• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loved this one. Came across it in "Tribe of Mentors"    “The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that  the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of dou

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” — Sigmund Freud”

“Murder hornets, I feel like we forgot about murder hornets.”

• Like 1

"Ars longa, vita brevis"

(Art is eternal, life is short)

Hippocrates - on a fridge magnet, no less...

Sent from Cosmos Redshift 7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This one seems apropos, given our current situation. (Could also be used to describe those who have well stocked humidors and some well-aged smokes on hand. ? )

"The future belongs to those who prepare for it. "

-Ralph Waldo Emerson 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LLC said:

If you can’t be on time, be early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the military we used to say - You are either on time, or you are late. There is no such thing as early. 

Might actually consider taking this one seriously:

Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Proverbs 31: 6-7

• Like 4

22 hours ago, dominattorney said:

From music, its a toss up for me between two lines from Visions of Johnanna by Bob Dylan. 

The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face

Or

Mona Lisa must've had them highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles. 

was listening to this fantastic song a few days ago. 

• Like 2

• JohnS changed the title to Your quote for June 2020

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and the intervals between them...

-Winston Churchill

• Like 2

I provided my own favorite June 2020 quote Thursday night during a Zoom gathering of high school mates.

We had been Zooming for a while when Sam joined us with his video turned off. I heard him say, “Look at Santa Claus!” I haven’t had a haircut since a March and being really tired of the, Ho, Ho, Ho! thing and I snapped. Here is the quote:

”F&#* you and f@$& Santa! If you think I look like that tosser, you can kiss my f@$&ing A$$!”

Sam’s video had switched on by then and I found myself looking into the bulging eyes of Sam’s three year old grandson.

There wasn’t a dry seat in the house...

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

This has always been my favorite quote -- "If your going to be dumb, you better be tough".  Say it to others occasionally, say it to myself, all the time.

In this current time of the factional culture wars, with hatred seemingly everywhere I have two. 

1, Jo Cox (Labour MP)    "we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us"

Although subsequently murdered by a far right extremist, I think Jo Cox is bang on the money, if you get the chance to talk to someone for long enough, the walls bit by bit come down, and you start to see that we often have the same passions, and place importance on the same things. 

2, Paul O'Connell (Irish Rugby Player)      "assume that the man to the left and right of you are good blokes.... and let them prove you wrong"

Love this one.   It was in reference to team building.   Without knowing it (especially in the last 10yrs) I think we often approach people with suspicion and prejudice. It would be great if we could do the opposite more, and approach strangers with the optimism that the next person you meet, might turn out to be one of your new best mates. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, JohnnyO said:

Mr. President... A miracle should not be plan A

Last I heard from the forum owner here, US politics are off limits. You really want to ride that train? 

Last I heard from the forum owner here, US politics are off limits. You really want to ride that train? 
To be fair quite a few countries have presidents and obviously those without male presidents can't be 'Mr President'. The origin of this mysteriously anodyne and unoriginal quote therefore remains an open book...

Sent from Cosmos Redshift 7