Podcasts you are listening to?

Podcasts you are listening to?

I am thoroughly enjoying "Business Wars". Brilliant and in depth accounts of great corporate hand to hand battles. 

Macy's s Gimbells, Th Raisin Cartels, Hershey vs Mars, Facebook vs snapchat ,WWE vs WCW  etc etc etc. 

• Like 1

Currently massively enjoying the "Socially Distant Sports Bar".  You have to be able to understand a Welsh accent, but its fabulous,   the very funny sports fans discuss some of the most poignant moments in sport.   The first time i've genuinely laughed out loud whilst listening to a podcast,  Particularly the episode when they discuss Irish gypsy bare knuckle boxers, and Kimbo Slice.  In the UK i whole heap of sports fans are currently switching to this channel, and dumping more generic dull podcasts. 

http://distantpod.buzzsprout.com/ 

• Like 1

Since I'm goin through The Wire now, for maybe the fifth or sixth time I'm checking out the "Way Down in the Hole" podcast where they analyze each episode. And The Collective Podcast, which is a "graphic/motion design all creative" show.

• Like 3

been loving the darkest timeline podcast, just started couple months ago. has ken jeong (aka chang from community and mr. chow from hangover) and joel mchale (aka jeff from community and host of the soup) they mostly discuss community (one of my favorite shows) and ken is a doctor who shares his knowledge about covid.

• Like 1

Nick Hammond's 80 Cigars Around The World Podcast. I was surprised that Magail De La Cruz from Sautter Cigars popped in Nick Hammond's podcast (didn't know she's from Cuba)!

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

• Like 1

Love podcasts. Here are some of my favorites...

Rational Reminder Podcast - Fairly technical podcast on personal finance and investing. It does have a Canadian-focus at points but great podcast for all. I would say the general listener is an intermediate to advanced investor it can get quite technical at points.

The Intelligence by The Economist - 20 minute episodes Monday to Friday usually covers 3 topics around the world. Really well done and the topics can vary from the arts, to business to science. 

Joe Rogan Experience - There's a reason why spotify just gave him 100 million USD to the licensing rights. Not every podcast is a gem but when they hit wow...

Fantasy Footballers - Fun and informative podcast about Fantasy Football. They are a year round podcast but I usually just listen to it during the football season and just before. 

Found my Fitness by Dr. Rhonda Patrick - A very heavily science based podcast talking about different health related topics 

Sam Harris - He has his phd in Neuroscience. Talks a lot about philosophy and meditation. His app called Waking Up is the best meditation app i've used. There is a legit way to get the paid version for free. PM if you want details. 

• Like 1

Mostly the Joe Rogan Experience, wide variety of interesting subjects. Been listening to that for a long time. There are other podcast I listen to, but I haven't listened for long enough to determine if I really like them or not.     

• Like 1

Not really a podcast, but I've enjoyed the Boveda Box-press episode lately. although a commercial outlet for Boveda, there are some interesting new-world cigar conversations to listen to.

An old classic would be Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. A self confessed amateur history fan weaving great stories from the big and sometimes overlooked moments from history.

And if you're into old-school pro-wrasslin, The Jim Cornette Experience has a load of great pro wrestling stories to listen to. Although I grew out of wrestling in my teens, i love to hear 'shoot' interviews from and about the real life goings on of one of the most unique businesses in the world.  

• Like 2

I spend a lot of time on the road for work (not so much lately for obvious reasons) and listen to quite a few podcasts. 

Corona Virus Daily- Daily updates on the virus from NPR 

Rabbit Hole-A podcast dedicated to studying how and why people end up consuming massive amounts of internet content 

The Doctors Farmacy with Dr Mark Hyman- A functional medicine doctor that studies/promotes more natural/diet approaches to health in our time 

Around the World in 80 Cigars- You know about this one. I learned about it here 

Hardcore History with Dan Carlin- The episodes don't come out too often but they are 3-4 hours when they do. A well researched look at events and cultures that changed history 

LSE Public Lectures and Events- for Econ nerds. Mostly speeches given at or sponsored by the London School of Economics 

Citations Needed- "The intersection of media, PR, power, and bullsh*t". I left leaning look at many issues facing society today, mostly US related. 

Dungeons and Daddies- A narrative podcast of a Dungeons and Dragons adventure where dads are thrown into the forgotten realms in search of their lost sons. Lots of laughs

So Very Wrong about Games- A podcast dedicated to board game reviews and latest board game news 

Criminal- A different true crime story each week or two. A lot are historical. 

