What were you doing in 1978? Du Roi

44 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

What were you doing in 1978?

I was busy moving house, changing schools in April and helping my parents spell my sister's name (Anne) in English in October that year when she was born. I was six. Good to know my fastidious nature was intact even back then!

Oh by the way, yeah...I think the cigars look amazing too! ??

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was a geeky senior in high school deciding which university to attend. Thankfully I had Playboy magazine to help me decide. CU Boulder was the winner.  Only cigars I had back then were Swisher or White Owl. Thankfully I’ve been able to upgrade. ?

• Like 1

I was sitting on my grandfather’s back porch, smoking a Dutch Masters (Petit Corona?) He liked a smidge of brandy with his, while I always like my bottle of German bier... ???

6 minutes ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

Love seeing cigars the same age as me! 

Didn't realize you were so young! I had just graduated high school...

• Like 1

I was a senior at Lahainaluna High School on Maui....I was smoking back then, but they weren’t cigars :P

• Like 2

I was born in February 1979 so likely I was being rolled right around the same time as those were. 

Was thinking about making a run at those on the auction partly for that reason! 

• Haha 1

9 years old playing with Lego and electric trains. Oh and starting to discover Heavy Metal music thanks to my older brother. Judas Priest, UFO, Scorpions, etc.  

• Like 2

There's a post on these from BondRoberts social media.

Here's the blurb.

"

1978 Le Hoyo du Roi

A classic Corona from the “Le Hoyo” series.
Discontinued in 2009.

There aren’t many Cuban Coronas (42 X 142) left. From maybe 20 vitolas or more, 20 years ago. There are only 3 now in regular production

The Montecristo No. 3
Quai d’Orsay Coronas Claro and
Romeo y Julieta Cedros deluxe

I can remember having a conversation with Simon Chase on the patio of Havana’s Hotel Nacional in about 2014. He was lamenting the loss of the standard corona, even then there were more of them still around, the Bolivar Tubos No. 1 was still being produced then.

This box of du Roi is from 1978. Although there are not many marking features on this box, a measurement of the “Hecho en Cuba” oval stamp (58 mm wide) on the bottom dates this box to between 1978 and 1980. Packaging could hardly come more “plain” than these boxes, but there is beauty in their simplicity.

If you look at the image of the corner of the box where you can see the edge of the wooden lid, you can see that the wood was solid Spanish Cedar back then, unlike the 3-ply Okoume that has been used more recently.

We have tried many aged cigars from the Le Hoyo series over the years, du Prince, des Dieux etc. Classic cigars when aged well.

This box has not left the cigar keep at JJ Fox Dublin since they arrived in 1978. They are listed right now on www.BondRoberts.com

"

• Like 3

Just about this time in May in '78 I was in the thick of  sophomore final exams in NY State and getting ready to drive cross country to spend the summer in Huntington  Beach California.

That was a summer.

• Like 2

12 years old and discovering this strange and exciting music called Punk Rock and all its little offshoots. Officially gave up on mainstream pop for life and more widely realised that following the crowd wasn't for me. I still listen to albums from 1978...

Sent from 47171 Lempo 

• Like 3