WINNER ANNOUNCED!! Word of the Week Comp #35

Word of the Week #35  

82 members have voted

1. 1. The word cosmognosis (n.) means...

• The science of forecasting the expansion of the universe.
    • The celestial events that are said to comprise the reasons for someone having a very bad day at the racetrack.
    • The natural instinct that tells a creature when to migrate.
    • The creation, and subsequent components thereof, of a life trajectory founded on astrology.

This poll is closed to new votes

Some slight tweaks to the comp for 2020... 

Every week we're going to have a poll about the definition of a forgotten or obscure word. From the four options pick the definition you believe to be the correct one. Voters who pick the correct definition go into the draw for an El Pres Sampler!!  :party: (Drawn Tuesday morning, Brisbane time. Please note: Polls don't show on Tapatalk, but you can participate via a web version of the site)

NO GOOGLING OR DICTIONARY USE! We're using the honour system. It's just a bit of fun. If you know, you know. If you don't, have a stab in the dark or an educated guess (if you prefer that term). ;)

You may elaborate about your choice in the topic thread below if you wish but no posting of any official definitions, etc., that will give away the game for others. 

Now you know the drill, vote away! :thumbsup: Good luck and may this comp prove to be a fun palaestra that turns us all into better word-grubbers, if you know what I mean...

The university student wondered whether she could afford to continue her study of cosmognosis . For she could find no rhyme or reason beyond cosmognosis for her race tip to fail. She had bet her entire year's tuition fees on what she was assured was a sure thing. Her best friend who studied the cosmognosis of migratory animals, concluded that horses born in the north, would naturally run faster on a southern facing track in the winter. She had corroborated this with her personal astrologist, who determined that her cosmognosis would greatly influence the results of the race. With Uranus in the First House, how could she not bet on a horse named, "Oberon Ascendant", when her own name is Ariel Miranda Wishmaker?

• Haha 2

Big props to the three who voted for #2... Champion qualities right there ;). Alas, the correct answer was #3. Well done to those who got it right! :clap:

The random draw winner was @djrey !!

Congrats!! :party:

Please PM your details (name, address, and email) to me @MoeFOH and we'll arrange dispatch of your prize. 

Thanks to all who participated. Next word up tomorrow! :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congrats! 

I picked 

"The celestial events that are said to comprise the reasons for someone having a very bad day at the racetrack."

because I live it every weekend ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Me too! So, what is the word for “The Gods aren’t smiling upon me” while at the racetrack?... ?

17 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Me too! So, what is the word for “The Gods aren’t smiling upon me” while at the racetrack?... ?