Heartfelt Beads Question & Help

StogieSteve23

Hey Guys, I know this has been touched on to a certain extent after looking back in the forums, but I'm still looking for a little assistance from you all. 

My Avallo cabinet is in the process of being built but I'm guessing won't be ready until about December at the earliest.  As the temperature and humidity here in South Florida are on the rise and summer is knocking on our door, I'm having a hard time dehumidifying my wineador.  It's unplugged because last fall the cooling element stopped working so I unplugged it and just used 65% Bovedas and would leave the house cool enough to keep the unit at 68%/69* (not ideal, I know but everything smokes/tastes fine).. Now I find that the RH is not spiking but staying consistently higher around 70% as were getting into the warmer more humid (well it's always humid in South Florida) months.. No bueno.. 

I've removed the Bovedas and bought Heartfelt beads (65%) in hopes that they will help de-humidify the space.  Its a 400 count unit and I currently have 1lb of beads that I have put in about a week ago.  I see the humidity not dropping at all. I bought 2bs at the same time and haven't opened the other one yet.

My Questions to you all:

1. How long does it usually take for some kind of dehumidification to begin happening with these beads and would you recommend more in the unit for now? The unit is 2.5 cubic ft. and heartfelt recommends a 1/2lb for that size space (I have 1lb in there). 

2. Other ways/tricks you can think of to dehumidify.  Hopefully between Thanksgiving and Christmas I have my new cooled cabinet but I need some fixes in the meantime.  

Thank you in advance for any assistance you're willing to provide. 

Did you put the beads in dry?  I use dry Bovedas to bring humidity down in my containers and it works well.  I've not used the beads so I don't know if putting them in dry would have the same effect.  Maybe?

3 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

Did you put the beads in dry?  I use dry Bovedas to bring humidity down in my containers and it works well.  I've not used the beads so I don't know if putting them in dry would have the same effect.  Maybe?

I put them in just as they came (obviously took out of the plastic bag they came in and put them into a mesh bag) but I did not do anything else to dry/wet the beads. It was my understanding from the reviews I read and their website that you can just put them in your humidor as is and they will start to de/humidify depending on the RH level of the beads you buy and what you're needing them to do for your current level. I could totally be wrong about this but that was my understanding. 

2 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

Try adding the rest of the beads (do not moisten). In the past, we've had Florida members use damprid during the hottest / most humid months.

Ok I will try adding the other beads first and of not, try the damprid.  I believe I have some in the house already.  I'm imagining that would need to be placed in some kind of a "reservoir" type container to not allow for any sucked up moisture to escape the container they are in? Not like the beads that are in a mesh bag?

I think it’s going to take a few days, maybe even a week, to get the humidity down a few points using heartfelt beads. It’s best to keep the unit closed securely for a prolonged period for them to really work their best. I use them in coolers and it requires patience on my part, I have found over the years. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cayman17 said:

I think it’s going to take a few days, maybe even a week, to get the humidity down a few points using heartfelt beads. It’s best to keep the unit closed securely for a prolonged period for them to really work their best. I use them in coolers and it requires patience on my part, I have found over the years. 

Thank you, that makes me feel a bit better.  I'll be sure to give it some more time and do my best to not open the unit for a while.  

I use Heartfelt beads currently.

If you want to dehumidify, don't put any beads or humidification in.  I have run summers with no water in the Aristorcrat and was fine.  Once it settles down or goes below 65% streadily, re-introduce humdification.

1 minute ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I use Heartfelt beads currently.

If you want to dehumidify, don't put any beads or humidification in.  I have run summers with no water in the Aristorcrat and was fine.  Once it settles down or goes below 65% streadily, re-introduce humdification.

So no beads at first despite them being a lower RH than what it currently says in the humidor and them claiming to de-humidify?   

