the 'NUB' -- clip, poke, or pinch?... What's your favorite way to nub??

10 hours ago, IanMcLean68 said:

Thanks for the tip! My usual method is to hold the cigar with the very tip of my fingers and keep smoking until I burn my fingers and possibly get a blister. Then, I voice an expletive and drop the cigar.

Yes, your method is the correct one except for the tiny detail of when dropped, it must be dropped into your lap followed by jump-jump, pat-pat,  #$@%!   #$@%! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I pinch and do the same thing using the wrapper.

Let’s be honest; I’m not gonna have a proper tool to use and will otherwise try to make use of an acorn, blades of grass, a water spigot, a feral cat or any other useless item in my line of sight. ? 

I actually use a stingray barb.  It has serrations so it holds the nub securely.  It's also not bad as a draw tool.  It's fairly flat, and the serrations act similarly to a perfect draw.  I'm sure it isn't nearly as efficient, but it has worked well for me.  The main drawback is that it tapers so you can't insert it nearly as far as you can a regular draw tool.  

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 11:32 PM, Islandboy said:

This is me, most evenings, with my Perfectdraw tool. Rarely used for anything else, but perfect for the nightly nub. 
EA7227CE-E4A1-4FF2-8334-C441DDED91DD.thumb.jpeg.17f25182c62a69ec1ee9cd528bcd1b79.jpeg

The nightly nub? Man, you must be smoking really great cigars! ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MigsG said:

The nightly nub? Man, you must be smoking really great cigars! ?

Considering the source of most of my collection, I am. ?

Duds show up occasionally, but life’s too short to soldier through a bad cigar. They get replaced quickly. 

• Like 4

On 5/9/2020 at 7:06 PM, Smalls said:

I actually use a stingray barb.  It has serrations so it holds the nub securely.  It's also not bad as a draw tool.  It's fairly flat, and the serrations act similarly to a perfect draw.  I'm sure it isn't nearly as efficient, but it has worked well for me.  The main drawback is that it tapers so you can't insert it nearly as far as you can a regular draw tool.  

totally bad@ss ?

Could do with a tool of some sort have had a few of these of late. happy nubbing one and all 

1CF92E7C-E06B-4C34-AC72-E2B0DAA59D9B.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve been using something new lately. It’s a miniature pair of vise grips that I bought as part of a set from Harbor Freight Tools several years ago, There’s a screw adjustment that I can set perfectly to hold the cigar without overly squeezing it. It’s about 4 inches long overall, so isn’t too bulky to use. But there’s enough metal in it to absorb heat so your lips don’t get scorched as the cigar burns to the end.

• Like 1

Some of you guys aren't nubbing your cigars, you're roaching them.  If I can't hold on to it anymore, I'm either done or it's time to fire up a new one.  Is there really enough good flavor in any cigar to worry about getting into that last 1/2 inch?

Another big fan of the PerfecDraw, though I’m needing it less since bringing down RH on my cigars. I don’t use it as a nubber very often.

I rarely smoke a cigar past the band. I find the flavors get too washed out at that point. A friend of mine, however, will smoke it down to the shoulder if it stays lit. He just holds it in between the blades of a cheap guillotine cutter. Seems to work well for his purposes.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk