Quotes and the like.

Something you came across, something you read/ re-read. Whatever it was (quote/passage in a book/poem) something that made you prop, stop and pay attention during the month :thinking:

Share it with us ! :cigar:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loved this one. Came across it in "Tribe of Mentors"    “The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that  the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of dou

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” — Sigmund Freud”

I have fond childhood memories growing up on Mahalani Circle in Kaneohe, of wanting nothing more than to be outside with my friends, exploring the neighborhood and beyond, occasionally getting in over my head in the school of hard knocks. All the while, my older sister who is now a respected professor and author herself, was perfectly content staying indoors, day after day, reading book after book in her room. I never understood her infatuation with the written word and the great authors, but was secretly impressed with her ability to read novels like “For whom the Bell Tolls” in a day.

Some 50 years later, I have to admit I’ve only read a handful of great books cover to cover. But the one that left a lasting impression was Bertrand Russell’s “A History of Western Philosophy”. Took me the better part of 2 years, but it was a memorable journey, to say the least. He struck me as an amazing source of history, knowledge and common sense. 

That said, I’m far more in tune with the philosophers of music, and those who poetically shed light on the vast ironies extant in everyday life. Lately, one such musician I’ve had my ear on is the ever rebellious, often troubled, awkwardly talented Todd Snider. His head-on take on life almost always resonates perfectly with mine. A simple line from his song “If Tomorrow Never Comes” sticks in my head recently:

”If I judge the judgmental, then what am I”?

Why is money called dough? Because we all knead it.

• Haha 4

From music, its a toss up for me between two lines from Visions of Johnanna by Bob Dylan. 

The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face

Or

Mona Lisa must've had them highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles. 

This month I read Educated by Tara Westover. It’s about her life - from being raised by a family that mistrusts the “medical and educational establishment”, never attending school and ending up with a PhD from Cambridge. Full of great quotes, but this one in particular has made me think a lot about life choices and agency.

“Whomever you become, whatever you make yourself into, that is who you always were”

• Like 4

Not a fan of this dude but one heck of a quote. 

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones. - Donald Rumsfeld 

"No matter where you go,there you are. "

"It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. "

"You can't fix stupid."

" He showed up unarmed to a battle of wits."

" Don't measure me by your yardstick. "

" There are only two kinds of drivers,Idiots and Maniacs. "

• Like 2

"Don't ever be ashamed of loving the strange things that make your weird little heart happy"

- Elizabeth Gilbert (Of "Eat Pray Love")

"Why do so many people focus on changing others, but not themselves ?"

I came across this question on Quora while searching online this month for answers to what is going on in our world in these Crazy, Crazy times. The thoughts in this paragraph are my own. I have been as confused, as probably most of us are and ask myself many mornings when I wake up, " Is this all a dream?" Why do I feel like I'm in the twilight zone ? What the F**k has happened to humankind ? Corona virus, trusted servants killing another human being on tv while concerned citizens begged the officer to stop. Black lives matter protests against systemic racism. Many people taking advantage of the chos then looting, burning buildings, the protests happening all over the world against the killing of African American individuals dying in police custody. Covid 19 cases rising in many states who opened commerce back up with little plans on how to facilitate the opening in a safer manner. Feeling like my country is a giant ship, with no captain present to guide us safely through all of the shallow waters. On-going crises that are seem to continue to happen every day. Media outlets who politicize stories, twisting facts, showing only the worst of what's in the news. Encouraging further devisions, on all sides, at least certainly in the U.S. Feeling embarrassed of our country, it's leadership and it's citizens for seemingly having closed minds, taking sides and believing they know what it's like to walk in someone else's shoes. I for one, have been guilty of thinking in the ways I was conditioned, taught or "domesticated" as it often phrased. I realize that I need to be part of the change...

"Why do so many people focus on changing others, but not themselves ?"

Do you know what I think? Do you? What I am going to tell you really is not a secret, but it is a “big” pill to swallow if you are as self consumed as most are. It is that narcissistic survival ego trip where the power of self worth is over shadowed by the fear of being judged. It is easier to be on top of the pile, than with the other bottom feeders, when it comes to having say in a world. I want to facilitate everything and everyone to my convenience. The reason it is easier to try to change the world instead of ourselvess because of what we have come to accept as the undeniable path to self fulfillment…SELFISHNESS.

I am as guilty of this trap. It is beyond the want, for all things eventually pass. It cannot be just another motion to placate our ego, for the insatiable hurt on others invariably causes stretch cracks into the thick facade of the wearer. I believe the root answer is found in our...  FEARS.

It was not until we separated that this anomaly became a method by which our collective unity became infected with the idea of thought. The "we" became the  "I" and so division consumed the whole. Some formed to rise above others, peace became war, and life took flesh to become dead.

If we change our focus to change ourselves, will we not have a more profound ability to change the world?

Just think…    " Keith Randall "

• JohnS changed the title to Your quote for June 2020
  • El Presidente changed the title to Quotes and the like.