Tomahawk steak

jazzboypro

Hello all,

I'm planning on cooking my first tomahawk steak this weekend and i'm looking for a good recipe more particularly in terms of cooking technique and spices to use. I like my steak rare, i usually do not marinate steaks and i'm not a fan of pouring sauce on my steak either. My plan is as follow:

1- Let the steak come to room temperature

2- Start cooking the steak on the charcoal BBQ at high temp.

3- finish the steak on the gas grill (maybe)

What spices do you use and at what time do you use it ?

Thanks

I like the  reverse sear method and all I season with is kosher salt and fresh black pepper. Cook the steak as slow and low as possible in your, gasp, oven until it's a few degrees under you desired eating temp. Let it rest a bit to stop temperature rise. Put it on a charcoal inferno, hot as you can get it. Sear both sides. The benefit, as I see it, is to increase the portion of the meat that is at the correct temperature and still get a good crust. The photo below is from last Christmas. I'm not a big fan of tenderloin roast (I'll take a standing rib roast anyday of the week)  but it was a very even medium rare with a good crust.

fullsizeoutput_8cf.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

So, how did you cook it?

I had ignored all the talk about the reverse sear, until last year. Tried it once and will never go back. Dry-aged (or dry-age cheat) with a lot of marbling, salt, cooked to 115-120F at 250F in the oven, then sear at the highest possible temp for a minute on each side on either a good carbon steel pan or charcoal. Then let it rest for 10 minutes. Perfect rare across with no grey whatsoever and perfect  every time.  

• Like 1