Deep Dish on Global Affairs- from the Chicago Council on Foreign Affairs. Discussions on international issues mostly being foreign policy, national security, and and economics through a US lens

Deconstructed with Mehdi Hasan- US Politics focus. Sponsored by the Intercept 

Common Sense with Dan Carlin- Like his Hardcore History podcast, the updates are few and far between, mostly because he has been writing books lately. I love his perspective though. 

What Trump can Teach us about Con Law- A Constitutional Law professor digging deep about history and laws related to US Politics 

• Thanks 1

Teachers Pet - our Oz members will know all about this but I had never heard of it. Shocking.

I second/third the Joe Rogan Experience, as mentioned above, not all episodes are great, but there are some that get very interesting.

Bad Friends - Bobby Lee and Andrew Santino. Two hilarious comedians who just talk to each other for 2 hours, no guests, laugh out loud comedy.

In Bed With Nick & Megan - interviews with very famous guests. Hosted by Nick Offerman, hilarious and smart guy who played Ron Swanson in Parks and Rec, and his wife Megan Mullally, played in Will & Grace.

Found My Fitness - mentioned above. Love her. When you want the real, unbiased science on health concerns. Unfortunately, not too many episodes.

The World In Time / Lapham’s Quarterly - run by Lewis Lapham, one of my all time favorite human beings. Extremely well read and experienced person interviewing various authors and such. Comes from a very rich family yet took the route of journalism growing up. Look up some YouTube videos on him or read his Lapham’s Quarterly to get a better idea of who he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I listen to podcasts more than music now.

1) JRE... I like the comedic guest episodes more than anything else.

2) This American life.  
3) the Daily by The NY Times 

4) Serial

5) freakanomics radio

6) Kill Tony... open mic comedians get one minute spots and the panel critiques the set. Since the pandemic tho, it’s just been with the panel Talking and not the same.

7) Radiolab

8 Behind the bastards... talks about worlds worst people.

9) Ari Shaffir’s skeptic tank...good conversations with interesting people and topics

10) The Legion of Skanks.  Raunchy comedy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 9:19 PM, Diabolicalpherpher said:

I listen to podcasts more than music now.

1) JRE... I like the comedic guest episodes more than anything else.

2) This American life.  
3) the Daily by The NY Times 

4) Serial

5) freakanomics radio

6) Kill Tony... open mic comedians get one minute spots and the panel critiques the set. Since the pandemic tho, it’s just been with the panel Talking and not the same.

7) Radiolab

8 Behind the bastards... talks about worlds worst people.

9) Ari Shaffir’s skeptic tank...good conversations with interesting people and topics

10) The Legion of Skanks.  Raunchy comedy.

@Diabolicalpherpher

Just found this thread so I'm a little late but so surprised and glad to find another fan of the East Coast comedy pods on here. I'm not really a Skanks fan per se, but a huge fan of Big Jay and the whole New York and Philly comedy scene and podcast crews. And of course most of those interface with other popular casts like JRE and Kill Tony etc. 

Ok, just thought I'd throw that out into the ether....

I drive around a lot for work and spend most of that time with a podcast on. Most of what I listen to daily is golf related. Here’s a bunch I really have enjoyed. 

The Shotgun Start. This is my absolute favorite. It’s every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The two guys who are on it crack me up. I look forward to it everyday a new one comes out. 

The Fried Egg. A must for anyone interested in golf course architecture. One of the same guys who does The Shotgun Start. 

No Laying Up. I don’t listen to them all but enjoy the one I listen to. Especially their golf travel one. I travel a lot to play golf so it’s fun to hear about others trips. 

Chasing Scratch. A couple of guys my age (mid 30s) trying to get to scratch. Pretty funny podcast. Took me a few episodes to get into it. 

This American Life. A classic. 

Landscapes and Pancakes. I’m a landscape contractor and the husband and wife that do it I really look up to. 

A couple one offs I really enjoyed. All true crime podcast. First season of Serial, The Drop Out ( it’s about the Theranos scandal), Cutthroat Inc, and S Town  

Currently massively enjoying the "Socially Distant Sports Bar".  You have to be able to understand a Welsh accent, but its fabulous,   the very funny sports fans discuss some of the most poignant moments in sport.   The first time i've genuinely laughed out loud whilst listening to a podcast,  Particularly the episode when they discuss Irish gypsy bare knuckle boxers, and Kimbo Slice.  In the UK i whole heap of sports fans are currently switching to this channel, and dumping more generic dull podcasts. 
http://distantpod.buzzsprout.com/ 

I completely and utterly agree. It is the funniest thing I have heard in ages. My best mate is from the same part of the world as the three hosts and it’s like being in the pub with a few of the boys. I await the new episode every Tuesday with eager anticipation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1