Cuban cigars got really expensive...

I got heavily into cigars about 5 years ago and for a few years went on a bit of a buying spree (nearly all cubans), I established a collection probably in the  300-400 range, small by the standards of some here but I'm not a frequent smoker, maybe one or two a week during the summer (weather permitting... UK....), nowadays I tend to buy a few boxes per year as top ups.

I got an email today for some specials from a popular website many of us have probably used and thought to myself, damn their specials look like their regular pricing used too.

I know china will hoover up everything cuba produces so I have no expectation prices are ever going to come down (or even stop increasing) but for me I'm starting to think nc's may have to be the way to go for my regular smokes and cubans will be treats. Has anyone else been having similar thoughts?

• Like 1

I find everyday CCs (PLPCs, Mag46s, JLP2s, HdMEpi2s, any PC) are still affordable and haven't changed much in price. What did increase compared to 5-10 years ago are Cohibas, Trinidads, any new release, ELs, REs, DCs, Churchill's, and torpedos/campanas.

• Like 2

Prices have gone up on all cigars, and Cohiba and less so Trinidad quite a bit. The new Trinidad releases I feel are especially overpriced, though they still sell out quickly on 24:24. I hope they will come down in price a little over time as have other new releases in the past. There are still some well priced cigars if you get them on special or clearance like RASS, Epicure 2s, HUHC etc that form the backbone of my rotation.

In Aus the tax is the main cost. And that goes up every year. I find NCs just as expensive ad CCs given your mainly paying for weight.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

NCs being cheaper than CCs is news to me. Sure, there are probably more $20+ NCs but the average premium NC is in the $8-10 range as are most premium CCs. 

And good luck finding $3-4 NCs that can compete in any way with CCs in that price range. 

NCs have the advantage of a large number of web sites selling them if you are buying online.     If you know what you want, and are patient and fanatical about it, most NCs go on sale at crazy discounts from time to time.

• Like 1

It's all about avoiding taxes and finding deals at vertically integrated supply chains.

If the same umbrella owns the manufacturer and retailer, you can find crazy deals. If you have the opportunity to buy at low/zero tobacco tax, that will help too!

QC is an issue, say if 10% of CC is 'off,' then you'll have some value lost. A PerfectDraw and figuring out your individual tastes in regards to humidity and dryboxing should get you down to 1-3% failure rate on CC, and <1% on NC.

For what NC I like, there are rarely deals except for volume; so regular production CC, even with QC failure is as about as good as you can get.

3 hours ago, SenorPerfecto said:

China? Wait til the US smartens/opens up. You want hoovering?

Do a little back of envelope math and guess what prices will be like. Then take a deep breath and think which venues will have them first. I'll park my coin here, thank you

Dont pay UK prices mate... Ive never heard of NCs being cheaper. At least not NCs that can compete with CC $6 robustos or $5 PCs. Im aleays spending 10-15 bucks on the latest hype NC that had zero complexity and was a "pretty good" smoke

• Like 3

Like @FireDigger posted, Cohiba, Trinidad, especially new releases, but even Fundys are way overpriced compared to the list price in Cuban shops. Any LE, RE, new releases and if it gets a good rating in Cigar Aficionado,  forget about it. I for one won't pay their inflated asking prices anymore or on a very rare occasion. I used to buy boxes of Espys, Winnys, and Coro but its been quite a few years since I have. If you stick to other brands, with a box price, during sales. For instance, from a minuto size to pc, robustos, pyramids and even RYJ Churchills recently. Thats $ 4.75 up to $12 a stick. I just remain patient, figure out the codes I would like to purchase on some of those cigars, wait for a sale. It's still reasonable vs. N.C. cigars. It's all supply and demand but if people wouldn't pay unreasonable prices, it could be better, but I'm not holding my breath. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dimi68 said:

$35 Aussie for BRC

Damn, that is crazy. Your govt. Must think cigars are evil and are obviously trying to tax them out of existence. Hopefully you have another route for them. Sad how big government wants to get all involved in our personal life choices. I believe cigars got lumped in with all other tobacco, that has been determined to be cancer causing. Ie. Cigarettes and chewing tobacco. Further, children are not users of premium cigars. Govt. Overreach....  :(

• Like 2

19 hours ago, FatPete said:

Prices have gone up on all cigars, and Cohiba and less so Trinidad quite a bit. The new Trinidad releases I feel are especially overpriced, though they still sell out quickly on 24:24. I hope they will come down in price a little over time as have other new releases in the past. There are still some well priced cigars if you get them on special or clearance like RASS, Epicure 2s, HUHC etc that form the backbone of my rotation.

Agree with Trinidads being overpriced!

• Like 1

As someone from the UK, i am in agreement with the OP and even though i've only been smoking cigars just over 5 years, we have seen a mix of slow-drip price increases on some marcas, and outright price-gouging on others. 

When i started smoking a 10 box of Monte 5 used to be under £100. not anymore. A single Mag 50 is now around £25! A Cohiba lancero is around £45! Yes, that's pounds sterling!  

And yes, part of the art of being a working-class cigar smoker is the hunt for honest online vendors. But there was a time if you wanted a few singles on the quick, you could get some locally without weeping. :) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Joeyjojo said:

When i started smoking a 10 box of Monte 5 used to be under £100. not anymore. A single Mag 50 is now around £25! A Cohiba lancero is around £45! Yes, that's pounds sterling!  

That's surely a result of taxes. World price for Monte 5 10s is about $60 USD. And it would apply equally to NCs and CCs in the UK.

I'm still not sure why NCs would represent a better bargain than CCs for the average premium stick. And as I and others have mentioned, a NC under $5 is not a cigar you'd want to smoke. PLPC, SPNP, RGPC, PLMC and Party Shorts are all $5 cigars. 'Nuff said.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sw15825 said:

Damn, that is crazy. Your govt. Must think cigars are evil and are obviously trying to tax them out of existence. Hopefully you have another route for them. Sad how big government wants to get all involved in our personal life choices. I believe cigars got lumped in with all other tobacco, that has been determined to be cancer causing. Ie. Cigarettes and chewing tobacco. Further, children are not users of premium cigars. Govt. Overreach....  :(

I don't think americans appreciate how lucky they have it getting cigars through the mail without massive taxes.

I truly can't understand it.

But makes sense why there are so many US buyers here.

There aren't other routes to get cigars into the country through the mail without paying the taxman.

• Like 1

Just now, Hammer Smokin' said:

I don't think americans appreciate how lucky they have it getting cigars through the mail without massive taxes.

I truly can't understand it.

But makes sense why there are so many US buyers here.

There aren't other routes to get cigars into the country through the mail without paying the taxman.

Oh, we do. Of all the things the government lets slide for the most part it's CCs. Don't know why but we are extraordinarily lucky they do. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Oh, we do. Of all the things the government lets slide for the most part it's CCs. Don't know why but we are extraordinarily lucky they do. 

That's why I have been saying for years, "Please don't make them legal here". It will screw up the quality for everyone and increase prices 2 to 3 fold...

• Like 4