Recommended Posts

Lately I have been rolling my own cigars and whenever I smoke them there is a very strong pepper burn over my tongue. It's so strong I don't think this is intentional because I cannot see anybody enjoying this even those who like a lot of pepper. The blend is supposed to be medium and I've tried a couple different kits with different strains of tobacco but the powerful pepper burn is prominent in each. Does this mean there is too much moisture in my cigars? I put them in my humidor for about a week and a half but I'm thinking maybe that wasn't long enough but since im new to this I really don't know what to think.

Any insight from other cigar rollers would be very appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

*Are you using pipe tobacco, by chance??

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I saw this title and thought maybe they were putting the wrong end in their mouth...

does that make a difference? both ends of my cigar are open but so are some of the cigars i buy like the villiger brasil exports are also uncapped and open on both ends

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, doctirderp said:

does that make a difference? both ends of my cigar are open but so are some of the cigars i buy like the villiger brasil exports are also uncapped and open on both ends

He meant the lit end.   LOL

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Blending is as much of an art as rolling.

i am using kits that come with an assortment that make up a predetermined blend

On 5/10/2020 at 10:14 AM, SigmundChurchill said:

He meant the lit end.   LOL

haha it almost feels like it sometimes

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

  Do you mean tongue burn/bite from smoking too hot? Or actual too much pepper burning like a flavour?

i smoke it slow because i know getting it too hot will make it peppery but i also dont think its the flavor because all the kits i get have this component so i feel like it might be a moisture thing as you need the leaves very moist when rolling

22 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Maybe you need to age your freshies emoji6.png

you might be right

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the ligero identifiable in your kit? Have you tried trimming out some of it or skipping it altogether?

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Jeanff said:

Is the ligero identifiable in your kit? Have you tried trimming out some of it or skipping it altogether?

i thought it might be that and in the ones i omitted the prominent burn is still there

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, doctirderp said:

i smoke it slow because i know getting it too hot will make it peppery but i also dont think its the flavor because all the kits i get have this component so i feel like it might be a moisture thing as you need the leaves very moist when rolling

  The first thing which sprung to mind was if the cigars are rolled too loose, like a pipe, you'll get tongue bite. I've you're new to rolling it could be it, but you might have been rolling for 30 years for all I know! :D

  If it's NC it might just be the blend though, I remember a Quesada a few years back that literally burnt my lips, it was like I had been rubbing a chilli on them.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

  The first thing which sprung to mind was if the cigars are rolled too loose, like a pipe, you'll get tongue bite. I've you're new to rolling it could be it, but you might have been rolling for 30 years for all I know! :D

  If it's NC it might just be the blend though, I remember a Quesada a few years back that literally burnt my lips, it was like I had been rubbing a chilli on them.

i thought it might be the roll too but oddly enough last night i smoked one that was admittedly too tight and the sensation was still prominent. im not sure what it could be. might be the blend because its so hard to find information on the flavor notes of each strain of tobacco. i can list what im using, note that when it comes to ligaro that i use a very small amount and sometimes i remove it completely because i thought that might have been causing this

blend 1
---------------

rosado wrapper
dominican binder
dominican seco
paraguay flojoviso
nicaraguan ligero ( very light and even sometimes omitted)

--------------
blend 2
-------------
medium ct broadleaf for both binder and wrapper
aged dominican ligero (again, light to none at all)
aged nicaraguan seco

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  Probably points to the leaf used, I know both tight and loose draw can give you tongue bite fairly easily, but like you said if you've only been supplied with vague notes then I suppose you could be getting anything, or something not even listed. I'm not too knowledgeable on NC tobacco but I have had that burn from them on occasion, be it a characteristic of the strain or a by product of the process they use; I'm not sure which.

  You can smoke each of the different leaves singularly as a type of cigarillo to give a rough idea of what they each bring to the table, that could be an option, even if only as a fun fact gathering session. Just keep them tight and the draw slow ala a panetela 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve rolled my own cigars before. They probably just need to rest longer. I don’t know your method but by the time I make the wrapper nice and pliable, it’s very wet. I dry box for at least a week, then put in the humidor to rest for a while. They might just be too wet when you smoke them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

  Probably points to the leaf used, I know both tight and loose draw can give you tongue bite fairly easily, but like you said if you've only been supplied with vague notes then I suppose you could be getting anything, or something not even listed. I'm not too knowledgeable on NC tobacco but I have had that burn from them on occasion, be it a characteristic of the strain or a by product of the process they use; I'm not sure which.

  You can smoke each of the different leaves singularly as a type of cigarillo to give a rough idea of what they each bring to the table, that could be an option, even if only as a fun fact gathering session. Just keep them tight and the draw slow ala a panetela 

my next order of tobacco is coming next week im going to take that advice and just roll a leaf up and smoke it as is like a cigarette just to get the taste before i moisturize them to roll into actual cigars

3 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

I’ve rolled my own cigars before. They probably just need to rest longer. I don’t know your method but by the time I make the wrapper nice and pliable, it’s very wet. I dry box for at least a week, then put in the humidor to rest for a while. They might just be too wet when you smoke them. 

a week huh..yes that might be the case then because i let them rest for at most 2 full days outside the humidor and then since then they have been in it for around 2 weeks. i probably need to let them get some air outside 

Link to post
Share on other sites

if anybody is interested in knowing the conclusion to this i found out what the problem was. i rolled the same blend of cigar with a seco leaf and the prominent burn was gone. it seems the strong pepper burn was on the wrapper which is odd because i thought connecticut wrappers were supposed to be quite mild to medium however they did contain very large veins which might have contributed to it. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  You can only go so far with what should happen on paper, your taste buds are your own and sometimes they just don't match up with how things should taste. It sounds like it's been a good little test overall though, you need to post up some pics of your sticks though!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 6:29 PM, doctirderp said:

if anybody is interested in knowing the conclusion to this i found out what the problem was. i rolled the same blend of cigar with a seco leaf and the prominent burn was gone. it seems the strong pepper burn was on the wrapper which is odd because i thought connecticut wrappers were supposed to be quite mild to medium however they did contain very large veins which might have contributed to it. 

Connecticut Broadleaf? Connecticut Broadleaf is one of the more full bodied wrappers.

Additionally, and I'm late to the discussion here, the majority of overwhelming harshness or pepper comes from tobacco that is under fermented. Since we're talking about Broadleaf, a tobacco that is quite thick and requires more time to ferment properly, it's very possible the tobacco was under fermented to keep the costs down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

From my personal experience I have never encountered "tongue bite" from a cigar like I have a pipe.  The closest I guess is from very short cigars like Upmann half coronas with more open draws that can't restrict the heat coming from the close proximity of the cherry.  More due to the heat than actual flavor characteristics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.