How do you keep your cigars humidified??

How do you keep your cigars humidified??   

170 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been using floral foam bricks (that I cut in 1 inch thick pieces) for years in my tupperdors and it works great. My basement is consistently around 40-45% rh. 

I keep my cigars at approx 17-18C & approx 60% rh. No complaints.

• Like 1

It looks like general consensus for tupperdore is 62Rh and wineador is 65 Rh. I wonder why?

Could be tupperdore is air tight so less loss off humidity through air exchange like in a wineador.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Vigilant cabinet humidor (Reliance 1500 Traditional) with set and forget system, and some Boveda 65’s in the top drawer to act as a buffer. They neither swell nor shrink so I know I’m dialed in just right. Works great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prshah25 said:

It looks like general consensus for tupperdore is 62Rh and wineador is 65 Rh. I wonder why?

Tupperdors are where my sticks are ready to smoke - 62RH

Coolers & Winedors for long term aging - 65RH

That's for me....

• Like 3

I have an oasis magna (2?) in my end table humidor. Curiously, it just started acting up, so I bought the aristocrat set and forget system. Of course, once it arrived, the oasis started acting normal again. Doh! I like active humidification. Depending on season, I can go a month or more with 0 maintenance and very consistent humidity. One key for me was to get a larger size/reservoir than I really need. Downside is it takes up more space but I don't want to fiddle with beads or bovedas much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

I use Bovedas and nothing. Yes, NOTHING!!! Let me explain further...

1. Bovedas are for my tuppedors. Most have 60 gram 62 RH packs, some have 65 RH packs. These tend to have 50 to 100 sticks in each. I live in a well-insulated house and the cigars are kept in the dark.
  2. Sydney, Australia (where I live) has a mild climate. Ambient humidity, on average, is around 51 in winter and 65 in Summer. My Bovedas are still supple after 3 or 4 years. I have cigars in their original boxes in ziploc bags with NOTHING. Yes, the cigars that come out of these boxes are fine. They are stored this way for months at a time (perhaps longer). There is no issue when it comes to smoking. The cigars are like they were when they left FOH headquarters.

Interesting, I use a mix of boveda 65 and heartfelt beads in my wineador and coolers but now I'm running out of space I've put boxes in ziploc with a boveda pack inside.

Can't take the risk for me to leave them empty.  Hong Kong is pretty humid but still not sure if I want to leave them bare.....

2 hours ago, KavalanWhisky said:

Interesting, I use a mix of boveda 65 and heartfelt beads in my wineador and coolers but now I'm running out of space I've put boxes in ziploc with a boveda pack inside.

Can't take the risk for me to leave them empty.  Hong Kong is pretty humid but still not sure if I want to leave them bare.....

Hong Kong is too humid such that I'm having trouble keeping my cigars dry enough. 

For boxes intended for long term storage, I take out 1-2 sticks and put a 62 boveda inside the box. Then I wrap it tightly with thick plastic wrap. 

For other sticks, I store them in desktop humidors (with 62 boveda) or electronic humidor (electronically controlled). 

I even emailed boveda to ask them what is the maximum capacity of a pack - and they replied that it's impossible to tell. I just take the ones that are bloated and I put them in the fridge. Once they get less bloated, they go back to work! 

• Like 1

An active humidification unit that I made. It's based on what I have seen in PigFish's videos and on the Aristocrat website. I have it in a 120 bottle cabinet with the cooling unit removed. The temp in the room stays at about 65F year round, very stable, so no need for cooling.

I had a bunch of parts laying around (controllers, sensors, fans...) and figured I could make one of those, it works very well.         

Before the humidor build, it was beads in a 150 qt. cooler, worked well enough, but was running out of space and didn't look very good where it was.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Meklown said:

Hong Kong is too humid such that I'm having trouble keeping my cigars dry enough. 

For boxes intended for long term storage, I take out 1-2 sticks and put a 62 boveda inside the box. Then I wrap it tightly with thick plastic wrap. 

For other sticks, I store them in desktop humidors (with 62 boveda) or electronic humidor (electronically controlled). 

