the 90s.

Consensus in the last 20 years has typically been temps well below 65 deg

So my new humidor is holding humidity around 60-63% with about 5 boveda 72 packs in. It’s a glass top 100 cigar humidor. Temp is around 70. Not sure if I should pull the cigars and reseason or just let it be since I wanted a lower rh anyway. Thoughts?

i seasoned by whiping with a damp sponge twice over a 48 hour period and letting it sit with the packs inside and some distilled water in a shot glass. Was holding 73 when I put cigars in. Right now about 25 sticks in. Mostly premium NCs along with a RJ 1, Monte Open Regal, and a Cohiba siglo long skinny one. Have about 70 cc on the way and was going to move the nc to my smaller 50 size humi and leave only cc in the one above. 

On 4/29/2020 at 7:18 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

First, 69 deg max. Beetle eggs hatch at 70 deg. It's also more difficult to regulate rH at higher temps. Anyone recommending any temp or rH at or near 70 knows nothing. The 70/70 rule was dispelled in the 90s.

Hi .. this is surprising. I’ve always heard that beetles won’t hatch until temps reach about 80f over a period of a couple of days. Other than a temp controlled humidor, 65-69f deg can be rather difficult to maintain. I have kept my cigars at about 64-65% rH for several years and have had temps fluctuate between about 67-74f depending on the time of year and the house temp. Can you elaborate on your research and/or experience?  Thanks. 

On 4/30/2020 at 11:18 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

4 hours ago, Shelby07 said:

Hi .. this is surprising. I’ve always heard that beetles won’t hatch until temps reach about 80f over a period of a couple of days. Other than a temp controlled humidor, 65-69f deg can be rather difficult to maintain. I have kept my cigars at about 64-65% rH for several years and have had temps fluctuate between about 67-74f depending on the time of year and the house temp. Can you elaborate on your research and/or experience?  Thanks. 

Not sure where you guys are getting your info, but in the scientific study linked below, beetles were hatched as low as 18 C (64.4 F) at 75% rH. The study concludes that storage temps below 18 C are ideal to negate all beetle activity. Interesting enough, Habanos recommends keeping their cigars between 16-18 C.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/249887786_Low-temperature_as_an_alternative_to_fumigation_to_disinfest_stored_tobacco_of_the_cigarette_beetle_Lasioderma_serricorne_F_Coleoptera_Anobiidae

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sho671 said:

Not sure where you guys are getting your info, but in the scientific study linked below, beetles were hatched as low as 18 C (64.4 F) at 75% rH. The study concludes that storage temps below 18 C are ideal to negate all beetle activity. Interesting enough, Habanos recommends keeping their cigars between 16-18 C.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/249887786_Low-temperature_as_an_alternative_to_fumigation_to_disinfest_stored_tobacco_of_the_cigarette_beetle_Lasioderma_serricorne_F_Coleoptera_Anobiidae

This is the first scientific study I'm aware of that isolates the precise temp that prevents hatching. The 70 F number has been stated for decades by numerous well-known sources. In fact, CA's David Savona stated a max temp of 72 F going all the way back to 2000: https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/fighting-tobacco-beetles-1246

Among many others. Stating a 70 F max would certainly not have been without basis. But great info from the study above. I'll be using that number going forward.

How are people supposed to keep a sub 70 degree temp consistenty, outside of a coolidor? At least in Louisiana, where I live, ill be lucky to have 70 degrees inside.

I am holding at 61 rh and ranging from 65-72 degrees. Can’t control temp too much as the wife argues when I keep it too cold. Should I try to get RH up or just ride with it at 61?