WINNER ANNOUNCED!! Word of the Week Comp #40

Word of the Week #40  

92 members have voted

1. 1. The word charette (n.) means...

• A dance or jig that impersonates another's dancing style, often in mockery.
    • A small fragment of charcoal.
    • A female child used in a confidence scam.
    • A period of intense work or creative activity undertaken to meet a deadline.

This poll is closed to new votes

Some slight tweaks to the comp for 2020... 

Every week we're going to have a poll about the definition of a forgotten or obscure word. From the four options pick the definition you believe to be the correct one. Voters who pick the correct definition go into the draw for an El Pres Sampler!!  :party: (Drawn Tuesday morning, Brisbane time. Please note: Polls don't show on Tapatalk, but you can participate via a web version of the site)

NO GOOGLING OR DICTIONARY USE! We're using the honour system. It's just a bit of fun. If you know, you know. If you don't, have a stab in the dark or an educated guess (if you prefer that term). ;)

You may elaborate about your choice in the topic thread below if you wish but no posting of any official definitions, etc., that will give away the game for others. 

Now you know the drill, vote away! :thumbsup: Good luck and may this comp prove to be a fun palaestra that turns us all into better word-grubbers, if you know what I mean...

Funny, as I clicked into this I thought “am I EVER going to see a word I actually recognize”? Then it happened.

55 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

do we have a correct spelling? can't possibly be expected to get it right if not spelt correctly. at least, that is my excuse. 

Yep, spelt correctly. But has a variant double-r spelling. No excuses, Ken. ;)

Guessed least like likely to me and bingo!