I even emailed boveda to ask them what is the maximum capacity of a pack - and they replied that it's impossible to tell. I just take the ones that are bloated and I put them in the fridge. Once they get less bloated, they go back to work! 

Interesting, I use a 62 for my travel humidor as a mini dry box, I never seem to have that much issue with my cigars being too wet but I do find sometimes when its super humid outside my cigars have burn issues after the first 45mins of smoking....

Where do you normally smoke in HK?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KavalanWhisky said:

when its super humid outside my cigars have burn issues after the first 45mins of smoking....

+1 on this! I totally feel you on this one.

1 hour ago, KavalanWhisky said:

Where do you normally smoke in HK?

All over the place really, normally either at home or a few bars with outdoor areas. However, in the past few weeks, restaurants closer to where I stay - TaiKoo Fong, Tai Hang, Causeway Bay. Absolutely milking the last of the tolerable weather these past 2 nights. I've not been to Central for a few months now... 

9 minutes ago, Meklown said:

+1 on this! I totally feel you on this one.

All over the place really, normally either at home or a few bars with outdoor areas. However, in the past few weeks, restaurants closer to where I stay - TaiKoo Fong, Tai Hang, Causeway Bay. Absolutely milking the last of the tolerable weather these past 2 nights. I've not been to Central for a few months now... 

That's why our paths have not crossed as I normally smoke in Central around IFC and home on the balcony but the weather has got pretty hot so will have to start visiting the lounges again for that AC.

Using two tupperdors with Boveda 65% 60g and 320g so far. Small tupperdor Mobile Fortress for carrying singles (can add 898, 25ct box except SLB) and large tupperdor Habanador for box and custom rolls (mega herf and cuba trip). Will add Coolidor for bulk box storage.

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mtapia3 said:

Did you stop using the set and forget system? 

I am still using it, just replaced the wick and water with beads and water.  The fan comes on as it would and it still needs water now and then.  I am on the fence whether I like them more than the wick and water.  The set and forget hydrometer is a touch off.  I put three different hydrometers inside to really gauge what was what.  I fell comfortable now that the beads are holding 65% RH.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I build the best climate controlled humidor on the planet (debatably). I use an active system that hydrates when dry and dehydrated when wet. It cools when hot and heats when cool. My cigars live better than I do, and I live alright...

I hated fussing over cigars. It drove me nuts. I tried buying a solution and was not happy with the results. An Aristocrat did not solve my problems. 

Hot, dry, cold, damp, hot and damp... hot and then cold the same day... air exchanges and hot moist air, new wet, cigar shuffle... none make a difference to me any more.

I use machines to reduce my work. A humidor is no exception.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

I use the big Boveda 62s in large tupperdors, a whynter 300, and a newair 400.  As the Bovedas dry out, I recharge them.  I also keep a couple 62s half dried out to bring humidity down if necessary.  All of my storage units hold humidity very well between 61-63 since I monitor them and shuffle Bovedas as necessary regularly.

I like the idea of keeping the dryer bovedas in case you want to bring RH down for any reason, thanks for the tip.

• Thanks 1

Cannot tick any box or method as I use absolutely nothing for decades now, no humidification or anything other than metal lockers, ziplock bags and a good old fashioned cellar.

Explained in this thread from 2012 :

• Like 3

Staebell Set & Forget system.

I use Bóvedas 65 in my Tupperdor and in my unplugged Coolidge, since my house stays at around 70F. I might have to try using Bovedas  62 For my ready to smoke sticks, since living in Louisiana humidity makes it tough on keeping them lit too long

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2020 at 10:18 AM, PigFish said:

I build the best climate controlled humidor on the planet (debatably). I use an active system that hydrates when dry and dehydrated when wet. It cools when hot and heats when cool. My cigars live better than I do, and I live alright...

I hated fussing over cigars. It drove me nuts. I tried buying a solution and was not happy with the results. An Aristocrat did not solve my problems. 

Hot, dry, cold, damp, hot and damp... hot and then cold the same day... air exchanges and hot moist air, new wet, cigar shuffle... none make a difference to me any more.

I use machines to reduce my work. A humidor is no exception.

Why did an Aristocrat not work for you? I've heard nothing but good things about Aristocrats... Wish I could find one, lol