Kenfessions: Onward with the Robusto Rumble...

Great read Ken. It makes me want to open the Zacapa XO I’ve had for a few years. I’ll skip the ice cube though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LLC said:

Great read Ken. It makes me want to open the Zacapa XO I’ve had for a few years. I’ll skip the ice cube though emoji6.png

ta guys.

i always leave the ice cube to individuals. some hate them. some not. like a dash of water in whisky. opens things up. and living in Queensland, most of the time an ice cube very quickly becomes simply a dash of water. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

ta guys.

i always leave the ice cube to individuals. some hate them. some not. like a dash of water in whisky. opens things up. and living in Queensland, most of the time an ice cube very quickly becomes simply a dash of water. 

What do you think about putting whiskey in a freezer when the weather is scorching hot

11 hours ago, Smokecigareveryday said:

What do you think about putting whiskey in a freezer when the weather is scorching hot

i do it with vodka and gin but never thought about it with dark spirits. not sure to be honest. 

ta guys.

Opened up the XO after my Americano was done but my Siglo VI from 2012 wasn’t. Good but a touch harsh so in the interest of science I added a small chip of ice. With the humidity it’s still 99f (37c) in the evening here so it quickly became a dash of water.

It took away the harsh edge and opened it up so many of the flavors you mentioned were more pronounced. Cheers.
2533a1fc1487ae435f98991d568d6247.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Smokecigareveryday said:

For fine whiskies, I find that chilling reduces the nose by a lot. Dash (or drop) of water, on the other hand, may open up a whole new dimension of flavours, enhance certain aspects, or simply ruin it. Best to use a dropper - you can only add, but not remove!

If we're drinking as an aperitif or want a cool summertime drink, a favourite of mine is the Japanese-style highball 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meklown said:

For fine whiskies, I find that chilling reduces the nose by a lot. Dash (or drop) of water, on the other hand, may open up a whole new dimension of flavours, enhance certain aspects, or simply ruin it. Best to use a dropper - you can only add, but not remove!

If we're drinking as an aperitif or want a cool summertime drink, a favourite of mine is the Japanese-style highball 

there is no doubt that chilling/overchilling kills aromas and robs the spirit/wine/whatever of some of its glories. i would not be putting a spirit like a good malt in the freezer, but in defence of our friend above, if he is drinking something from the freezer in the scorching heat to which he refers, then it is going to warm up fairly quickly. but for me, i would not be drinking a whisky in such heat. 

agree re the addition of water. very carefully. 

• Like 1