Quotes and the like.

2 minutes ago, Akela3rd said:

To be fair quite a few countries have presidents and obviously those without male presidents can't be 'Mr President'. The origin of this mysteriously anodyne and unoriginal quote therefore remains an open book...

Sent from Cosmos Redshift 7

I'm from the US and can read between the lines. I know exactly what he is talking about. 'Nuff said. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loved this one. Came across it in "Tribe of Mentors"    “The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that  the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of dou

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” — Sigmund Freud”

The Auburn Creed

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.

I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all.

I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.

I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.

-George Petrie (1943)

• Like 4

My second favorite quote - and one that seems very fitting for this forum:

"It is a funny thing about life: if you refuse to accept anything but the best, you often get it"

W. Somerset Maugham

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 2:32 PM, Joker said:

Opportunities to find deeper powers in ourselves come when life seems most challenging” - Joseph Campbell

You pinched my line Tony ?

• El Presidente changed the title to Quotes and inspirations that make you stop and prop.

Initially passed to me by a forum member who unfortunately no longer seems to frequent the place.. it was a dark time for me and surprisingly many a member here I've never met reached out and helped more than they'll know, ole pres included  

The Serenity Prayer is a prayer written by the American theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It is commonly quoted as:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. 

Originally published: 1951

• Like 4

On 6/25/2020 at 6:38 AM, El Presidente said:

Loved this one. Came across it in "Tribe of Mentors" 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that  the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" 

Bertrand Russell

1872-1970

Over a year ago, but it feels like this last year and a half feels like it's really proved this point.

Social media does a lot to propogate utterly nonsensical views, as anyone with half a brain knows to steer clear of the conversation and let the more educationally challenged crack on. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...