High temperature for cigars

I usually keep my cigars at 70f/60rh, but in the summer my apartment gets up to 80-90f if I don't have the AC on. I drop the humidity down and everything smokes ok, but I'm curious if large temperature swings are detrimental to long term aging in peoples experience. I'm relatively new to cigars and don't have much over 3/4 years old, so I have little experience to really compare. I freeze everything coming in so I'm not worried about beetles. 

2 hours ago, nKostyan said:

discussed it in detail here emoji115.png

+ Sent another article to PM

Could you send me that article as well? 

I don't have anything in boxes, they're all in a desktop humidor. Are you saying that would make a difference? 

On 6/20/2020 at 10:11 AM, havanaclub said:
How would elevated temps not affect a box that is vacuum sealed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there are several aspects:

- less thermal conductivity in thin air;

- no condensation;

- less humidity and therefore less breakdown of aromatic compounds

- no appearance of mold

On 6/20/2020 at 8:19 AM, jhalischuk said:

I don't have anything in boxes, they're all in a desktop humidor.

The main danger of high temperature is increased humidity from the humidifier and the appearance of mold.
In this case, Boveda will help, which removes excess moisture faster when the temperature rises.
Remove the humidifier from the humidor and put in a few Boveda bags

• Like 1

I feel that stable temps are very important, if you are trying to age your cigars properly. Higher temps definitely accelerates the progress. If aging isn’t important to you, stable temps are still important, mostly for preservation of the wrappers and in the prevention of fungal proliferation. 

For me, I would be very concerned about my sticks reaching 80 degrees F. I keep my office, where most of my collection is housed between 66-68 degrees. 

• Like 1

Taking care of cigars is not easy, but def fun. Lower temp lower humidity for aging. Not an easy hobby. Time and cost of aging might not be worth it. Might be cheaper to buy aged stuff. I never really thought about it, but I can’t even imagine the true costs of aging boxes over the years. Time, electricity, humidification, etc. I’m in the same boat as Mark. Gotta keep my office at that temp year round, even with climate controlled humidors because of all the desktop humidors.