Cuban cigars got really expensive...

11 minutes ago, sw15825 said:

That's why I have been saying for years, "Please don't make them legal here". It will screw up the quality for everyone and increase prices 2 to 3 fold...

Yes, I think we all acknowledge we're better off with the Embargo as things stand today. Tax break, particularly in various states which can be quite onerous and demand is limited to those who actively seek out mostly boxes of CCs with no middleman with enough ease to limit reselling, keeping imports to essentially personal use. It's an ideal situation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sw15825 said:

That's why I have been saying for years, "Please don't make them legal here". It will screw up the quality for everyone and increase prices 2 to 3 fold...

And ... they taste better knowing you’re not supposed to have them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dimi68 said:

Five years ago I had a wine cooler nowadays I keep only a desktop 80 count. Thanks to Aussie Taxes.

Import duty is A$1300 per kilo 

about to go to $1500 a kilo + 10% GST

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, kalibratecuba said:

This question may be slightly off topic, but falls in line with the rising cost of CC.

Has the Por Larranaga Petit Coronas increased in price by 40% in the last month? There over $300 now!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

HSA annual price increase came out in May.

Outside of sale prices PLPC were $300 or thereabouts prior. 

Right now it is simply a case of "supply and demand" Most distributors/retailers are way down in stock levels. The reasoning is simply that HSA can't ship out enough stock due to current air freight restrictions. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Monterey said:

How much? if you are able to share.

Mix dependent on the cigars. It would not be appropriate to share but similar to last years. A tad less. 

• Like 1

I find CC less than NC for the most part. At least the ones I’d purchase. There’s so many NC’s you could always find a deal on a crappy cigar that isn’t selling and heavily discounted. But I’d rather smoke an average petit corona CC. And go with a lonsdale, Corona, or #2 for a change if I get bored with PC or want a longer smoke. 

• Like 4

On 6/23/2020 at 7:40 PM, Monterey said:

Uh, no.  We get to worry that our government will just confiscate our boxes.

You're more likely to get hit by a bus since 2010. And vendors are very understanding of that situation if it ever were to arise.

On 6/23/2020 at 6:52 PM, kalibratecuba said:

Has the Por Larranaga Petit Coronas increased in price by 40% in the last month? There over $300 now!

I must have missed the day PLPC was $215! 

PLPC is typically in the high $200s off sale and sale prices have been $230-250 since at least 2015. 

• Like 3

There are some things keeping a spreadsheet on all cigar purchases do well for me, and that’s seeing trends in prices. Do I see increases on some of the cigars I like. Yes I do. Some like the BBF have had a great year in terms of quality and popularity. Prices are up a tad on those for me at least. Other cigars I like are flat or specials can be had for the patient. 

But watch you Monday and Friday 24:24. Still some values to be had there. Set an alarm. 

The biggest expense of buying Cuban Cigars in America is the fact, you essentially have to buy a box.

NC cigars are a lot more flexible, you can buy a five pack, get a few singles at your B&M. Generally, less money up front.

Many good boutique NC Cigars are as expensive as regular production Cuban Cigars. $10 plus range in not uncommon for boutique sticks.

In fact, I rarely buy a box of NC boutique cigars because I can pay less for regular production Cuban Cigars.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ElLoboLoco said:

The biggest expense of buying Cuban Cigars in America is the fact, you essentially have to buy a box.

I think this is exactly what tamps down demand enough for Uncle Sam not to care. Only those who are knowledgeable and familiar enough with a particular cigar are buying, which means only those seeking it out and not the curious average US cigar smoker.

3 hours ago, ElLoboLoco said:

Not true. I have two friends that have gotten the letter.

Walking the tightrope a bit here...

As do I, but not since 2010. Since then it would be extremely rare. I happen to know from multiple trusted vendors that these incidents have dropped to effectively zero in the last 10 years, certainly in the last 5 years.

I will say that there are vendors that would not be considered trusted but may sell genuine products that operate or ship from particular geographic locations that are "red flags" for higher scrutiny. Certain middle eastern countries fall into this category. I have heard of "disappearances" when dealing with these vendors but no letters. Trusted vendors from traditional locations are a totally different story.

12 hours ago, medzikone said:

I saw PLPC for $220 last week. Today $235. Still good price for the quality

$220 is fantastic. Lowest I've seen in several years. I would jump on that all day.