Banged up. Exercise is so bad for your health.

So I had a plan. Get a bike. Ride the 30 mins to work. Sounded great. I bought a bike a week ago. ive been doing some practise rides to see different ways to get to the office. 

on Thursday I was riding and crossing at a pedestrian crossing and car ran into me. Hit the cars bonnet. Then landed on the road in front of the car. And the car just kept going and went straight over me. I went under the car. Got dragged about 10m and came out the back. 3 vertebrae fractured and 3 ribs. Back brace for a few months. Can walk around and sit and stuff so not too bad. Considering what happened it’s pretty miraculous really. Only got a whole heap road rash type scrapes over lots of my body. A big one on my whole cheek. Allah was definitely looking out for me. Getting better by the day. Today I rolled to my side and could get up out of bed all by myself. It’s the small wins ? might get discharged from hospital today. 

I tell ya what. When you roll into the trauma emergency bay at Alfred hospital in Melbourne it’s craaaaazy. You go in your strapped to a bed neck brace on so all you can see is the ceiling. There’s about 30 doctors swarming around you and taking X-rays and putting needles in and poking and shining lights a cutting clothes off. They were shocked they couldn’t find anything all too wrong considering what had happened. Top respect to those emergency response people! 

So rob. Ease up. Reconsider the skipping rope. You never know what you’ll do to yourself ?

01F7D853-38CA-4692-B0AA-924D8CBEAD54.jpeg.ef5e4ce2ee0072b9d9723770e01f9072.jpeg.96fdfc33abe5998c5b82d10414bb2c6c.jpeg1A9320F2-AA29-4947-8EEA-44610D87248C.jpeg.8be58d1c727a9c66bae0b17731b04211.jpeg.79891e73afc373bf0a2b6e01c38defb9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

Ouch!! That does not look like much fun! But it sounds like the outcome could have been much worse. This is exactly why I got rid of my road bike years ago, and only ride my mountain bike. I’ll take my chances with hitting a stationary tree (been there, done that) over getting run over by a crazy driver any day. Here’s hoping for a speedy recovery! 

Hang in there and get better! I have. A sweet road bike that I don't ride anymore because there are too many distracted drivers out there. Be careful! It sucks because I run more now and my body takes a much bigger beating from the pounding. 

mus, very glad to hear you are on the mend. i hope they got the bastard. sue the crap out of him. if you need a referral to lawyers, let me know. 

could not agree more about the exercise. isolation, been two sessions a day on the exercise bike so gave up the stretching. back is now a rotting cesspit of agony (i'll have more to say on sods who come around and do little dances of glee in front of you to show their back is fine - no names, of course, but i am looking at you, whipcrack, and i have a suitable punishment in mind). 

still, probably not nearly as bad as your experience (watching whipcrack dance does go close, though). 

Mus you nutter, road biking seems more dangerous than fire juggling these days, roads are just too busy and full of people in their own bubble.

Relieved to hear you managed to come out of it in one piece, seeing you stood up in the pic after all that is incredible. You been buying any extra lottery tickets? 

Here's to a swift recovery and it all going as planned. Now you just need to find out what you've been saved to do, you weren't on the verge of any massive humanity progressing breakthrough in your spare time were you?

Just glad you're mostly alright, sending you best wishes :thumbsup:

You have done a right number on yourself!!!

Allah be praised indeed! You are one lucky bastard coming out of that without a permanent impairment.

When you eventually get home...check the wifes car ;)

Give me a call in the coming days when you are up to it. 

You are one tough bastard.Would take far more than this to stop you. We spoke yesterday , you will be back in the saddle before you know it . Hugs to Reema . Tonnes of love to you bro. 

Glad to hear you survived this ordeal. Man of steel!

Recover well mate..

Been riding road bikes for almost 40 years and every rider will have their crash or several. 

Time to play the lottery since divine intervention was on your side! 

I hope this does not snake bite you from riding again.

Look Mus, I know the last month or so staying home sucks (then again, you have been pants free since early March), but this is taking things a little too far just to get out of the house! :P

Hope you have a quick recovery, mate! Will chat to you later on WhatsApp.

Wow, best wishes for speedy recovery.

Thanks for all the wishes folks. Today I got some unfortunately horrifying news. 

I am going to be permanently 2 cm shorter!!!!! ??????? 

Now that I’m slowly coming to terms with now being 159cm tall, I’m on the up ?? 

Getting out of bed by myself. Showering by myself, and wiping my own ass. The road rash is starting to peel off and the new skin underneath so I’ll be back to my beautiful face soon enough, that’s what my mum says anyway ?... note not my wife... I will inspect car when we get home as advised. 

They might discharge me today. The last thing my blood has high CK. Basically something that signifies significant muscle damage. It’s not super high or anything. Just elevated. They don’t understand because I don’t actually have any real muscle damage. Not even any bruising. So their giving me some IV fluids and will monitor with more blood tests and when it’s down they’ll let me go. 

• Like 1

You lucky mofo to have survived that. During Ramadan too. Blessings be upon you.

Now your Al Pacinos height .. well just watch Scarface

Man I hope you don't have any problems later on.

For now smoke on! What a tale...

• Like 1