Does anyone else just watch the Bond Roberts Auctions?...12K for a Siglo VI GR WHAT??!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love cigars, and especially this cigar.  And it is not like I haven’t done similarly frivolous things.  But at $1000 a cigar, I don’t know. If you told me I had to consume $1000 in 2 hours with

And from what I can tell, it seems to be two bidders thus far. Who they are is anyone's guess! Who knows? Perhaps Marvin Shanken (the publisher of Cigar Aficionado who famously paid $US575000 years ag

Sheikh Ken Gargett ? ???

I saw someone post this auction on my Facebook feed.   I noticed it had the serial code split into two numbers.  I was trying to look one up on a box for someone previously on the Habanos verification site.   I have never got it to work for a serial code that is split.   I tried entering all the numbers in a row.   Also putting a space in the center.  I have never got it to work.   Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

its pure Buy and add to collection, or win at good price and resell, i still buy and smoke, not for the trading thing as yete

Love it. U see guys who buy for one reason only-flipping. I don’t mind buying and selling, but I hate watching guys who try to snap up hard to find items for the sole purpose of selling immediately at a markup.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yellot00tr said:

Love it. U see guys who buy for one reason only-flipping. I don’t mind buying and selling, but I hate watching guys who try to snap up hard to find items for the sole purpose of selling immediately at a markup.

Its cool, its just will stay a small nitch, like the rare car collections,  cuba & usa will soon ease, hopping on a flight to cuba and loading up, like the Chinese do will be much more attainable, the hardest part is staying away from them and not smoking them.... im from the smoke em if you got em error. tenyear VET

20 hours ago, benfica_77 said:

Holy mother here comes the next monster auction.....This one looks like something from Min Ron Nee's collection. Dang. 

https://www.bondroberts.com/product/view/1666

Buy it now only $10K. $100/stick. Behikes are going for more than that!

Far more money than sense. Even if I were a millionaire I wouldn't pee away 12 grand on a handful of cigars. Even as an investment at this stage it's not very good, you can make FAR more money a lot more quickly too by investing $12,000 in all kinds of other things.

Even just to try them I don't see any point, for less than 12k you could have a luxurious trip to Cuba, pay for a VIP visit to the factories and have a couple of full boxes of the finest batch of Siglo VI personally rolled for you and also source a well-aged box from a good "vintage". Why would you want to waste 12k on a stupid box of 15 cigars which are ultimately just really good Siglo VIs...and I will state again, they are (especially now) a terrible investment.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AusDyer said:

Far more money than sense. Even if I were a millionaire I wouldn't pee away 12 grand on a handful of cigars. Even as an investment at this stage it's not very good, you can make FAR more money a lot more quickly too by investing $12,000 in all kinds of other things.

Even just to try them I don't see any point, for less than 12k you could have a luxurious trip to Cuba, pay for a VIP visit to the factories and have a couple of full boxes of the finest batch of Siglo VI personally rolled for you and also source a well-aged box from a good "vintage". Why would you want to waste 12k on a stupid box of 15 cigars which are ultimately just really good Siglo VIs...and I will state again, they are (especially now) a terrible investment.

Perhaps at this point it’s not a good investment. For the guy who sold them and likely bought them at a far cheaper price...I speculate he had a pretty good IRR

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Riverstyx said:

Perhaps at this point it’s not a good investment. For the guy who sold them and likely bought them at a far cheaper price...I speculate he had a pretty good IRR

Yeah, you need to buy a few boxes right away when they are released. This is curently the reason everywhere here in the UK is completely sold out of Montecristo Supremos, despite them only having gone on sale here a week ago. Absolute pain in the...sorry. But yeah, for cigar investments you have to get in there the moment they're released. That being said the Cohiba Gran Reservas cost an absolute fortune from the beginning, anyone remember what a box cost back then? Something like Cohiba GR in particular is probably the safest bet you can make, but it can still be quite risky buying up brand new release cigars in the hope they'll sell for a lot more down the line. Often they don't sell for that much more (in terms of profiting from investments) even many years later, only certain ones seem to. You also have to make sure you look after them correctly for many years, so they're not necessarily an entirely stable investment. A friend of mine once found his entire humidor over-humidified due to a malfunction during hot weather and also infested with beetles and lost thousands of pounds worth of cigars. He went away on business for a month, came back and had very little left worth smoking.

And thanks Habana Mike! Greetings and will do.

Surely If people make it....they are free to spend it any way they like?  :cigar:

From cars, to booze to cigars.  My experience is that they tend to tune out the white noise and double down on work and play. 

I toast them :party:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, gorob23 said:

I window shop all the time. If I bought all the things I wanted..... well then, I'd be "Yes Dear".  ?

Love ya Rob!

4 hours ago, AusDyer said:

Far more money than sense. Even if I were a millionaire I wouldn't pee away 12 grand on a handful of cigars. 

I think it's just the sense of scale that we sometimes fail to understand. For example, a can of coca cola would cost say, 50p in a supermarket. But if you go to a restaurant, maybe you'd pay £3 for the same thing. If you go to a fancy bar, maybe you'd pay £6. Sure, you'd complain about the relative price, but you'd probably still do it.

Now, multiply your net worth by 2000x, and switch the coca cola with the GRs. You'd (almost) understand why they'd spend money like that! 

There are lots of people with more money than they can spend and if they have the money and this was their chance to get a box to enjoy then why not. We all indulge just a different levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$12,000 isn’t the problem. It’s just a question of how much u want something. The problem is that u can do more entertaining things with that money. When i didn’t have multiple large mortgage payments and 6 figure tuition payments for elementary school, that was pocket change. Even then, I’d rather spend it going out with my boys. We would do crazy nights once a month and blow through money like it’s water. If u caught us in vegas, $100,000 nights were nothing. I could blow that in a bad hour at the baccarat or roulette tables. 

• Like 1

It’s the sort of thing that if you can afford to buy them then $12k isn’t a lot of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love freedom of choice and the free market. There is an ass for every seat. One should be free to spend money as they see fit. One person's stupid decision is another's stupendous revelation.

I just smoked a really nice RGPC. I know a good cigar when I taste one, and it did not cost me a grand. That's what floats my boat. A good cigar. The fact that I manage to get great cigars for a few bucks when someone else pays 1K a pop, makes me out to be brilliant shopper! I am a smoker, not a collector!

Its a cigar! Its Cuban!!! That means that if was supposed to be a value, it could be fantastic. If it was meant to be fantastic, it could be dud... The opposite also holds true.

The box and the bands, the outrageous price don't make a cigar better. People buying these cigars, don't have my tastes and values. They buy them to trade, to make them feel superior to others, for a host of reasons, and since I don't smoke them, I certainly must be fair and grant them the same motivations that I have; perhaps they just feel that they are a great cigar for the money. How the hell should I know?

At my level of income, this would be a stupid decision. At theirs, it obviously is not, and that is the all the difference in the world. If they are not objecting to me buying a $100 box of RGPCs, why the hell should I object to them spending money on what they want?

I think all this high priced cigar crap has tended to ruin a good thing. That's life. I still have the RGPC and they have theirs. Like I said, an ass for every seat! Someday one of the blokes might get scalped by me selling something to them at a price that I think is stupid. That is the way the market works! When that day comes, I will love them for it! -LOL

Cheers! -the Pig

• Like 2
  • Haha 1