2020 Plugged Cigar Poll

El Presidente

What's your plugged cigar rate? Plugged being so uncomfortably tight that it requires intervention or cessation.   

295 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

30-50%?! My goodness... you're talking 1999-2000 numbers there. That's unheard of today. Of any vitola, skinny or not. I have to ask what your storage conditions are.

I have to say the last 3 boxes of PLMC and one of MdO4 have had zero cigars plugged. They really seem to be taking care of the ultra-skinnies lately.

I actually seem to have the most issues with 42 RG. Had quite a few Monte 1s that were on the tight side earlier this year. One or two El Principes. If I'm into a box of RyJ Belvederes or PLP/RGPE I might get two or three tight buggers but that's about it. I don't consider those premium cigars.

Monte especial has been the worst, but CoLa has not been good either. Stored in wineador at 60/65. 

1 hour ago, mpq said:

Monte especial has been the worst, but CoLa has not been good either. Stored in wineador at 60/65. 

I can see the 39s being an issue. At 60 deg you could definitely take that rH down to 62 or even 60-61 for 90 days. There's a lot of seco in Laguito 1 & 2s relative to their RG that can really absorb moisture and contribute to tight draws.

I am not nearly as experienced as many here but I have encountered more problems by being impatient and not letting time do its job. A well acclimatized cigar will have far fewer draw problems, imho. Also too I have learned that if I do run across a stick that has too tight of a draw, I will place it in my dry box and revisit it at a later date. If it is still plugged after a few extra days then it goes back or I will use the PerfecDraw.

I have had a few plugged cigars in the last few months - according to my logs - maybe 3 or 4.  Also, a few more with very tight draws that you had to work at smoking.  I'm not sure I've written down every one because if I can fix it with a PerfectDraw, I smoke it and forget about it.  I only tend to remember the "frustrating cigars".   (1) Monte PE, (1) PLPC, (1) HdM Epi #2 and the below NC ..... Given my CC smoking rate that's about 1%.

Surprisingly, one of the plugged cigars was a Padron 64 Anniversary A from 1998.  It was the last one of the box and I was really looking forward to a great 2.5 hour smoke - that was really frustrating because I refused to give up on it and fought it all the way to the end!

Since I live in FL with high humidity -- The bigger problem for me is having to re-light a young CC several times in the last third.  The first third to half burns great then, the trouble starts.  I know my problem is that most of my CC's are very young and just need more time to age and loosen-up.  I keep the humidity in the humi at a very consistent 65% rH (room humidity is 57% rH) .  I've tried dry-boxing but buy into the fact that it would take a very long-time in the dry-box to really make a difference.  So, I've just vowed to be more patient and put the CCs away for a 1 to 3 year rest.  

Interestingly, since I'm still building my CC collection, I tend not to buy Cohiba's or expensive LE's and have kept it to standard production only.  In my formal, written CC Plan - I had assumed 1% bad CC's towards my annual purchase requirements.  So, that means on average, I will throw away $35 to $70 worth of cigars per year.  

From reading this post (and others) I've started recording "bad cigars" in my logs so I can better determine how they impact my plan.  I also, now, am much more careful about a "tight draw".  If I cut it and it's tight -- I put it back in the Humi in a box labeled "George's Cigars ONLY - USED" and will let the CC sit for a few more years!  It's amazing and gratifying how much I can learn from the information sharing that occurs here on FoH - Thanks!

• Like 1

Just curious as to why there are so many plugged cigars when they are all tested for good draw by hand using a draw testing machine before they leave the factory ?

2 hours ago, FatPete said:

Just curious as to why there are so many plugged cigars when they are all tested for good draw by hand using a draw testing machine before they leave the factory ?

They had a work around for the draw machine testers within the first month. 

:lookaround:  :idea: :dollarsign: :2thumbs:

• Haha 1

Can't remember the last plug I had. Far less common than when I first started this malarkey. Happy days. ?

It's gotten better but the Dip2s still give me tons of problems. Half require PerfectDraw tool. 

Love the flavor but I might give up on em. Lots of other CCs that are just as good but not as much trouble. Sigh...

I would say 2 to 3 per box. of those probably 1 use the prefect draw on and you pull a big stem out. most of the time once the plug is free'd up the smoke is fine. 

I'm actually quite surprised how many fight through a plugged cigar.

once I cut and find a tight draw, I stick it in a "very" dry box (likely low 50's rh). Every month or two I redraw to check them. I'll be honest, only 1/3 of the super dry box actually get smokable, but I prefer smoking 1/3rd in a pure smokable manner than fighting through 100% of the cigars.

The other 2/3'ds just sit. I have cigars that I cut over a year ago sitting in that super dry box. Maybe I'll open them up a smoke them in a pipe.

But I don't have a pipe.....maybe try it in a bong, lol.

• Haha 1

Does anyone else think Cuban cigars generally have a different style or method of bunching tobacco, which generally results in a tighter and firmer draw across the board compared to non-Cubans?  I agree there are other factors that contribute to tighter draws in Cubans (mainly age & humidity), but think it's a matter of style and preference with Cuban rollers and how they're trained because I've never used a perfect draw on a non-Cuban, but constantly am using it to open up Cubans of all sizes and marcas.