Fine dining and cigars

I really like smoking while eating. A plate of cold cuts and cheese, some crusty bread and salad. Moving into something sweet. Nibbling a slow meal over the course of a cigar: fantastic. This is often my evening treat when I’m working abroad (remember that?).

But cigars are not a sensible accompaniment to ‘fine dining’ in the sense of really precise and complex cooking. Not least because this requires a professional kitchen, and therefore a restaurant full of other people!

7 hours ago, Londonguy said:

...We inhale food in the US.  Part of the secret of enjoying this type of experience is to slow down.  I now do an annual grill with some local aficionados.  Ribeyes and cabernet, with Bolivars or Ramon Allones Gigantes, etc. We’ll usually do a pre-dinner Trinidad and a scotch as a warm up.  Mix it up. Have fun. Enjoy the journey!

Do you ever go the Angus Barn.  You can eat and smoke cigars at the same time.  They also have a world class wine list with many below retail prices on bottles.

3 hours ago, Meklown said:

That sounds absolutely fantastic. I think your point on slowing it down absolutely nails it. I also frequently enjoy dinners starting at 6pm (aperitifs & starters), slow and small amounts of food right through 10pm, and the drinks continue to flow past midnight. Mind you, my definition of fine dining also includes 20 different cuts of meat one by one slowly cooked to perfection.

You dining at a Churrascaria?

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

You dining at a Churrascaria?

These type places are amazing.  Certainly some "gimmicky" ones out there but a good one is worth its weight in gold. 

6 minutes ago, StogieSteve23 said:

These type places are amazing.  Certainly some "gimmicky" ones out there but a good one is worth its weight in gold. 

I live in a big Brazilian community and they're all over town.  Love them!  Most are buffet lines by the pound which is fine.  They're currently open for take out, but it's sad walking the line and seeing a diminished selection and draconian protocols for service.

• Like 1

Just now, BrightonCorgi said:

I live in a big Brazilian community and they're all over town.  Love them!  Most are buffet lines by the pound which is fine.  They're currently open for take out, but it's sad walking the line and seeing a diminished selection and draconian protocols for service.

I'm sure that can be a bit disheartening. We've had a few down here around the area that have come and gone over the years but I'll never remember my first experience at one in NYC many years ago.  A truly fun experience all around!