It is often recommended to use twice the calculated amount of beads in whatever container/humidor/coolidor that you are using. If you have some room left, you could put empty cigar boxes that would absorb some of the humidity. I think it going to take a few weeks to lower the RH of 5-7 points

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jazzboypro said:

It is often recommended to use twice the calculated amount of beads in whatever container/humidor/coolidor that you are using. If you have some room left, you could put empty cigar boxes that would absorb some of the humidity. I think it going to take a few weeks to lower the RH of 5-7 points

Thank you! It calls for 1/2lb in that size space and I currently have 1lb in it. I'm going to give it a little while and see what happens, then if no progression in the next two weeks or so, I'll add more from the additional lb of beads I have.  

2 minutes ago, StogieSteve23 said:

Thank you! It calls for 1/2lb in that size space and I currently have 1lb in it. I'm going to give it a little while and see what happens, then if no progression in the next two weeks or so, I'll add more from the additional lb of beads I have.  

Personally, i would add the other lb of beads right away. Beside the fact that they take up some space, there is nothing wrong with having extra beads. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jazzboypro said:

Personally, i would add the other lb of beads right away. Beside the fact that they take up some space, there is nothing wrong with having extra beads. 

Fair enough! 

1 hour ago, StogieSteve23 said:

So no beads at first despite them being a lower RH than what it currently says in the humidor and them claiming to de-humidify?   

If you are over RH in the humidor then no beads until it is down and then add beads with some water.  It probably does de-humidify if wait it out, but overly humid is not state you want cigars to be in the warmer weather.  Beetles and mold are too easy.

• Like 1

As others have pointed out, you can’t have too many beads, it can’t hurt your cigars. I’ve got about 3lbs in my wineador.

The other thing I’d say is that if the RH isn’t coming down to roughly what your beads are rated at, you can stick them in the oven. Just put them in at like 200 degrees for 10-15min.

Take them out and check the color. If most are white and not clear, you’re good.

Let them cool and put them back in your humidor.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HoyoFan said:

As others have pointed out, you can’t have too many beads, it can’t hurt your cigars. I’ve got about 3lbs in my wineador.

The other thing I’d say is that if the RH isn’t coming down to roughly what your beads are rated at, you can stick them in the oven. Just put them in at like 200 degrees for 10-15min.

Take them out and check the color. If most are white and not clear, you’re good.

Let them cool and put them back in your humidor.

Interesting.  Have you done this before?  If you have done this, how much of a RH drop have you noticed? I'm not going to just yet but rather wait maybe a couple weeks and see what happens.

Interesting.  Have you done this before?  If you have done this, how much of a RH drop have you noticed? I'm not going to just yet but rather wait maybe a couple weeks and see what happens.

Yep done this a bunch of times to dry mine.

Think of your beads as a sponge. There’s only so much they can absorb until they’re full of moisture. So putting them in the oven is the equivalent of squeezing out the sponge.

The drop I saw was pretty close to what they’re rated at. Obviously this assumes your hygrometer is correctly calibrated. Takes a few days for me.
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, KavalanWhisky said:

Thanks for sharing this, although this looks to be the opposite of what I am looking for.  He was looking for a higher RH and I'm looking to dehumidify.  

Apologies, I didn't read the entire thread but one thing that Kitty litter is similar to heartfelt bead in that it can absorb excess moisture and I used it when it was super humid in HK.

On 5/29/2020 at 12:22 PM, KavalanWhisky said:

Apologies, I didn't read the entire thread but one thing that Kitty litter is similar to heartfelt bead in that it can absorb excess moisture and I used it when it was super humid in HK.

Does it settle on a specific humidity level like how the HF beads are designed to?

15 minutes ago, Meklown said:

Does it settle on a specific humidity level like how the HF beads are designed to?

No specific humidity level but you can mist them if they drop or leave them dry if you want them to suck out humidity. I always checked it every few days anyways so it was never too many swings.

I no longer use them as I just use boveda now but it works as a pinch if you can't get enough boveda packs.

• Thanks 1